logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NickB  
#21 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:01:01 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
NX for the OS X is a classic case of vaporware. I talk to a rep a few months back and he sounded incredibly exasperated. It's in the works, has been for the last 3 or 4 years, and it might be a few more years yet, but could be next month. Nobody wants to commit, nobody seems to really know. Price will apparently be the same as the PC version around $3k I think he said.

I guess what I would like in an ideal world would be a 'Pro' version of SharkFX, same tools, but re-tooled to handle large files and assemblies better. A vastly improved layer manager would be a big step towards this. Import and export to ProE and SolidWorks if possible with histories would make the other designers, engineers and vendors that I work with very happy. Price would be about the same as FX $1800 - but without a rendering module. Rendering would be a $500 module that could be plugged in at a latter date.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
tmay  
#22 Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 4:42:52 PM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
NX for the OS X is a classic case of vaporware. I talk to a rep a few months back and he sounded incredibly exasperated. It's in the works, has been for the last 3 or 4 years, and it might be a few more years yet, but could be next month. Nobody wants to commit, nobody seems to really know. Price will apparently be the same as the PC version around $3k I think he said.

I guess what I would like in an ideal world would be a 'Pro' version of SharkFX, same tools, but re-tooled to handle large files and assemblies better. A vastly improved layer manager would be a big step towards this. Import and export to ProE and SolidWorks if possible with histories would make the other designers, engineers and vendors that I work with very happy. Price would be about the same as FX $1800 - but without a rendering module. Rendering would be a $500 module that could be plugged in at a latter date.

NX base might be $3k, but nobody buys these high end systems at base except to add more seats to a system. More like a $20k bundle. Might as well buy SolidEdge, more bang for the buck, but that isn't/won't be OS X.

Otherwise, l'm fully in agreement. As of today, both Pro/e and Solidworks have functionality to import and recreate features, but basic stuff; holes, extrudes, fillets and rounds and such. Kind of pointless accept as bulk parts in assemblies.

tom
ttrw  
#23 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 4:36:45 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Nobody wants to commit, nobody seems to really know. Price will apparently be the same as the PC version around $3k I think he said.

I wish it was $3k. I was quoted more around the $16k mark!

As for any CAD on OS X, it's the same old story...."Mac?? I've heard it's good at DTP"!!!!!!!

I think that most people don't like computers, full stop. ("Period" to you Americans ;) ) Then they spend years getting to grips with Windows (which gives them the fear- mostly through trojans, worms and viruses). Introducing another OS- no matter how easier it is or how much more powerful it is, and they don't want to know. Most CAD is pretty stable on Windows now- who then cares for the 'better machine', even if you tell them that you NEVER have to run registry cleaning facilities or anti-virus checkers (people think I'm lying when I say that there are ZERO viruses for OS X).
blowlamp  
#24 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 8:42:58 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

The Mac will never be as popular as the PC - It would have happened by now, considering how long it's been available. It's a niche product in comparison, purchased by those that like something different, but not necessarily better than the mainstream.
No virus that I am aware of is caused by Windows, only by people.

Cheers.
Martin.
unique  
#25 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 9:07:21 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: blowlamp Go to Quoted Post
The Mac will never be as popular as the PC - It would have happened by now, considering how long it's been available. It's a niche product in comparison, purchased by those that like something different, but not necessarily better than the mainstream.

Cheers.
Martin.

Yup agree with you. I have to like windows because it runs my business almost!, that said if I had the choice between Mac & say Linux it would be Linux..... Mac is stupidly overpriced in comparison with a PC and is far less powerful....it has a long way to go before it gets my vote :D:D
jlm  
#26 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 10:27:02 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
I have to like windows because it runs my business almost!

I have 14 macs for my small business & my family (not counting the obsolete ones).
None of the users would accept to switch back to a PC.

My PC experience : 2 years with a Toshiba laptop, in hell.

Maybe I'm not neutral enough to seriously benchmark :rolleyes:
tmay  
#27 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 10:43:50 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: jlm Go to Quoted Post
I have 14 macs for my small business & my family (not counting the obsolete ones).

