logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:54:31 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I spent the past several months, almost a year, wasting time as my file sizes grew enormously. I was using "skin surface" to draw surfaces between frames in my ship hull model. The model represents a notional ship some 562 feet long. I did initially try "ruled surface", but my original models were sufficiently bad enough that in the sonar dome area i was getting terrible surfacing. So, i inadvertently learned that skin surface made a more acceptable surface.

As time went by, i kept going back to the Delftship application to refine the source model. I spent maybe 2 weeks pushing points, reviewing the hydrostatics outputs for constant, incremental improvements (I have the Delftship Free app, not the Pro app, which has automated fairing... and costs over $500, which i DO NOT have...).

Recently, i yet again pitched out my model and went crazy/wild further refining a few more points in the hull. Somewhere along the line it got better and i imported the .dxf into ViaCAD Pro. Now that i am using ruled surfaces, my files are much smaller, mainly because i started chafing like crazy to find out to manipulate the TYPE of surface being created. I started making simple surfaces or copying into a new file the stations/frames from my main drawing, and saving them and comparing file sizes. With skin surfacing, and not even a fraction of my model surfaced, the file was at 85MB and climbing. Now, with ruled surfaces roughtly the same amount of surfacing is taking up only some 16MB.

I also learned that turning off ALL the layers and saving cut down the closed files size of the previous file down to some 12-20 MB vs 60-80 MB. So, now i try to get into the habit of turning off ALL layers (leaving even just ONE object viewable means enduring the full save/closed file size), and then on reopening the file, turning on one layer at a time. It would, however, be nice to have a larger task list of current, recent, and related files.
jol  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 7:19:29 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
On deleting some surfaces, they are not deleted

: )

presumably therefor, memory is not relinquished

example :

- draw 2 concentric circles

- 'cover surface' both

- now 'subtract surface' one from the other

- and then delete the remaining surface

.. the surface is gone !

but look at one of your existing lines as viewed in 'Feature Explorer'

The surface is still there

Hence the overhead of connection is still there

I think other surface types suffer from this too

As design is iterative, you can see how small files become big files quickly

Anybody explain this bazaar behavior that I have tried to call Tim on 100 times ?

.. Fry ?
jol  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 7:34:40 AM(UTC)
jol

in fact - whenever you 'surface add' or 'surface remove' one surface from another and then delete the remainder .. the surface remains present in the feature tree and therefor is an unnecessary burdon on your model

Why ?

Sorry if I hijacked your thread ZLC .. got a bee in my jocks about this
Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 7:55:42 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: jol Go to Quoted Post
in fact - whenever you 'surface add' or 'surface remove' one surface from another and then delete the remainder .. the surface remains present in the feature tree and therefor is an unnecessary burdon on your model

Why ?
Links are kept for the deleted geometry, there is a need to manually removed the links to the surface for the surface(s) to be removed from the explorer.

- Steve

Edit

Bug or feature?
jol  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 7:59:45 AM(UTC)
jol

Steve - Have you read somewhere that this is a feature ?
jol  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 8:01:24 AM(UTC)
jol

If that is true, why is it not universal ?
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 8:03:49 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Steve - Have you read somewhere that this is a feature ?

No, I thought it a bug. Deleted surfaces/geometry should (IMHO) have all links removed. It is that reason (links being kept) that I believe causes issues where I get various deleted surfaces reappearing when not expected.

- Steve
jol  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 8:18:09 AM(UTC)
jol

OK - glad you agree

I'm sure this is at the heart of a lot of downstream issues !

Apart from adding unnecessary file weight, both directly and through long lineages of interdependent object histories, it effectively constrains objects. Have you ever tried to move an entity in a complex model .. and Shark/VC has thought about it for (quite) a while and then put it right back where it started ? .. for no apparent reason !

.. Well I think we now know why

I'd like to propose a shortlist of issues that simply must be addressed in the next release. We can argue over which ones ourselves. This would be one of them for me. Perspective setup would be another. It's poo ! A third would be surface match - which I know to be mostly under control. On top of these, there are some general problems with everyday surface tools that need looking into very seriously. Thoughts?
Steve.M  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 8:27:37 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

I'd like to propose a shortlist of issues that simply must be addressed in the next release..............Thoughts?

In the next release? Do you not mean fixing in updates/patches to the current release?

- Steve
jol  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 8:35:32 AM(UTC)
jol

yes, ideally (and rightly)

However, and I may be entirely wrong - but my thinking was that if models are built with a specific code base - and then you change how tools behave in a non-superficial fashion - that older models built from the same base would not regenerate properly .. but I might be talking poo !

further you could argue - not my problem

Either way, I have harked on about some of these issues for many many long years - we know exactly what they are (having worked hard to document them on behalf of the developers). I just dont think it's too much to ask at this stage to fix them : )
Steve.M  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 9:14:56 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

However, and I may be entirely wrong - but my thinking was that if models are built with a specific code base - and then you change how tools behave in a non-superficial fashion - that older models built from the same base would not regenerate properly .. but I might be talking poo !
A need to completely re-write the code for a tool would infer that the tool as never, or will ever, work correctly. Which would put forward bad development of the product.

Either way, I have harked on about some of these issues for many many long years
Which puts forward a fact that bugs are going from one version to the next without a fix.
One of the main problems with software vendors is the fact they are allowed to sell software "As is",... enough said on that for now :rolleyes::D .

- Steve
Steve.M  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 9:24:23 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

I'd like to propose a shortlist of issues that simply must be addressed .....

I will agree.

If you start a thread, in the first post just place the bugs you have found and feel a need for an urgent fix. You can make other posts with comments etc but leave the first post just with the bugs/issues (maybe even with links to the bug report threads? )
Others can then add to the thread and you can edit your first post adding other bugs/issues and place them in order as to what is thought.

What do you think?

- Steve
jol  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 10:52:54 AM(UTC)
jol

Agree - a focused voice is required at this point .. I've tried this before and apart from NickB usually, it falls flat
Steve.M  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 11:46:42 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Agree - a focused voice is required at this point .. I've tried this before and apart from NickB usually, it falls flat
I am with you on this, I also suspect others will agree.

I personally will not put up with buggy/problematic software, certainly when the software is CAD.

If you worry, then I will just kick off again, and it will be me that takes any brunt from such.
I really like this software, but its bugs are annoying and stops me from putting it forward to others.

- Steve
jol  
#15 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 2:04:43 PM(UTC)
jol

Like you, I too need to express my exasperation sometimes .. especially when I see long-standing bugs avoiding Tim's zapper.

However, I also want to try to do it constructively and acknowledge how quickly things are changing, particularly these last 2 years

I just wanted to say - whilst debating the issues we come across, we should do our best to keep the progress going

I do actually believe Tim gives it his all - but like others I wish he was cloned a few times over

I'm still serious about voicing to Tim which of these of these issues I feel are holding us back - I think this is healthy .. and I think if we can agree on what where we need to see more progress - Tim will likely respond
la mouche  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:15:18 AM(UTC)
la mouche

hello,

I am discouraged enough now, see my post.

http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=2381

When I work alone with SharkFX, I can cry .. nobody hear me, but...

When I teach this program to my students, immagine pandemonium in a class of 17 people with bugs ... rigolos, magical, incomprehensible.:eek::eek:

it's very very painful.:mad:

Antoine
jol  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:26:23 AM(UTC)
jol

Antoine - I feel your pain

I also taught it and it was very tough going - that was 7 or 8 years ago now - it's much better now, but I imagine still frustrating

Despite how far things have come since then - we really do HAVE TO STEP IT UP NOW and get things runner smoother !
ttrw  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:16:18 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post

I personally will not put up with buggy/problematic software, certainly when the software is CAD.

Especially when the initial outlay for CAD software costs so much money (even if, which I still believe it is, slightly better value than other CAD packages)! :mad:

My avatar is still showing SLT, but this is not true. I have decided for now, that buying Adobe Photoshop is a better bet for me at this time, and I'll for the meantime stick with VC 2D/3D. I'll see what Shark v6 brings, as I'm hoping this will be good, but for now, I can't even consider investing in Shark, at least until most if not all bugs, are eliminated.

Sorry Tim (and Ryan/ Nick).
NickB  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:24:24 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Shark / ViaCad, is buggy, and often does not give the results that one would expect, BUT often that is because of sloppy operator error. For example having multiple lines or solids sitting on top of each other. Corners that are not trimmed exactly, lines that don't quite connect, or having snap to plane on then wondering why you cant connect lines in different planes or extrude into another plane.

The tool is incredibly powerful, but that power comes at a price, and that price is that you have to pay attention to the small stuff if you want things to work as expected. The drafting assistant makes it way to easy to build sloppy geometry, and the copy key makes it to easy to copy items in place and then blame it on the tool instead of the user when things don't work.

There are bugs, lots of bugs, and parts of the interface that could do with a major update, but try and find another tool with comparable power at a comparable price and you always come back to Shark. Even Shark's nearest competitor Cobalt is almost twice the price at $3000 and upgrading from previous versions is between $1300 and $1700, compare that to the $500 that Shark upgrades cost and it is an incredible bargain.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ttrw  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:52:50 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Nick, I think you have hit the nail on the head here, and I also believe ZLC also did the same here; http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=2407

It's the complexity of Shark coupled with what I considered 'bugs'- although these were probably just something I too was doing 'wrong', that has challenged me with this software over the last few years. I took me a very short time to figure out Solidworks, and be particularly competent at it, but Shark has been a real struggle. I also very much feel for Antoine and Jol, because I have had personal experience of teaching and having to work with shit like Corel when my employers didn't want to pay the extra for Adobe, and standing in front of a bunch of keen students, who also happen to be good at their subject and watching you shit yourself because the software aint doing it, well, I imagine from experience that this can be quite intimidating.

I also saw those NX prices, and that was frightening, but hey Sketchup is relatively cheap and bug free, and reasonably easy to get good results within a short period of time (if you like architecture that is!), without spending months studying and remembering keystrokes (I hate keyboard shortcuts- I can never remember them :( )

Shark shouldn't be any different from Sketchup as regards to ease of use. All the interface needs to have is a little refinement.

$7500 for a basic seat of NX + $1700 service packs- that's a real bummer :(