logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
giulio.piovene  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:08:45 PM(UTC)
giulio.piovene

Where can I get a demo of ViaCAD?
thx
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:06:22 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Hello Giulio

>>Where can I get a demo of ViaCAD?

There is no download demo for ViaCAD. The user interface is similiar to C2D and C3D which do have demo versions. There is also a product matrix on the website comparing the four products C2D, ViaCAD 2D/3D, Concepts 3D, and CU.

FYI, Punch provides a 90 money back on ViaCAD if it does not work out.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
GaryR54  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:39:23 PM(UTC)
GaryR54

Tim, can you give us a little more detail regarding the parametric and associative functions of ViaCAD? I take it ViaCAD functions much in the same way ArchiCAD does, i.e., changes made to the 3D model are associatively updated in real time in all 2D drawings, and vice-versa, right? If this is so, then this level of associative parametric functioning at this price level is an astounding bargain. Most CAD software with that capability costs thousands, if not tens of thousands.

Now, about the modeling tools; how close - or far - are they from the user-friendliness of SketchUp, my current favorite? Obviously, you've included tools that allow for more advanced modeling than SketchUp's toolset allows, and, having tried several applications that have such tools, my experience of them is that they typically have a much higher learning curve than SketchUp.

Gary
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:02:06 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Hi Gary,

>>more detail regarding the parametric and associative functions of ViaCAD?

ViaCAD supports associativity and a history tree. This allows you to change a parent object and all child update to a set of rules. Objects also have parametric values (but not dimension driven). For example:

1. Create a wireframe boundary from lines, splines, arcs, etc
2. Surface the boundry wires
3. Stitch wires to solid
4. Add feature operations (blend, shell, boolean)
5. Make 2D drawing

The associativity and history is built in the background as you go. If you were to modify a curve from #1, step 2,3,4,&5 will update.

>Now, about the modeling tools; how close - or far - are they from the user-friendliness of SketchUp,

I'm biased, but I think its pretty friendly. You may want to try the C3D demo to get a feel for it. But as you noted, the type of parts we can create vs sketchup are different. When we did the Sketchup translator it became more obvious to me as Sketchup only supports planar facets and planar boundaries.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
GaryR54  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2007 11:36:40 AM(UTC)
GaryR54

Thanks, Tim. The history tree concept sounds a little bit like the way Pro-E works, in a way, with object-oriented lists. So, basically, as in ArchiCAD, if I move a wall, everything that was attached to the wall will update along with whatever changes I've made.

What level of detail is possible? I know this is driven by my computer's RAM and processor speed, as well free disk space; for example, in SketchUp, you wouldn't want to make your walls contain all the physical layers of materials (sheathing, gyp board, studs, etc.) that the actual structure would have (unless you're doing a 3D detail), otherwise, your model becomes very slow to work with. I imagine the same applies to ViaCAD?

Granted that SketchUp's pretty limited and it's geometry rather simple, but, if ViaCAD can export to Catia, I imagine the modeling can get rather complex, as Catia is used by automotive stylists, who have to deal with compound curves, etc. This requires a level of 3D tools that is beyond most modelers on the market. Since ViaCAD is intended to be used by designers in every industry, I can understand how there is a possible balancing act to perform in terms of user-friendliness. You don't want your tools to be so complex that some market segments won't use them, but, on the other hand, you don't want to "dumb down" the tools for designers who are accustomed to a certain level of complexity, either. So, I imagine ViaCAD is somewhere beyond SketchUp, but how does it compare with, say, 3DS Max, again, in terms of user-friendliness? Bear in mind that I've tried many modelers and SketchUp is the best suited to my skill level, so I'm reluctant to buy something that I may not be able to use use effectively, or that I'll have to spend months learning. My primary interest is in architecture, not high-tolerance machinery or automotive styling, so I don't require a very sophisticated tool palette.

Gary