logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
go3d  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 4, 2010 4:56:15 AM(UTC)
go3d

DraftSight for Mac is coming very soon according to this blog which also has a screenshot.

http://www.rickyjordan.com/2010...-draftsight-for-mac.html

I recognise it as a 2D version of the 2D/3D Ares Commander for Mac.

Priced at $0 :eek: and although offering 2D only, it could prove to be a major challenge to the newly announced AutoCAD for Mac, that I have heard is rumoured to be priced around $4000? :(

I am sure that I'll eagerly download it as soon as it is out and may need it now and again to import/export some customer AutoCAD DWG if the VC importer screws up on any text etc.
But I'll stick to using VC as my workflow is 3D only or 3D to 2D, not just 2D drafting. But I think it makes good news for Mac users & cheers for that Dassault. :D

The quality of the drawing text in the image reminded me of how my 2D drawings end up looking when I print to PDF from VC on the Mac. :rolleyes:
misterrogers  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 4, 2010 11:48:54 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Thanks, it looks like a very viable alternative to Autocad. I would however, like to see Solid Works ported over to the mac. I understand at the beginning of this year there was a mac version (beta?) exhibited?
go3d  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 4, 2010 8:10:12 PM(UTC)
go3d

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
I would however, like to see Solid Works ported over to the mac. I understand at the beginning of this year there was a mac version (beta?) exhibited?

I believe that it turned out to be an example of platform independent cloud computing. Because they demoed it on a mac everyone naturally got excited that a mac native version of Solidworks existed. Dassault claim they have no plans for a native mac version.

http://www.rickyjordan.com/2010...dworks-in-the-cloud.html
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:50:48 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: go3d Go to Quoted Post
Dassault claim they have no plans for a native mac version.

That's not what I read. But Dassault are being really coy. You have to remember, Autodesk and Dassault are arch business enemies. I'm still really pleased with Autodesk making this announcement, Dassault on the other hand are probably too frightened of their shareholders and are waiting to see how successful ACAD Mac will be. This is common business practice.

I know that Moog Music did exactly the same thing to a small British company who made an electronic musical instrument called a Theremin. Moog said that the Theremin wouldn't be popular again, and they were wrong. Moog watched how Longwave Instruments shot to glory, before killing that company by bringing their own version out. Moog Music as you are probably aware, are very famous, and before making modular synthesizers, made a cheaper alternative to the $10,000 RCA Theremin in the 1960's.

Tom
misterrogers  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 5, 2010 9:50:01 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
That's not what I read. But Dassault are being really coy. You have to remember, Autodesk and Dassault are arch business enemies. I'm still really pleased with Autodesk making this announcement, Dassault on the other hand are probably too frightened of their shareholders and are waiting to see how successful ACAD Mac will be. This is common business practice.

Tom

I am no expert on solid works or acad, but the latter seems so primitive compared to SW. I don't know if the success of ACAD for mac will be the best gauge for Dassault to go off of. Most designers I have come across seem to stay away from autocad if they can help it. Solidworks appears much more able.

Although I hate using autocad, perhaps the Mac version will indeed be worthy. I just can't justify the price for what I do.

I've been saying the same about Rhino with their mac beta (v5 I believe). Rhino has some excellent spline and bezier drawing tools, and has SO MANY wonderful plug-ins, although it too can be somewhat clunky at times. I would be infinitely more inclined to purchase Rhino for mac before ACAD's mac version.
tmay  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 5, 2010 12:05:18 PM(UTC)
tmay

I know that Moog Music did exactly the same thing to a small British company who made an electronic musical instrument called a Theremin. Moog said that the Theremin wouldn't be popular again, and they were wrong. Moog watched how Longwave Instruments shot to glory, before killing that company by bringing their own version out. Moog Music as you are probably aware, are very famous, and before making modular synthesizers, made a cheaper alternative to the $10,000 RCA Theremin in the 1960's.

Tom

Not disagreeing, but another glitch on the road to an OSX version is that DSS is rumored to be pushing SW to their CATIA CGM kernel, so that SW can stop paying money to Siemens for Parasolids, and get full compatibility between its enterprise oriented CATIA and smaller and midsized business SW.

