logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:15:28 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I only discovered the View Ball in VC Pro this past weekend. I couldn't believe i'd missed assigning a shortcut to this item nor having checked out "view ball". Once i exposed it, i realized if this were in VC 2D/3D, i'd have likely NOT bought the space pilot 2nd hand last year for around $40 or $50. Of course the physical device is nice, but after hauling it around in my backpack and weakening the cable (from wrapping and uncoiling) near the heavy base, i thought i'd better leave it at home.

With tiny increments i can use the view ball to view nooks and crannies better than using my finicky mouse.
blowlamp  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:40:51 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

What is this? I can't find any mention of it in the manual. I'm intrigued now :).

Martin.
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:06:18 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
As I keep harpin' on, Space Mice in my really humble opinion are total c**p and trackball's are miles better (and one heck of a lot cheaper too)! Honestly! :D :cool:

I do miss that View Ball though..... time to go and find..... :rolleyes:
blowlamp  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:45:58 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Well, I'm still intrigued and I still can't find it :confused: Can someone point me in the right direction as to where to find it, please?

Thanks.
Martin.
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:00:18 AM(UTC)
ttrw

would you blokes mind putting in your sig what OS you use and if you use 2D/3D or 2D/3D Pro, Shark LT or FX etc etc. It just makes it easier to fault find :D

Tom :)
blowlamp  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:59:04 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Have you found it yet Tom, or are you just teasing me? :D

Martin.
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:57:31 AM(UTC)
ttrw

heh. Sorry Martin. Nope I haven't found it. Gotta tell Zero to lay off the mushrooms! :eek: ;)

Perhaps it's in Pro only? I thought it was only in LT and up?
tmay  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:35:41 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
As I keep harpin' on, Space Mice in my really humble opinion are total c**p and trackball's are miles better (and one heck of a lot cheaper too)! Honestly! :D :cool:

I do miss that View Ball though..... time to go and find..... :rolleyes:

I don't like the little ones (Space Navigator) all that much as there isn't a palm rest and there are only two buttons, but I use the Space Pilot with the left hand and a Logitech Trackman with the right and this works very well if you have a responsive graphics card. These devices will be killer with the direct manipulation functionality that Tim showed us for V6, but are better with additional buttons for modifying commands.

There are some apps that let your you use an iPhone as a numeric keypad (wireless connection) and there are probably some that are more generic. Either way, I would like to have the Shark menuing optionally on a connected iPhone/iPad as a UI device.

the other tom
ttrw  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:42:33 AM(UTC)
ttrw

But you must admit, the Space Pilot is stupid money. What I loathe about them is that essentially you have a series of stepped switches. The higher the switch, the faster the model rotates, yet with a trackball, rotation speed and velocity is limited only by the speed of how fast you can move your thumb.

Space mice, IMO, are just a CAD designer's gadget- nothing else. I think they are a total waste of money. I've got a wrist rest on my trackball- its called my upper thigh/ leg/ belly! LOL!!
tmay  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:25:32 AM(UTC)
tmay

But you must admit, the Space Pilot is stupid money. What I loathe about them is that essentially you have a series of stepped switches. The higher the switch, the faster the model rotates, yet with a trackball, rotation speed and velocity is limited only by the speed of how fast you can move your thumb.

Space mice, IMO, are just a CAD designer's gadget- nothing else. I think they are a total waste of money. I've got a wrist rest on my trackball- its called my upper thigh/ leg/ belly! LOL!!

In case someone isn't aware of what Tom and I are referring to, here's a link:

http://www.3dconnexion.com/spp/

As they always say in the fine print, your mileage may vary.

I agree that $400 for UI hardware for a $99 package doesn't make much sense, it can for a $5000 package. Either way, Shark/ViaCAD users are limited to the SpaceNavigator control.

the other tom
ttrw  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:32:44 AM(UTC)
ttrw

The company I used to work for, their sister company's CAD engineer had Solidworks Premium and a mouse. He also had Space Pilot which cost a few hundred dollars, but he didn't use it either, sharing exactly the same opinions as me.

