logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gary  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:47:10 PM(UTC)
Gary

I would like to express some of my desires for 7.5 and hope others will chime in in support (or disagreement).

Primarily I would like to see Tim and team take the time to make the next big release not about features but more about the underpinnings and longstanding bugs and quirks.

I think Apple did a great thing with OSX 10.6 introduce a new version not focused on features, but focused on performance. I think Shark could greatly benefit from this and I would happily spend the money on an upgrade if:

1. perspective worked easily and reliable

2. tools worked really consistently and used the same paradigm

3. I could confidently use model to sheet, flatten views, and draft without line weights and text being either out of whack or very hard to understand

4. smooth display of all lines and end caps

5. a layers palette equal to competitive products

I am sure others can add to the list. The main goal is Shark has a great, easy, user interface, and acis is a great modeling core if energy was spent on making everything work, not more features, I think everyone would win (the developers and their users).

Gary
la mouche  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:35:40 AM(UTC)
la mouche

suggestions and requests for the future (near?) version of SharkFX.

1. click on the layer ---> highlights the objects in the scene. :eek:

2. click on an object ---> highlights the layer for this object. :eek::eek:

3. preview mode for rotating and mirror function. same AI

4. radiosity calculations much faster. currently, it is absolutely innutilisable ---> see competition with other programs.

5. correct .., completely rebuild the user interface rendering.
---> We do not know now, what materials for what object...:confused:

6. possibility zoom in very, very near to the ends of splines, lines.

7. correct rethink the text mode ----> edition of the text directly on the text and not in "inspector"

8. tubing with 1 clic with different sections to choose basic param©trics sections---> square, rectangle, triangle, oval, etc..

9. possiblility to distort the cut surfaces.

10. a preview ---->smoothed, fluid
11. cages deformation on volumes ---> twisting, stretching, etc..

i'm industrial designer, I do not use Shark for modeling type "body automotive". mode surface is too rigid.

12. correct settings of perspective. more ergonomic please.

13. please, please, to enter into a model in OpenGL and rendered mode. ----> For architectural projects

14. correct the many bugs in the 2d mode technical drawings. please, more professionalism in the engineering drawing 2d mode.

15. remove "pattern" on the lines. Just style mode.

16. and finally ... the cake: a library of screws ---> parameterics!!!!

Thanks and cordialy

Antoine
jol  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:20:48 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Great list Antoine !!
jlm  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 10:06:46 PM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Yes Antoine !
I'm with you !
JL
la mouche  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:36:20 AM(UTC)
la mouche

and it is the most important

Quote:
Quote:
And the main problem with Shark FX is still that it is not a stable program and it does not handle large files well.

Working with files that do contain a lot of elements and a mix of "lines/surfaces/solids" a.o., both imported from other systems and items created within Shark, can at times be a complete nightmare. You know there is only a matter of time before the program will crash, veru often destroying your file with it. For anything above a 100Mb file or so it seems the memory limit is kicking in fast and without warning Shark has crashed and your file is gone. So you have to save your multiple generations of a file every ten minutes and restart the program after a while. And opening and saving large files can take a looong time. And sometimes it will just crash when an operation does not succeed even on small not so complex files.

Posted from Birger

Antoine
Industrial designer
CAO Professor