logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dickon  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:17:40 AM(UTC)
Dickon

In 2d mode I have really got used to the xy location being available and editable from the top menu bar, having just purchased 2d/3d version I find it very surprising that this info is not available and editable in the same way for selected 3d objects, perhaps I am missing something? its got to be displayed somewhere....mmmmmmm.
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:23:21 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Dickon wrote:
In 2d mode I have really got used to the xy location being available and editable from the top menu bar, having just purchased 2d/3d version I find it very surprising that this info is not available and editable in the same way for selected 3d objects, perhaps I am missing something? its got to be displayed somewhere....mmmmmmm.

Should be there. The data entry window adds the "z" component when in 3D mode. You need something selected. Try going to the arrow tool and selecting a line to see if it appears.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Dickon  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:40:45 PM(UTC)
Dickon

it seems to do that for every primitive except the block primitive. for that object I just get length, width and height.
jol  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:51:46 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Good Question Dickon !

Why the inconsistencies here ?

If we're showing XYZ coordinates .. why not for blocks ?
Steve.M  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2008 12:17:01 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

I am not really sure how the x/y/z position is useful unless an objects origin can be adjusted or automatically placed at its center.

For the 3 different types of blocks that can be created, each will have a different origin based of the creation method. So, for example, you could have 3 blocks exactly the same size and seen (on screen) as being in the same position, but the origins (xyz) could all be very much different.

Its like if you look at a sphere,... create a sphere with center/rad, and yes, you will know where its center is from the readout at the top,.. but create a sphere by diagonals and it xyz position is based on the first point made, so its position is actually on its outer diameter.
The other solids are similar.

- Steve
jol  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2008 12:39:27 PM(UTC)
jol

tru dems !
Dickon  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2008 4:51:27 AM(UTC)
Dickon

I am not an experienced 3d user so my thoughts on this are either totally irrelevant to users with more experience or perhaps could be taken as a fresh look at the interface.
Surely maximum information availability for any object is a good thing in any case and yes that information should probably include an objects origin.It would seem somewhat logical that the origin would be the initial drawing point.
My comments arose due to experimenting with the 3d interface, drawing a rectangular based object in the wrong place and then wondering how do I correct that mistake, in this case I knew where the origin was but I could not find a way to correct its wrong elevation in a way that I expected to, ie via the information boxes in the title bar, in my opinion this is an inconsistency in the interface. Maybe it does not matter to more experienced user but it did to me.
Steve.M  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:40:32 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Dickson,

Dickon wrote:
I am not an experienced 3d user so my thoughts on this are either totally irrelevant to users with more experience
Certainly not to me, and I hope I did not put that forward in any way, if I did, or you took as such (from my post), then sorry.

Dickon wrote:
or perhaps could be taken as a fresh look at the interface.
I am a new user to Viacad/Shark myself, but have used cobalt in the past (which is very similar) and a number of others.
Fresh/new eyes on a product are always good (well I think so).

Dickon wrote:
Surely maximum information availability for any object is a good thing in any case and yes that information should probably include an objects origin.It would seem somewhat logical that the origin would be the initial drawing point.
More info the better, yes I would agree, but as to if that info is actually useful was the main point of my last post.

Dickon wrote:
My comments arose due to experimenting with the 3d interface, drawing a rectangular based object in the wrong place and then wondering how do I correct that mistake, in this case I knew where the origin was but I could not find a way to correct its wrong elevation in a way that I expected to, ie via the information boxes in the title bar, in my opinion this is an inconsistency in the interface. Maybe it does not matter to more experienced user but it did to me.
You will find just about all CAD systems the same (unless you go to the more advanced, such as Shark and start adding constraints)

I can understand your point and I suppose that over the years I have just got used to how these application work and what info is available and the tools that can be used etc.

I would be interested to see an example of your problem, then I (and possibly others) can show you how we work to change position of objects etc.
But please dont think we are better than you (I do not think so), it is just a case I and others have worked with this (type of) software for a while, so at least we can help to show you how to cope with what is available.

Regards,

- Steve
Dickon  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:10:41 AM(UTC)
Dickon

Hi Steve, thanks for your kind reply, well what I experienced a problem with was simply creating a rectangular block ( in plan view) on the horizontal plane so z = 0 (at first corner) and then attempted to move it to something like z = 30 with x and y co-ordinates remaining as created. it was a few weeks ago so these are principle details rather than exact figures, i have been a bit poorly so have not got back to it since.

regards,
Dickon
Steve.M  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:31:43 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Dickson,

First, just to clarify. If you first need to know the position of the corner of the block (or any end point/ midpoint etc) then you can use "Verify"~ "XYZ" then just pick a point on the block for a display of its position. There are also options to check "angle 3 pts" and "Distance pt~pt"

For moving, as in your example. select the block, select "move". At the top of the screen you will then see 3 fields (inputs) for dX / dY /dZ, for the movement you wanted of Z 30, then you would just enter 30 in the "dZ" as that will then move the object 30 in Z

Regards,

- Steve
Dickon  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2008 9:59:35 AM(UTC)
Dickon

thanks Steve I will give that a go.
tarmer  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2008 12:04:34 PM(UTC)
tarmer

That may be true but can't the position of a object's center be calculated despite how the user created it. BTW I just posted a thread in the suggestions forum on a info pallet that may be of relevance to the original post.

Toby