I really don't think these things are worth the money.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:46:58 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

OMG SORRY! I forgot to say HOW to get to it. In the File menu (in the windows version, at least), to go Shortcuts. Then, at or near the very end of the category list of things you can assign shortcuts to, there is one called "Viewball".

(Intrigued, and having only ONE or two remaining keys i could assign, i assigned Viewball a letter and then saved and returned to the drawing view.)

Hit the key you assigned to activate Viewball. A smallish panel with a disc in the square palette will appear. There is a toggleable staircase, and if toggled, an arrow will appear. On the periphery of the circle but on the paletter are around 8 arrows, four being cardinal or outward pointing as on a compass. The other four are curved along the disc.

The up and down arrows tilt the VIEW plane (entire model space) so you can in increments you set nudge and tilt your model when the mouse it just to jumpy, and when the physical 3D devices are absent or don't work for you (maybe they're too heavy to carry, or damaged, or whatever).

The peripheral, curved arrows rotate the model rather than tilt. You can choose an axis/point in the model, or the entire model space (by it's center, i think). (The keyboard arrows still function to pan the model space up/down/left/right.).

On the palette you'll also find a stopwatch-like icon. If you enable that and then press one of the Viewball arrows, you can make your model rotate/orbit about its model space or the point you designated. This way, it makes for a KICK-ASS demo if you have a nice model to show off. It'll stop if you click in the model space.

There are a few more tricks there, which you can determine by toggleing between the center-button stair case and the center-button curved arrow, the peripheral arrows and the top-area icons of the palette.

Intriguingly, i found NOTHING cross-referenced in the user manual for VC Pro 5 or 6. I at first surmised it was a recent addition via patch, but searching the forum led to threads dating back to 2007. Hehehe...
ttrw  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:14:08 PM(UTC)
ttrw

:eek:

Now watch Tim announce that this was an error and the code should have been removed when VC was at concepts unlimited version 4!!!! :D:D

As my kids like to say (after, of course watching Dr Who); "Delete, delete"! :(
ttrw  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:19:01 PM(UTC)
ttrw

It doesn't appear to be in 2D/3D :(:(:(
blowlamp  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:31:30 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

It doesn't appear to be in 2D/3D :(:(

No, but it is in VC Pro - which it what I've got! :p:D

Thanks for the clarification on that, ZLC. I'll have a little play when I get a mo'.

Martin.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:36:05 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Why, you're very welcome. I'm glad the code's there. I actually have the SpaceNavigator (earlier i think i misstated, possibly having said Space Ball), and while it's nice, it's HEAVY to carry around in my laptop backpack. Since i tore up the should straps on the backpack through running after buses and trains, i obtained a carry/shoulder bag and it has 1/2 to 1/3 the volume my backpack (a Targus backpack that could entirely contain my current bag, which is about 18 to 20 lbs on an average day).

Lacking that space, SpaceNavigator is on the floor betwen a wall and unread magazines, in it's hard plastic container (which protected it in my backpack, but i could not find a way to forever protect the wire from coiling/uncoiling damage). I haven't used it in maybe 9 or 10 months, after all the struggling i went through to get that thing to work in Linux...

Now, ViewBall is my favorite view manipulation widget.
ttrw  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:52:11 PM(UTC)
ttrw

To be honest, like I've mentioned in another thread, my logitech trackman is fabulous for precisely the same reason. When I was testing out LT, I never had to use the Viewball widget, because my TrackMan does the job better :D

I just wish someone would do a Bluetooth version (crazy- but there isn't one!)
ZeroLengthCurve  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:01:29 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

If my SpaceNavigator were lighter and UBS-wireless i would still use it. I already ruined a mouse due to excessive wear and tear on the wire-mouse junction. I ruined my laptop's original power supply that way, too. Now, i'm thinking i need to spend $38 more on a 3rd supply that i keep in my laptop, and keep one on my desk. Ditto for the mouse.

