logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Claus  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:21:07 PM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I love the CU/Shark product and use it every day. Congratulations with SharkFx.

OBJ export which I have been looking forward to is in fact unusable because it does neither export object names nor layers. When imported into Maxwell Render, the export file only contains a long list of generic ACIS object names and requires major work to reorganize into groups and layers.

I have not participated in the beta period because the constant download of new builds is disturbing my work and take away focus. But this issue, along with the 30" display issue mentioned in another thread, has been reported by myself and others almost since the first beta.

I find that it is random which bugs are corrected and which are passed through to the final release. In addition I have the impression that bugs that are found and fixed in one release may well turn up again in the next one. I would like to see a fix for OBJ exports if possible.

Claus
jol  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:07:59 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Claus - fully agree

It was brought up - but as you say, sometimes things are heard - other times, well .. not so much !

http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=782

and

http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=783
Mark  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 6:39:49 PM(UTC)
Mark

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I also had a chance to go thru this experience.
It is major hassle when you try to work with object containing thousands of parts.

We really need to have an option to preserve color, groups and layers when exporting to OBJ.
Intel iMac-20,2 | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 | SharkCAD 14 |
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2008 3:03:03 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>> OBJ export which I have been looking forward to is in fact unusable >>because it does neither export object names nor layers. When imported >>into Maxwell Render, the export file only contains a long list of generic >>ACIS object names and requires major work to reorganize into groups
>>and layers.

I just tested 737, it seems to export names fine (into cinema 4d). If you turn off export by faces, it will export the each object as one named body.

I did not think obj format supported layer names. Perhaps someone else can correct me if it does.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jol  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2008 3:21:47 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tim .. I'm sure it supports colours, yet everything arrives white in Maxwell !

What is needed (other than colours) is a grouping method .. either groups or layers would be fine in order to get things organised again at the Maxwell end !

Thanks
Claus  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2008 2:56:28 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Tim Olson wrote:
>> it seems to export names fine

Tim

You are right. I name the layers, not the objects, because an object you want to render or 3d print does not have to be a single part but may consist of several parts.
Tem  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2008 1:22:51 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I think that if parts are to be rendered/printed in a program outside of Shark/SharkFX, it would be helpful to have a way of exporting groups of parts that would be assigned the same material finish as a group/layer. This makes sense when opening in Cinema4D, as it cuts down on a ton of manual organization time. Maybe, this is how it already works. If so I will go catch up on some sleep.
Cheers!
Tem