Here's a benchmark...

http://web.me.com/studiodc/Stud...C/Apple_Macbook_Pro.html

Benefits of a laptop design arguably better than its peers in the Windows world, sans militarized laptops.

tom
unique  
#28 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 11:23:32 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: jlm Go to Quoted Post

:D just the reaction I expected......albeit from ttrw !

You cannot blame PC/Windows for a crappy Tosh book ? what was the problem anyway ?

Im in the engineering industry, I need processing power & top level graphics for our CAD/CAM/CFD...a mac would be fine for my qbooks accounts tho :rolleyes::rolleyes:
NickB  
#29 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 12:04:38 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Please, Please, Please.

No Mac / PC comparisons with the inevitable "Mac's suck. PC's are real machines for real men / work".

Different OS's for different folks, just like we all drive different cars and no one brand is "better" for all things.

I have XP and OS X on two machines. I prefer the Mac, but thats not to say that it is better. When I have t run software that is not available on the Mac I use the PC, if the software will run on the Mac I use that. Please, please, please no platform discussions that go no where.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ttrw  
#30 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 12:22:54 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Nick, it's a sad true fact that if you try to model anything with a Mac, your body will become flaccid and you will dry up then fade away......

'Real engineers' eat quiche! ;)
blowlamp  
#31 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 4:39:50 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

If Macs were better than PCs they would be more popular. The world must be full of masochists.

Cheers.
Martin.
jol  
#32 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 4:53:58 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Put it this way .. if you can stand using a PC .. great ! - use it .. cos it's cheap

Luckily there's a choice !
ttrw  
#33 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 5:24:29 PM(UTC)
ttrw

"General Motors" wrote:

If Microsoft Designed GM Cars ...

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 miles to the gallon." In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating (by Mr Welch himself):

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn, would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought"Car95" or "CarNT." But then you would have to buy more seats.

6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run on five per cent of the roads.

7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single "general car default" warning light.

8. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.

10. Occasionally, and for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grab hold of the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need them nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50% or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Everytime GM introduced a new model car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You'd press the "start" button to shut off the engine.

............!!!

I rest my case. LOL!

:D ;)
blowlamp  
#34 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 5:36:30 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

The choice of platforms is great but to imply PC users are doing it the hard way is daft. Which tasks can be easily done on a Mac, that can't be easily done on a PC - whatever the price?

It also seems we must assume GM don't use the PC Windows platform in any of its CAD/CAM, accounts or advertising departments, as it's unreliable.

Cheers.
Martin.
ttrw  
#35 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 6:19:43 PM(UTC)
ttrw

It's not a question of being unreliable, it's more a question of that there is no choice- except there is, but it is also really really daft that people choose not to take it.

I sit at work watching my colleagues struggle with their PC's. I guess you are right Martin, these guys are masochists? But then you can't really blame them as it is far easier, as always to take the soft option, and go for the mainstream- I guess that is human nature (up unto a point?).

Macs are faster to use than PC's. I too use both (OSX and XP), and I far prefer OS X to work with. It's a difficult thing to explain, without using OSX for a while (and we are talking OSX really- not the nice bit of industrial design). I couldn't really say this works like this and that works like that- because OSX's behaviour is so different in every aspect to Windows (yet also so similar- but then that too is hardly surprising, because Apple are sort of Microsoft's 'R&D department', if you get what I mean).

My advice is to get an MSI Wind or an HP Mini netbook, and load Mac OS X onto it. It works okay (although it'll never replace 'the real thing')- and is fun to do.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2.../12/gadget-lab-vide.html
tmay  
#36 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 7:40:47 PM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
:D just the reaction I expected......albeit from ttrw !

You cannot blame PC/Windows for a crappy Tosh book ? what was the problem anyway ?

Im in the engineering industry, I need processing power & top level graphics for our CAD/CAM/CFD...a mac would be fine for my qbooks accounts tho :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Mac Pro meets PLM needs nicely (as would the Mac Book Pro) and price compares favorably with a Dell Workstation dual quadcore Xeon. The only glitch is the lack of a range of OpenGL cards (don't think I need a Quadro 5600!). I would have to run Boot Camp/XP or Vista though, as Parallels isn't quite up to MCAD yet.

