logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:35:41 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Does anyone know of a way to import or read a .prn file into a CAD app? I read on the Internet that the .prn file was one of the worst ms file types to ever be created.

We have a file that is .prn of a drawing previously made in TRIBON-like app that is no longer available (not legally and we're only looking at legals means/methods, hehehe) and it prints successfully from a 3rd party tool and the drawing looks really good and outputs to a ps printer/plotter ONLY. I thought i'd dig into ACAD and VCP and find a .prn import option. Of course, not to be found. But, do any of you know of tools that will manipulate the drawing from .prn to something a CAD app can import?

It might help if the tool can convert it to .txt. Since i just re-realized that VCP can import .txt, i am hoping the converter will make the .prn into .txt. Then, i'll try it. It is highly likely to fail tho, since the printed .prn file has 3d views mixed with title blocs, zones, numerous callouts, and so on. Is this worth pursuing?

Thanks!
NickB  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:49:13 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If the drawing prints to PostScript, can you save to PostScript, then open in Adobe illustrator or Canvas and export as DXF / DWG ?
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 2:06:54 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

I'll see if that is possible. So far, though, from the interface of the app our IT guy found, the app seems to be autopiloting... it looks for ps-type printers, list them, and lets you choose one. Virtually NO OTHER options exist, and it didn't have any save-as options IIRC, when i looked yesterday. I'll look again.

Thanks, tho!
ZeroLengthCurve  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 4:35:56 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

I'll post to my own reply since it's been up for several hours and i don't want to revision-historian edit it.

Well, the product is prnprint, and it won't print to pdf, and it only prints to printers windows knows about, such as physically- or network-attached printers; ms xps document writer; ms office document image writer.

I tried changing the .prn extension of a legacy drawing file to .ps and .pdf and to .dwg to see what would happen. Acrobat and AutoCAD didn't accept them as valid files.

I'm starting to think it's a pointless exercise trying to go in the reverse, and that it's likely that the image printed to printer is a processed flat shot of the rendered screen view. So, without the original it seems the prnprint output to paper would likely need to be scanned, attached/imported to a CAD app, traced, and adjusted to scale, then extruded where necessary and then further manipulated in 2D/3D until the attached scan is no longer needed. Hopefully, we won't need to do this, as it would be very time consuming (though having traced scans might save time if any tracing is faithful or within tolerances and still manufacturable.
NickB  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 4:52:49 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Some printer drivers let you save to file rather than sending the data direct to the printer. Is this possible ?
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ZeroLengthCurve  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 6:15:51 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

I believe so. However, in our case, we received from a party on the same project a file that is assumed to be part of an archive of a massive amount of drawings that for some reason archived to just .prn rather than additionallly to their native or a compatible formate. If they had thought to save as .dwg (well, then again, this supposedly happened years ago, which might mean even if they chose to and were able to dump to .dwg, there might have been lost properties in some of the 3D files... i assume), we would have an easier time. At this point, i can't/won't spend any more company time on chasing the problem. The engineer with the drawing can read the details (with a magnifying glass, since our old plotter is not ps capable) on 11x17...
blowlamp  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2009 2:45:21 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

ZLC.
I've got Canvas 11, and it looks like one of its import options is .prn. If you want to upload a file I'll check it out for you and send you back a .dxf or something.

Cheers.
Martin.