logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 1:10:13 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Does Autodesk hold some patent on the "Esc" key functioning to put the cursor into select mode (by removing any current selection that might have made the cursor prepare for a new command...)?

I wish the Esc key to do what the AutoCAD default function does. I find myself frustrated that when i hit Esc and simply want to rope/lasso some geometry, i instead end up drawing or trimming or doing something that takes 1 or 2 steps to undo.
NickB  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 1:55:21 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The answer to your problem is that apparently the ASICS kernel has reserved use of the escape key for canceling operations. Pity it doesn't work, and the key cant be re-assigned.

What I have done is assigned my Q key to the Select tool (File / Shortcuts then Tools / Selection). With a multi-button mouse you can even program one of the buttons to the keystroke. Makes changing tools very fast, might even be faster than reaching for the escape key.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 2:14:18 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Thanks, Nick. I probably was going about it the wrong way. I was using the right-click contextual method but could never got the cursour out of tools and into select mode.

Probably this is for another forum area but i found VC would not open dwg files containing blocks. I had to reinstall my "old"/retired copy of TurboCAD 14 Deluxe, just to extract the 2-D blocks of interest. But, fortunately i deprecated TC14D for VC5/6 since VC5/6 gave me heart-warming surfacing and other 3D tools i tore out hair and scraped off dermis when failing miserably in TC. I realize after some time that TC14D has a few things (well, a number of things) VC doesn't, but what VC DOES have i would keep ANY day. If i had $700 to plunk on ONE piece of s/w, it still would be for VC or Shark, seeing Shark will deprecate VC... I just fantasize that Punch!/CSI will implement my marketing idea to shift VC 6/6/6 users over to Shark 5/5/5 (in another of my (lonnnng) posts...
posh.de  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 8:30:12 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
... i found VC would not open dwg files containing blocks...

blocks should not be any problem.

• which problem exactly does occur (error message)?
  • which [URL="http://www.posh.de/cms/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=19&Itemid=236"]dxf/dwg version[/URL]?
  • where did the files came from?
  • did you have checked w/ free [URL="http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=6703438&siteID=123112"]AD DWG TrueView[/URL]?
  • are you sure that TC didn't have simply skipped the problematic entities/structures?
  • can you provide a file affected?

Norbert
ZeroLengthCurve  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 11:34:25 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Jeezus H. Jehusefur. That (self-redacted) true-view is a shocker at 194 MB. I hope it will shine my shoes and floss my teeth (without breaking them).

If it is only a viewer and not a markup, then that is an egregious file-size (reinforces sloppy devs hogging disk space?) and if it is vendor-lock-in, it will be yet another reason i eschew AD products in my hobby. Holey MOLEY! I hope that thing is partly installer, and that it comes down to something like 50MB or less. Drives are cheap, but still they don't have the right to chomp on my byte space.

I last week or so did d/l AutoDesk Design Review, and it's virtually useless to me since it won't open .dgw. ..

Check that. Just checked control panel, and ADR is 137 MB, so, I'm ditching it in tradeoff vs 194 mb... seems I'll get back toward the 50 MB i was willing to lose..

Thanks for the advice on TrueView. I recover still more space if TV shows me more than what I am doing in TC14Deluxe, which for now is only to strip blocks out of .dwg, hehehe....
ZeroLengthCurve  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 11:47:10 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Sorry to reply to my own message...

Seems -- per the AD Viewers Comparison page -- i might only personally benefit from accessing the blocks. I might just keep TC14D lingering on my system a bit longer. I might also just keep ADR on the lappy and avoid TV, hehehe.

As for TC14D tick-box ticking, I experimented and have been getting all the blocks open. But, if i directly copy/paste from TC to VC, the result is VC6 brings in white background (in TC I have the model space set to black, and pen in white or non-black colors). So, i just save the blocks as .dwg AC 14 (not 2007) or as .dxf and import into VC6 in the units of the block.