I'm holding out until the Mac Pro goes to a dual quadcore Nehalem, sometime next spring, then for all practical purposes, I'm PC free, though not free of Windows.

(I have a customer that runs a Mac Book Pro for PADS and other electronic design software under Parallels. The PADS people can't believe that this is even possible).

tom
zumer  
#37 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 9:53:55 PM(UTC)
zumer

Never having used a Mac, I'm blissfully ignorant of all the goodness I'm reportedly missing out on, although my wife brought one home the other day. She's struggled with PCs from day one, and I'm probably not helping because she calls on me for advice and I have to plead guilty to making my frustration (with her inability to be as intuitive as Bill Gates) obvious. I'll be interested to see if she copes with it better, because like Sgt. Schultz, I know nothing. I'm not in any of the higher echelon categories for CAD needs, being an occasional designer, occasional fabricator, occasional draftsperson, but I do know what to do with it. I've used TurboCAD as a generic CAD doall for probably ten years, and still do. Back to back, I prefer TurboCAD's interface to ViaCAD's. I draw and model from 2D primitives more than features, but even features are easier for me to find and orient from in TC. That's probably inexperience with VC, I've still got a long way to go, but I'm giving serious thought to Shark LT. The reasons why I use like to use VC: it appears to be more stable than TurboCAD for some tasks. It appears to leverage some of the ACIS features better than TC, ie blending and shelling, and if it can't do it, VC gives a coherent meaningful reason that often gives a clue as to how to go about getting it done via workaround. TC is obtuse if it can't do something, so I often transfer a .sat object to VC, blend or shell, then put it back into TC. ViaCAD is much better at combining solid and surface elements, replacing surfaces or producing parametric surfaces (that spline import feature rocks), and it's got some surface shape production methods that TurboCAD doesn't ie net, skin and cover surfaces. Birail works better, too. That being said, VC is as obtuse as TC with some messages like "curves not connected!".
Some of the nicer features of Shark attract me. Booleans on surfaces, not just solids. Advanced capping and lofting with guides. Until I've worked up inarguable (with my wife) justification for Shark, the Rhino import for TC costs $50, so VC is a good deal purely as a Rhino importer. Aside from that, TC and VC transfer seamlessly with .sat for solids, dxf, IGES or STEP for 2D.
I first heard about CU around version 2, so sampled it back then. I'm still not in the market at the CU/SharkFX price point, so I'm lucky that VC became available. FX now has the same sorts of constraints that've been in TC Pro for a while, so that's something that I've some familiarity with. I don't use them very often, and I have even less requirement for pure parametrics. When I do need parametrics, well, then there's Alibre, which is free for the "lite" version, but which can only save 10 entities in one file. That's about the most I need. Again, .sat is the transfer medium of choice.
So, with the OS that a lot of you don't like, I'm spoiled for choice. So Windows isn't elegant? Neither am I.

murray
zumer  
#38 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 10:12:36 PM(UTC)
zumer

BTW, that "post from General Motors" didn't come from General Motors, check Snopes. There's also a reputed "answering post from Microsoft" that's equally apocryphal.
ttrw  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 2:16:41 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Ah yes but that really isn't the point is it? (it's got you rattled though eh?!). Although the GM thingie is old, there is still an awful lot of truth in it.
blowlamp  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:14:09 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

I'd be interested to hear how running ViaCad on a Mac, differs from running ViaCad on a PC - in fact how any application differs. My experience of using a PC with both XP and Vista, is one of monotonous reliability. With a PC, there is the option of desktop themes as bright or dull as I want and many thousands of applications to choose from. I use CAD, CAM, DTP, CNC control programs, paint programs, surf the internet with 3 different browsers and do just about anything else that takes my fancy. What I don't do is mess about with parts of the system that I don't understand. I also don't want a firework display for being clever enough to print out a document, but understand some people do. Still not heard any decent explanation as why I should change platforms.

The GM letter is typical style over substance and we shouldn't forget that some of GMs products aren't without known faults either.

Cheers.
Martin.