logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David Gross  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:37:27 AM(UTC)
David Gross

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I'm not sure if it started in service pack 2 or 3 of Concepts Unlimited, but I have been having trouble with selecting lines, end points, mid points, ect. ect. when the lines or edges get close together as in a few thousands when zoomed in very close. I have to zoom out and hope that I pick the right one. Also heard mention of a possible service pack 4, it would be nice if this could fixed along with a number of other outstanding problems that have been reported in past. I am runner the PC version on both a desktop (Windows 2000) and a laptop (Windows Xp) and they both perform the same.

Thanks
David Gross
Dmg Design
Colgate, Wi.
nabed  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:59:46 AM(UTC)
nabed

I just wanted to start a thread to rant about all the problems CU has with snaps, but as You already opened one I might as well leave my comments here...

Snaps are nice as long as they work.
But unfortunately the list of bugs/strange behavior related to snaps is long and some of the problems go back years ago, yet remain unresolved (wich doesn't bode well for a quick resolution)

The most important problems I have to deal with on a daily basis are:

snaps basically don't work at all in perspective mode (no, clicking/snapping 1-2 cm around the actual point you want to snap to doesn't count as "it works").

Snaps don't work when you zoom to close(like David said).

Snaps tend to stop to function at all after some time working on a file.
Especially on bigger files or with many files open. The only workaround is to save all files and restart CU. Taking into account how much time opening/saving files can take, this can be sooo annoying.

I have to say I'm starting to get sick of old unresolved bugs, that needed to be adressed years ago.

Ciao, Norbert

P.S.: Forgot to mention this is the Mac Version Build 660 running under MacOs X.4.9
nabed  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 1, 2007 1:01:44 PM(UTC)
nabed

This is driving me nuts...

Snaps on complex files tend to stop functioning totally.

Tim (or anybody else), please tell me help is on its way....

Ciao, Norbert
Art  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2007 12:50:09 PM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Is help on the way?

This is pretty irritating.

Art

Mac/intel
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:26:29 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Does anyone have an example file with steps to repeat?

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:27:23 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Does anyone have an example file with steps to repeat regarding
--snaps stop working
--zooming in close cause wrong snap

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
nabed  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2007 10:05:08 AM(UTC)
nabed

When snaps stop working this usually doesn't seem to be connected to the file you're working on (restarting CU will "resolve" the problem-snapping will be back on the very same file it disappeared under), but to some diffuse conditions under wich CU is running.
It is very difficult to pinpoint these conditions, as far as I'm concerned my feeling (sic!) is, that

- the longer CU is running, the higher the probability for snaps to dissapear

- bigger files and more files open = higher the probability for snaps to dissapear

The whole thing reminds me of the old "cut and paste greyed out" - bug (wich now seems to be resolved apart from the "redo" greyed out part of it):
randomly and not repeatable, but there are certain conditions that make it more likely to happen.

Hope that helps.
Ciao, Norbert
jlm  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2007 3:12:47 PM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
As Norbert says, when the soft is tired it stops snaping.
I also give it a rest sometimes.
JL
nabed  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2007 6:04:04 PM(UTC)
nabed

jlm wrote:
.... when the soft is tired it stops snaping.
JL

LOL, I couldn't have said it better, You very much summed up my whole post in those few words.:D

Ciao, Norbert
Art  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2007 8:24:34 PM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Tim,

The file I sent under the title "Can't shell" is a good example. I honestly did not know that restarting corrected the problem. I just assumed that it was a terrible bug.

What I end up doing is zooming out until the item is selectable.

So, to repeat the problem, zoom in tight and try to select with a click; zoom out and it will work. I have also attached a movie that show me trying to blend.

Art

Macintel 2.66 4 gig ram

I just tried it again and restarting DID NOT correct it. I corrected permissions and it fixed it. It happened again, I restarted, it fixed it. So, I guess if restarting doesn't fix it on a MAC, rebuild permissions. But to be honest, it happens so often, it really is not a workable solution.

Tim,

Please send us a note if you can or can't reproduce the problem. Thanks
Tim Olson  
#11 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2007 8:13:48 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

David Gross wrote:
I'm not sure if it started in service pack 2 or 3 of Concepts Unlimited, but I have been having trouble with selecting lines, end points, mid points, ect. ect. when the lines or edges get close together as in a few thousands when zoomed in very close. I have to zoom out and hope that I pick the right one. Also heard mention of a possible service pack 4, it would be nice if this could fixed along with a number of other outstanding problems that have been reported in past. I am runner the PC version on both a desktop (Windows 2000) and a laptop (Windows Xp) and they both perform the same.

Thanks

David, many thanks for sending that file!!! It was very repeatable, and thus fixable. I've got the correction in beta builds for 729.

FYI, the problem had to do with checking snaps zoomed in and integer math roundoff. Again that file was critical for identifying where in the code the problem was!
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore