logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve.M  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:38:21 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have been looking more.

It appears one of my main problems was using the file uploaded, as that caused no end of problems.

I rebuilt and made an extra guide for the top to ensure straight sides and the output is looking much better.

- Steve (a little happier)
Steve.M attached the following image(s):
01.jpg (126kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Steve.M  
#22 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:48:39 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

After playing more, some findings.

1, Do not use cross sections that have been scaled.
2, Change the guide to an interpolate spline and add control point (if needed) to make sure a point is on the cross sections
3, If there is a large hight change, add a second guide to the top of the cross sections,

I still have to check further to test the results, as I have only been making checks by eye. Also, my findings are from "guide skin surface"

- Steve
Steve.M  
#23 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:45:57 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
I havent tried doing this in VC but what would happen if the user could not define the section exactly where the start of the curve happened to be. Can the user easily move the seam point on the profile curve or what would they need to do please, if anything ?

Some strange behavior:

Draw a circle or ellipse, Change it to a CP spline, segment it. The circle (or ellipse) changes back to it original form with new start point at the segmented location. Where ever you then attempt to segment simply changes the start location. If you change it then to an INT spline, it keeps that new start location (although you lose the workplane angle for the start/end of the Int spline). If you convert it to a CP spline, the start goes back to the original position.

The splines are driving me nuts :(
unique  
#24 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:53:50 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
Some strange behavior:

Draw a circle or ellipse, Change it to a CP spline, segment it. The circle (or ellipse) changes back to it original form with new start point at the segmented location. Where ever you then attempt to segment simply changes the start location. If you change it then to an INT spline, it keeps that new start location (although you lose the workplane angle for the start/end of the Int spline). If you convert it to a CP spline, the start goes back to the original position.

The splines are driving me nuts :(

Steve,

If you asked me I think that the development team are giving us the run around and wee bit of lip service ;) shame.....
Steve.M  
#25 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2009 3:16:42 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Steve,

If you asked me I think that the development team are giving us the run around and wee bit of lip service ;) shame.....

Paul,

Well,
I would of thought Tim could sort out the various problems, maybe just a case of a need to direct resources to new tools for the new version of shark to get arses on seats. I can understand that. Maybe I should complain more at the users who have put up with these bugs for so long? From the point of introducing a new user to this product,... no way in its current form.

In its present form I can certainly still use it for my home (hobby) models, and actually like using it, as I have no time limit or need for accuracy. But for work, I could not use this product.

- Steve
unique  
#26 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:36:09 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
Paul,

Well,
I would of thought Tim could sort out the various problems, maybe just a case of a need to direct resources to new tools for the new version of shark to get arses on seats. I can understand that. Maybe I should complain more at the users who have put up with these bugs for so long? From the point of introducing a new user to this product,... no way in its current form.

In its present form I can certainly still use it for my home (hobby) models, and actually like using it, as I have no time limit or need for accuracy. But for work, I could not use this product.

- Steve

Funnily enough when I first bought 2d/3d (around same time as you) I got the impression on this forum and general google searches that this software was aimed at the enthusiast/hobbyist??. I have managed to look beyond this as I do believe it has potential but im afraid for those of us wanting to incorporate it into a real life work it's just not developed enought for that....I wish it was tho !

The software is making progress albeit slowly.....there is light at the end of the tunnell:p. More hours developing is not going to help as Tim seems to be around too much already...I think he needs some more boffins in the think tank ?
jol  
#27 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:21:58 PM(UTC)
jol

>> Maybe I should complain more at the users who have put up with these bugs for so long?

If you wish - though I suspect you will just annoy people who have contributed to the program steadfastly over many years
Tim Olson  
#28 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 11:27:53 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>See the attach files please.
>>the profile is not similar the sections.

Hi Antoine

I've added a new option in the 85x code stream to disable the default vertex matching algorithm in ACIS for the skin with guide tool. By default, ACIS uses a logic that string surfaces from one section to another. By turning it off, your example creates a much, much better skinned solid.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Dem...os/skinGuideOptionv6.mov

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
unique  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:40:12 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>>See the attach files please.
>>the profile is not similar the sections.

Hi Antoine

I've added a new option in the 85x code stream to disable the default vertex matching algorithm in ACIS for the skin with guide tool. By default, ACIS uses a logic that string surfaces from one section to another. By turning it off, your example creates a much, much better skinned solid.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Dem...es/skinGuideOptionv6.mov

Tim

Tim - Link is broken?
Tim Olson  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:26:41 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Tim - Link is broken?

Try again, had a typo.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
la mouche  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:46:44 AM(UTC)
la mouche

un grand bravo Tim! :)

big big bravissimo

Antoine
Tim Olson  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:14:36 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Antoine,

Many thanks for submitting these examples, this should help all our users.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore