logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
go3d  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:37:50 PM(UTC)
go3d

When I rotate a model in wireframe mode the display changes to shaded whilst rotating and then it returns to wireframe when the rotation stops.
Is this normal? I am new to ViaCAD... do I need to change some preferences? I expected the model to remain as wireframe the whole time.
Steve.M  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:23:34 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

Go to the "View" menu -> Shade options. Change the "Dynamic shade" to wireframe.

- Steve
go3d  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:05:35 PM(UTC)
go3d

Thanks for that Steve.

It does seem to be that I can't have my shade options set to wireframe rotation when in wireframe mode and simultaneously have shaded rotation when I click over to shaded mode, which is a bit odd.
Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:42:35 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: go3d Go to Quoted Post
which is a bit odd.

Welcome to the world of VC.

- Steve
go3d  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:58:37 PM(UTC)
go3d

Didn't they use to say "it works the way you think" :rolleyes:
Or am I thinking of some other CAD package?
NickB  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:11:05 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It does work the way you think.
You just have to think different.:rolleyes:
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
jol  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:05:24 AM(UTC)
jol

"It works the way it likes !"

Well, it can be quirky software - I don't think that helps new users, but you soon get used to the quirks.

That said, I dont really want to defend such ambiguities - they shouldn't be there.
Steve.M  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:25:35 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
It does work the way you think.
You just have to think different.:rolleyes:

Thats true :D

When using VC, I usually think, "Why the heck did it do that" :D
zumer  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:59:40 PM(UTC)
zumer

A shaded silhouette with highlights takes less computation to approximate in movement than a complex wireframe with lots of curves and vertices. Using unsophisticated onboard graphics, Shark/VC 3D navigation is much smoother than TurboCAD's. TC's 3D navigation takes a redraw hit in draft render that PunchCAD doesn't.
Steve.M  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:00:11 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: zumer Go to Quoted Post
Using unsophisticated onboard graphics, Shark/VC 3D navigation is much smoother than TurboCAD's.

Are you using onboard graphics?

I have seen it before where some have jumped into a thread to try and defend VC/Sharks outdated display, usually putting forward how a dedicated CAD graphics card is needed for correct display, but now you put forward that the display is intended to help those with onboard graphics. lol. Its now 2010, not 1990.
zumer  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:49:52 AM(UTC)
zumer

I'm not defending anything. I have VC on an older laptop and Shark on a more recent desktop with onboard and card, and various versions of TurboCAD on both and I've got the opportunity to make the comparison. lol
go3d  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2010 5:01:57 AM(UTC)
go3d

As far as I can tell, the shade options seem to give the user all the variants they need if performance is an issue for their graphics card, and all sorts of high & low spec computers are catered for, to some degree.
What I would like to see is the abilty to change the dynamic shading mode from wireframe to shading as I click on the shaded mode or wireframe mode icon on the tool set.
At the moment I can have dynamic shading to be one or the other, not both for me to flick between as I work.
Coming from using Unigraphics it's just something that I am used to.
In design reviews I am always switching back and forth from dynamic shading to wireframe, on the fly, as I interrogate a CAD model.
This is not a gripe...I will adapt to the ViaCAD ways but I will feel I it could allow me to work faster. Anyone else feel this way?
I can't imagine that it would be hard to apply and hope Punch! might agree with me...or even better for someone to show me it already can be done.
posh.de  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:38:09 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
I have seen it before where some have jumped into a thread to try and defend VC/Sharks outdated display, usually putting forward how a dedicated CAD graphics card is needed for correct display, but now you put forward that the display is intended to help those with onboard graphics. lol. Its now 2010, not 1990.

all [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL"]OpenGL[/URL] based 3D CAx applications are relying for quality of output (= avoiding display glitches and artefacts) on the OGL support of the used video driver and for output speed of display transformations (move, rotate, zoom, orbit etc.) on the used [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPU"]Graphics Processing Unit[/URL] (GPU).

lame, so called 'shared' video solutions as e.g. the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA"]Intel GMA series[/URL] built in low-end note-/netbooks are typically not the type of video solution elaborated above but optimized for internet/office purposes.

because of this, major graphics card makers are providing specialized solutions optimized for CAx purposes as e.g. the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadro_FX"]nVidia Quadro FX series[/URL] (made by PNY) or the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firegl"]ATI FirePro series[/URL] (formerly FireGL).

because Shark/VC's limited OGL requirements often do work well w/ the OGL driver stack of (dedicated) consumer cards too, buying a medium/big GeForce instead of a small Quadro FX will result in a better price-performance ratio.

htc,
Norbert
go3d  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:14:45 PM(UTC)
go3d

Quote:
What I would like to see is the abilty to change the dynamic shading mode from wireframe to shading as I click on the shaded mode or wireframe mode icon on the tool set.
At the moment I can have dynamic shading to be one or the other, not both for me to flick between as I work.

Quote:
In design reviews I am always switching back and forth from dynamic shading to wireframe, on the fly, as I interrogate a CAD model.
This is not a gripe...I will adapt to the ViaCAD ways but I will feel I it could allow me to work faster. Anyone else feel this way?
I can't imagine that it would be hard to apply and hope Punch! might agree with me...or even better for someone to show me it already can be done.

OK..looks like I have to quote myself to bring this thread back to my question.;)
I think we've got the merits of different graphics cards for PC users all sewn up now.:)

I hope that someone may still like to respond to my question, as I feel I may be missing a trick here.
NickB  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2010 9:16:28 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Not sure if this will help, as it doesn't exactly flip things the way that you would like.

You can program keyboard shortcuts under:
File / Shortcuts / Render for
Wireframe / Gouraud
Wireframe / GouraudEdges
Wireframe / Phong
Wireframe / PhongEdges

I played with them a bit and they do appear to change the dynamic and static settings but are a little slow.

Generally I like to have dynamic render set to to either Gouraud or Phong shaded mode as I find it easier to see what I am rotating than when I am in wireframe mode - my preferred mode for modeling.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
go3d  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:38:43 PM(UTC)
go3d

Thanks for your reply Nick. That's a useful tip for me to know.
If I could customise the shortcuts further I could get what I need, but it seems that I can't. That's OK though, at least I know now.

What I would like is the ability to add 2 shortcut keys:
1 key for wireframe (static) / wireframe (dynamic)
1 key for Gouraud (static) / Gouraud (dynamic)

2 shortcut keys like that would allow me to easily flip between the 2 modes.
My use of a 3Dconnexion space navigator might have something to do with me wanting to keep flipping between dynamic wireframe and shaded when modelling.

I'll put this shortcut key idea in the suggestions and hope the idea gets picked up in a future patch.