logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:00:06 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
... do the right thing, 'fore i shout... (hehehehe)

I find that when i am mirroring about the Z axis a number of selected surfaces that run along the X axis, those items undesirably mirror onto themselves, rather than about the Z axis.

Clarification: i have running lengthwise along the X axis several surfaces on the right side of my model. Symmetrically, i CAN mirror them to the left, if i do one surface at a time. If i select several, VC flips/mirrors the surfaces onto their parents rather than opposite.

I made sure to turn on the snaps, and i select an endpoint that has a known Y=0 coordinate. It might be me, but i don't recall this occurrence in VC 2D/3D.
Steve.M  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:31:35 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Be cautious. attempting to flip/mirror from an axis is problematic in any application.

From your explained example, then a mirror from Z/Y(plane) should give expected results from any view.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:34:29 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
Be cautious. attempting to flip/mirror from an axis is problematic in any application.

From your explained example, then a mirror from Z/Y(plane) should give expected results from any view.

Actually, I am using Z/X....

I then select a point that is y=0 for the mirror start point/origin, and the sideshell then mirrors oppositely to the port side where i want it.
Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:07:40 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

I have not yet seen a problem with mirror, although it can be easy to get a result that is not expected if a mirror point is not actually making mirror of all selected from a single mirror, what I mean there is that if you have 4 objects selected and then the mirror is in-between the objects, then the result can be seen as unexpected.

Please post an example file, and where you are attempting the mirror(which plane/ origin point), it will then be easier for me to explain.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:24:23 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Well, i can NOT upload a file. It is only some 2.3 mb in size, and it JUST WON'T UPLOAD. I can upload jpg, but not vcp. What gives? Is some government agency blocking me via a man in the middle attack?

Sheesh....
ZeroLengthCurve  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2009 3:31:39 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Let's try again, but curves only... no surfaces and no solids...

OK, that worked.

So, here's the problem: I can mirror individual surfaces, but not multiples in one go, about the same selected axis. I am using Aerospace, the alternative.

For example, take from the aft (back, wider) area of the model, select 8 lines to be 7 feet of side shell of the hull. Color it if it helps. Then, select 7 or 8 or 9 more lines for the next forward strip of hull. Do this a third time.

Now, select the three surfaces (ensuring to not select any lines... we don't need nor want redundant lines.

Next, select the mirror tool.

Next, select the origin (to ensure our snaps don't cause problems if we incorrectly select a wrong point on even a good curve).

Watch the surface land on its source.

If you undo that, then select only ONE surface, it'll go mirror correctly (at least on my machine that is what is happening)...
File Attachment(s):
mirror mirror no solids.vcp (120kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:50:30 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi,

I still do not see a problem with the mirror tool. I did create some surfaces from the given lines, and they did mirror correctly in various directions/across various planes to origin.

[off topic]

May I ask as to what tool you are using to create the surfaces?

I dont like to take a thread off topic, but do wonder at the direction you are taking to make these surfaces. From some early attempts to create surfaces from your lines I was given various error pop_ups (depending on the tool I was using). The only tool that did not require first editing/adding to your construction was the "ruled surface" which when used on so many stations(cross sections)will give a very dense/heavy surface that will not be correct for continuity across those stations.

- Steve
ZeroLengthCurve  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2009 6:06:10 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Hi Steve,

I'm using the ruled surface tool I used to use the other surface tool but it seems that ruled uses less file space, IIRC. I think i got confused by the user manual description.

Some of the lines i create using the curves (output my Delftship Free, as i cannot afford Delftship Pro (>$300) nor the extensions (tank modeling, >$500, IIRC). DSP would provide automated fairing, and

"Instead of using stations, all hydrostatics calculations are panel-based. By integrating the volumes enclosed by the surface panels from the surface definition a higher degree of accuracy is obtained, especially if a heeling angle and trim is taken into account."

But, for now, i have some kinked/curled lines to deal with.

Back to mirroring. So, i'll live with mirroring one surface at a time, whereas one might expect that it should be possible to mirror multiple surfaces. I don't think i have the problem with solids. I need to try that again, as well as some other things.

Thanks for looking into it for me.

ZLC
Steve.M  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2009 1:51:35 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi ZLC,

Which product are you using (2d/3d.. pro...shark, on what OS), I will take another look if you are still having problems, I will even make a vid to show what I see.

I did see another (old) problem when playing around, that was after deleting some surfaces, then making "Undo" I got back the surface, but another surface appeared, it was not even a mirror or overlap,.. so I think I will need to show/report that anyway.

- Steve
ZeroLengthCurve  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2009 11:27:16 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

I'm using VCP, patch 838.

Thanks... been behind this weekend as i am upgrading my Mandriva 2009.0 to 2009.1 (and spent around 9 hours downloading some 2 GB worth of compressed files to enjoy) and spent a lot of time making sure the main things work (VirtualBox, Xine (so i can watch my legally-purchased DVDs on my Linux laptop...), my wireless card (which i'm using now...) and other things. Just guinea-pig-tested my older VirtualBox virtual machine of vista from a previous hard drive, so now i begin the long task of copying the ~20 GB vm from over to this disk.

I hope to back into VCP by midnite my time...
Steve.M  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2009 3:44:23 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi ZLC,

Hope you had fun upgrading and copying :D.

I followed your instructions and used your posted curves to create 3 ruled surfaces, then made mirror (vid attached). I still do not see a problem.

http://rapidshare.com/files/252541527/mirror.avi

- Steve
ZeroLengthCurve  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 11:02:31 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

For some lame reason, windows media player complains it is missing the codes. This should be interesting... I bet my Mandriva Linux rig will play your .avi just fine...
Steve.M  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:09:06 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
For some lame reason, windows media player complains it is missing the codes.

I currently use the Xvid codec for all the vids I have posted. I use that as it keeps the file size down without too much loss of detail.

- Steve