logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nabed  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:41:12 AM(UTC)
nabed

In addition to all the justified complaints about the bend to curve tool, I think that the "regular" bend tool needs some improvement too.

Today I discovered by accident/exploration/trial&error, that by pressing the key after defining the bend axis one can invert wich part of a solid is bent. Good to know! But why is there no trace of this information in the documentation, tool tips/prompts, anywhere?
The same is true for bend direction (up or down): Want to know how the bloody tool works: just try it (over and over again)!

Then even after I found out how to manipulate the bend, there is still no visual feedback what will happen. So still You have to try the different input combinations, to match the right one.

So what we have is a tool that from the geometrical point of view works flawlessly and can produce incredible results, but from the interface point of view is hardly usable or very tedious to use at best.
Come on, this shouldn't be too hard to fix!

Ciao, Norbert
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:18:11 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Today I discovered by accident/exploration/trial&error, that by pressing the key after defining the bend axis one can invert wich part of a solid is bent. Good to know! But why is there no trace of this information in the documentation, tool tips/prompts, anywhere?

The tool hint says "Option to Flip Bend" to indicate this particular feature.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
nabed  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:57:10 AM(UTC)
nabed

The tool hint says "Option to Flip Bend" to indicate this particular feature.[/QUOTE wrote:

Yeah, Your right actually. I obviously was too stupid to see it, and I even looked for it....:o

Still I think my suggestion about the visual feedback is valid.

Another small problem regarding the flip bend option: as far as I can tell there is no way to edit the direction of the bend through the feature tree.

And while I was playing with a solid with multiple bends today, I realized thatbends are very delicate when You try to edit them in the feature tree, the second edit resulted in a error message "unable to perform edit..." and after that the feature wasn't editible anymore at all, it was basically dead.
nabed  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:59:52 AM(UTC)
nabed

Quote:
The tool hint says "Option to Flip Bend" to indicate this particular feature.

Yeah, Your right actually. I obviously was too stupid to see it, and I even looked for it....:o
Sorry about that.

Still I think my suggestion about the visual feedback is valid.

Another small problem regarding the flip bend option: as far as I can tell there is no way to edit the direction of the bend through the feature tree.

And while I was playing with a solid with multiple bends today, I realized thatbends are very delicate when You try to edit them in the feature tree, the second edit resulted in a error message "unable to perform edit..." and after that the feature wasn't editible anymore at all, it was basically dead.

Ciao, Norbert
joev  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2007 11:47:32 AM(UTC)
joev

I thought someone was going to do some tutorials for the blend tool :o)
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2007 1:07:56 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>Still I think my suggestion about the visual feedback is valid.

Yes agree 100%. As you mentioned, its a great tool that is in need of a better user interface. Especially the bend along curve....
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2007 1:08:24 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

joev wrote:
I thought someone was going to do some tutorials for the blend tool :o)

I hear you:)
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore