logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:58:10 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi,

When i simplify a stitched solid into an ACIS solid, the part names change. This could be an annoyance for small parts quantities, but could be disastrous (I hope i am not overstating or dramatizing) when dealing with BOMS of hundreds or even thousands of parts.

It would be nice if when resolving/reducing a stitched solid down to a single, ACIS solid that the new solid retains the part name of either the highest part in the tree/branch, or that a popup appears so the user can be prompted to choose a desired new or existing part name that is associated with the new solid. Fortunately, one can undo, but it's not a solution.

Early in the design, one may create parts using the default names, and then begin to bill or otherwise become dependent upon the initially used BOMS. But i found that even if i modify the name of a stitched solid, simplify it, and check the Concept Manager, the part with the manually-modified name assumes a new series number, seemingly the next available or range number, greater than the last part created.

Maybe some parts in in flux, and are specifically used for construction. I use surfaces and lines and other curves explicitly for construction aids, and then intend to delete them as i don't foresee (yet?) a need to modify my solids' geometry via a control net since some of or most of my solids are simple sweeps and maybe some extrusions.

It might be nice to grant some "flexibility" to VC/Shark if a tick box would exist so that when we select parts that are to be "finished" and retain an associated BOM-level ID, the part ID is unchanged. Anything not checked is up for grabs by the app so that all other operations can be sped along.

Also, since many of the parts in the BOM may be on various layers, it would be nice if that information is selectable and exportable. It would facilitate billing, revisions, and other things, like, well, continuity...

Just some ideas.

http://forum.punchcad.com/showt...27&highlight=parts+names

Thanks!