I would give best odds on Autodesk coming out with a native Inventor before we see a native SW. For all practical purposes, Autodesk owns all of the technology that they use, including Algor and MoldFlow simulation, the kernel, drafting (AutoCAD), and rendering. This reduces the risk of a software component supplier holding them up. That and Autodesk's commitment to OSX animation and film production, and Sketchbook on iPad.

Autodesk gets Mac.

the other tom
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 5, 2010 3:44:34 PM(UTC)
ttrw

I'm inclined to agree with you there tom. I think we may see quite a few currently windows only Adesk apps coming out on Mac over the next couple of years.

If you all study the videos of the new ACAD for Mac, you can see some quite sophisticated realtime NURBS stuff going on there. It'll be interesting where Adesk takes this.

Shark FX is still a very good alternative as well imo (if it were only for ease of use and the bugs).
go3d  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 5, 2010 8:26:50 PM(UTC)
go3d

I'm still really pleased with Autodesk making this announcement, Dassault on the other hand are probably too frightened of their shareholders and are waiting to see how successful ACAD Mac will be. This is common business practice.
Tom

They've also announced Catia Live Building recently to take on Revit. It'll be interesting to see what impact that makes on Autodesks grip on the AEC market.
ttrw  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2010 2:35:26 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: go3d Go to Quoted Post
They've also announced Catia Live Building recently to take on Revit. It'll be interesting to see what impact that makes on Autodesks grip on the AEC market.

They would! :rolleyes: It's like two great big overgrown boys comparing ****'s!

SketchUp 8 came out the other day. No BIM, but a lot better than these dinosaurs- if you don't expect too much out of it. :)
ZeroLengthCurve  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2010 10:32:29 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
They would! :rolleyes: It's like two great big overgrown boys comparing ****'s!

SketchUp 8 came out the other day. No BIM, but a lot better than these dinosaurs- if you don't expect too much out of it. :)

LOL!

In middle school, i decided to put a twist on "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" with "I'll show you yours if you show me mine", hehehe.

I wonder if the two companies will have the sp(l)ines to show each other's each other's....
go3d  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:19:50 PM(UTC)
go3d

I wouldn't want to get into an argument with any member of the Dassault family. I hear Solidworks' step-dad is a bit handy when it comes to a scrap :eek:
go3d attached the following image(s):
Mirage_2000.jpg (179kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
NickB  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:52:36 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just [URL="http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/"]downloaded[/URL] the beta, and promptly deleted it.
It requires X11 to run, so is not a true OS X app.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:37:58 AM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
X11 ..is it a developer kit tool from Apple?
METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
NickB  
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:47:14 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
To quote [URL="http://developer.apple.com/opensource/tools/x11.html"]Apples web site[/URL]:

X11 for Mac OS X is an implementation of the X Window System that makes it possible to run X11-based applications in Mac OS X. Based on the X.org Foundation releases -- the leading reference implementation of X11

Its a way to get programs that were written for Unix to run on OS X without having to re-write the interface sections. Siemens NX also requires X11 as do programs like the Gimp Open Source image editor.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ttrw  
#15 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 10:44:42 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
I just [URL="http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/"]downloaded[/URL] the beta, and promptly deleted it.
It requires X11 to run, so is not a true OS X app.

Really? Mine didn't. It ran without X11.

But it does have a horrible un-Mac interface. Opening a made-in-autocad 3D DWG file enabled me to orbit, but I couldn't for the likes of me work out how to look down from a top view, rendering the thing pretty useless. However I have to admit DraftSight's 2D ability is a lot better than that of Shark. So is DS's ability to properly print anything better than what Shark spits out of Shark's horrible pdf Mac output. :p

AutoCAD Mac will p**s all over this Dassault freeware rubbish! ;)
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#16 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 10:36:34 AM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Anayway, I think this type of free apps. aren't for us. Definitely, shark 2D is a big step over!
METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
ttrw  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 4:33:05 PM(UTC)
ttrw

If you want a reasonable decent 2D CAD application for the Mac, that doesn't cost the earth, buy a copy of QCad (13). I have QCad, and although basic, has all the tools to impress even the most difficult to please engineering clients. It even does simple nurbs! (in 2D of course!).