If 3DConnexion's latest laptop-friendly 3D mouse has Linux drivers i might go back to 3DC, probably because it feels nice to feel like a pilot and the reduced need to take the 2D mouse away from what it is doing. But, if Tim and crew add all sorts of killer features to the ViewBall, then the hard/software makers might scream if every other CAD maker devalued the hardware. But, that means the hardware makers have to rethink their business model, i suppose.

Then again, the SpaceNavigator is nice mainly *because* it is heavy and the 3D puck/moving parts grip and feel tactile and good. The model they made for laptop people is smaller and seems less attractive to me.

One alternate way to enhance the 3D view in ViaCAD might be to take a page from Open Source. In KDE4/Plasma/Compiz/Beryl, we can push the mouse into a corner or to the edge (user-assignable) and the desktop turns into a cube, a sphere or a cylinder (user pref). Clicking and dragging the right mouse button on the sphere, we can rotate/orbit the pentagonal/square/etc volume of the desktop. On clicking the the middle button, the polygon flattens. Alternatively, the pressing of or releasing of other combinations will do that. But this might be useful in a CAD model space to pan/orbit a model.
tmay  
#19 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2009 1:18:49 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
If my SpaceNavigator were lighter and UBS-wireless i would still use it. I already ruined a mouse due to excessive wear and tear on the wire-mouse junction. I ruined my laptop's original power supply that way, too. Now, i'm thinking i need to spend $38 more on a 3rd supply that i keep in my laptop, and keep one on my desk. Ditto for the mouse.

If 3DConnexion's latest laptop-friendly 3D mouse has Linux drivers i might go back to 3DC, probably because it feels nice to feel like a pilot and the reduced need to take the 2D mouse away from what it is doing. But, if Tim and crew add all sorts of killer features to the ViewBall, then the hard/software makers might scream if every other CAD maker devalued the hardware. But, that means the hardware makers have to rethink their business model, i suppose.

Then again, the SpaceNavigator is nice mainly *because* it is heavy and the 3D puck/moving parts grip and feel tactile and good. The model they made for laptop people is smaller and seems less attractive to me.

One alternate way to enhance the 3D view in ViaCAD might be to take a page from Open Source. In KDE4/Plasma/Compiz/Beryl, we can push the mouse into a corner or to the edge (user-assignable) and the desktop turns into a cube, a sphere or a cylinder (user pref). Clicking and dragging the right mouse button on the sphere, we can rotate/orbit the pentagonal/square/etc volume of the desktop. On clicking the the middle button, the polygon flattens. Alternatively, the pressing of or releasing of other combinations will do that. But this might be useful in a CAD model space to pan/orbit a model.

Since you have been a user, I would ask what you think of two handed operation, ie, control of the view with the space navigator and simultaneous picks with the mouse/trackball. I also question whether adding more bells and whistles to the viewball obviates the advantages of a hardware device. I believe that it doesn't.

Somewhere lost in this argument about 3D controls is whether there is benefit to a two handed UI.

I'm sold on the Space Pilot, and consider it worth every penny of the $400 I paid for it, as it is natural and productive to use two hands. There is a long list of applications that it supports. I consider that the additional buttons and modifier keys provide substantial advantages over the simple Space Navigator.

You would ask for a wireless version of the Space Navigator, and I would ask for a Space Pilot with a numeric keypad, because I generally don't have need of text during the design process and keyboards just get in the way. I have a very compact Apple wireless keyboard that I can drag over when I need it, and while I haven't tried it, there are apps to utilize an ipod touch or iphone as a numeric keypad.

Wireless gives a lot of flexibility even to desktop machines, and who isn't annoyed by cables?

the other tom
NickB  
#20 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2009 1:34:19 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There are lots of [URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=numeric+keypad"]low cost USB numeric keypads[/URL] available that will give you the functionality that you are looking for.

I have used a $13 generic numeric keypad attached to my MacBook. Much easier for entering numbers than using the MacBooks keyboard.

On a seperate note, has anybody got any experience with using a tablet and stylus, possibly combined with the bottom of the range Space Navigator, as I am looking for alternatives to a mouse that will have more natural ergonomics.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc