logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 5:27:06 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Here is something interesting, with a bit of a twist, literally and figuratively.

In the model, i have multiple curves (frames) spaced at 1-foot intervals. I have stations that are on the 1-foot intervals, but have additional stations (generated in Delftship) to denote the thickness and throw/direction of the transverse bulkhead plating.

Now go into a side view. Note that you have to realize that if the starboard or port stations/bulkheads p/s stations are off, you can't generate the full bulkhead unless you are intentionally doing only 1/2 of it.

But, by fluke/chance/serendipity, i found that selecting station and then the frame forward of a station and then two more frames forward of the station itself with the VCP Ruled Surface tool, i can generate a surface and as well as "ribs" (what i call them). Unfortunately, this does NOT work aft of the bulkhead.

What happens when i try to go AFT of the Station is that VC generates what looks like a correct ruled surface. But, sometimes panning/zooming may crawl due to kinked calculations (what i loosely call them) that drag on redraw actions. At the very bottom of the hull, near the centerline, in the keel, you can see a twist, which is (to me) a small area of the sweeping that jumps from aft to forward on the bulkhead plating. If done incorrectly in broader sweeps of the wrist, hugely-delaying surfacing kinks appear in my case.

If i had the Pro version of Delftship i would get "automated fairing", and supposedly would get far superior, smoother lines along which i presume i'd thus see vastly improved surfacing, whether ruled or skin.

Is it possible to get VC 2D/3D or VCP to faithfully redraw these stations/frames lines (singly or in batch) and not derange them? I already experience failure of Delftship Free (and heard negatively of pro) to correction reimport previously-exported DXF lines that were touched by external CAD apps. So, that's unfortunate for me, especially in that there is no real-time two-way conduit between VC and DS.

The tubes in the drawing are what i use for practicing punching holes into the bulkhead. I'll later apply that practice to creating athwartship/transverse tunnel thruster ports on starboard and port sides.

I hope the drawing works, as i don't have the *.data files that didn't make the transfer to my email account.
File Attachment(s):
zzzzz-no surfs-no sols.vcp (1,010kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
ZeroLengthCurve attached the following image(s):
zzzzz.jpg (35kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 5:33:14 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
The file WITH surfacing (8.188 mb) failed to load. Probably too close to the 9.54 mb limit?