logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zumer  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:28:49 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've got a question about this for you guys. I don't know the answer, but wouldn't those features remain for the history tree or the undo buffer? It seems to me that removing links would make it impossible to use a history to change the order of creation. Can Shark and VC Pro reorder? In my experience with TurboCAD, certain actions sever the part history and ask for confirmation. TC can't reorder. If it were just the undo buffer, I guess the deleted features should be dropped when you save the file?

murray
NickB  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:56:51 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Murray,
Shark will allow you to re-order operations in the part history, although the interface needs a lot of work and is kind of hit or miss, its also so slow that it is often faster to just delete and rebuild.

Regarding underlying geometry, I have learned to NEVER throw anything away, and put all those bits and pieces including trimmed surfaces onto other layers. When I start a new part I always create at least two sub layers, one for the solid part, and another for the underlying geometry. If the part becomes complex I may end up with several layers for the geometry. By working this way it is rare that I get to a point where I cant undo an operation, although it does have the down side of creating huge files. For example a project I finished in February ended up with 400mb files that would takes several minutes to open and save.

Tom,
At the moment I am tutoring someone in Shark, and just spent todays lesson on the need to work accurately as he had multiple lines on top of each other that were preventing operations from completing properly, and numerous very small miss alignments that prevented us from measuring an area. Very frustrating, but the sort of thing you learn to look for and avoid when modeling.
NickB attached the following image(s):
screenshot_01.png (40kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
posh.de  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:45:48 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
...but hey Sketchup is relatively cheap and bug free

SketchUp is [URL="http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewforum.php?f=15"]not bug free[/URL], as every other non-trivial software.

I'm also not shure, if comparing a polygon modeler (SU) with a much more complex/capable NURBS modeler (SFX/VCP) is appropriate... but am very sure, that Photshop is not really a replacement :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
$7500 for a basic seat of NX + $1700 service packs- that's a real bummer :(

plus probably some thousand bucks for every advanced cad exchange interface or render plugin etc.

Norbert
POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
ttrw  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:15:57 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I didn't say SU was bug free. I said relatively. But SU is free as well as being under 400 for the full blown pay version.

I take a lot of photographs, and it seems more sense to me to get Photoshop at this time rather than getting another CAD package- especially as I am getting next to no work in CAD drafting at the moment. VC 2D/3D is all I need at the moment, however the 2D side of Shark/ VC, being IMHO, too unreliable.

If CAD generally, was just a bit cheaper, then perhaps I wouldn't moan so much? :mad:

Sorry.
Steve.M  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:27:12 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Shark / ViaCad, is buggy, and often does not give the results that one would expect, BUT often that is because of sloppy operator error. For example having multiple lines or solids sitting on top of each other. Corners that are not trimmed exactly, lines that don't quite connect, or having snap to plane on then wondering why you cant connect lines in different planes or extrude into another plane.
Problems can arise from bad user input, but that does not hide the underlying bugs that have been reported many times with various simplified examples.

The tool is incredibly powerful, but that power comes at a price, and that price is that you have to pay attention to the small stuff if you want things to work as expected. The drafting assistant makes it way to easy to build sloppy geometry, and the copy key makes it to easy to copy items in place and then blame it on the tool instead of the user when things don't work.
If you believe that a user is in error from a posted example, then why not interact on that thread and show the user the error.

There are bugs, lots of bugs, and parts of the interface that could do with a major update, but try and find another tool with comparable power at a comparable price and you always come back to Shark. Even Shark's nearest competitor Cobalt is almost twice the price at $3000 and upgrading from previous versions is between $1300 and $1700, compare that to the $500 that Shark upgrades cost and it is an incredible bargain.

Not quite sure what you are attempting to push forward there.

Are you saying that because Shark is less expensive to purchase that the end user should expect to have buggy tools?, and then actually be happy about that?
ttrw  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:35:35 AM(UTC)
ttrw

I think Steve, that Nick is more reflecting on how little there is out there which has the same power but on a similar price vs feature ratio (especially after reflecting on the price of Siemens NX + service packs). But you are right, just because this software is cheaper, it doesn't mean to say that we have to accept more bugs, as that philosophy would be nonsensical.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:39:13 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Myself, I'm ok with shortcuts. It's single-letter shortcuts that stymie me. My brain can easily semantically recall multi-letter shortcuts that i can mentally map to a software feature. But, making shortcuts, running out of keys, and then having to boot out a less used single-letter shortcut with a replacment because i have new activities in an area kinda taxes my breathing rate.

BUT, at least for now i'm not using *too* many shortcuts. I guess i've been spoiled by acad, which has numerous multi-letter shortcuts. They must've obtained some sort of feature patent that all or most others are loathe to tangle up with...
olliecox  
#28 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2009 7:43:22 PM(UTC)
olliecox

I don't think acad can have a feature patent on multi-letter shortcuts. They were in use before acad started and are still used very well by VisualCADD and by GeneralCADD.

And I agree with you about how they make life so much better!
ttrw  
#29 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2009 2:49:44 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: olliecox Go to Quoted Post
I don't think acad can have a feature patent on multi-letter shortcuts. They were in use before acad started and are still used very well by VisualCADD and by GeneralCADD.

Not forgetting the brilliant $38 QCad! :cool: