logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:40:18 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Actually, it's about attaching a NURB Curve to a NURB Surface, but my mind first saw a Spoonerism there in about 4 seconds, and i almost couldn't write down (due to laughing) what i was visualizing... Anyway, would anyone here find this useful in CAD programs?

http://newavesys.com/news.htm

"ProSurf 3 is a full capability trimmed NURB surface modeling package. It even includes capabilities not found in any program at any price. For example, imagine being able to attach a NURB curve to a NURB surface in one step, marking it as a trimming curve, and then dynamically dragging the curve and watching the trimmed surface update in front of your eyes! You can also grab any point on the underlying NURB surface and edit its shape. No un-trim and re-trim is necessary. Add rendering, extrusions, skinning, shelling, reverse engineering, 3D bonded, editable solids and you will see the direction we are heading. All of this on top of our unique use of edit points ON the NURB curves and surfaces and all of our detailed shaping and fairing tools! "

I wonder whether the ACIS/Spatial kernel can do that, or if it is reserved for specific clients or classes of CAD ware. In the meantime, for generic presentation purposes (not hydros), i imagine that cutting or view planes might suffice. Any comments or visualizations of how VCP could exploit such a feature?
zumer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:18:07 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Implementations of ACIS usually create surfaces associative to the generating curves, and booleans for trimming, which breaks the associativity to the generators. You'd usually be deriving the trim curve from the entity that you're using for the boolean interaction, which can have its own associative generating curves, rather than drawing the trim curve directly as in the Prosurf functionality.
Shark's surface extend tool doesn't break the associativity between generating curves and surface, but trimming the surface does. The effective difference between the two methodologies is that trimming curves can be higher order than isoparms or generators.

I'm sampling bonzai3d at the moment because it's got deformations that mimic Prosurf's. Prosurf's capacity for deformation of solids has only been matched recently. Its interface is showing its age, though.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:26:01 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Now, if Punch! partnered with newavesys, there could be hydro- AND aerodynamics-tuned CAD. However, the user might pay a much higer price unless the digital modeling could be marketed successfully toward sailing and aero model enthusiasts.

But, as to the kernel, could a surface drawn and used (instead of a cutting plane being used) be trimmed by the boundaries of the other shape (say a cube, sphere or "extrapolatable-but-not-to-crazily-shaped" surface/solid, and then be made usable? I'm thinking the resultant trimmed surface might be more faithful/accurate in tangency than a line projected. But, i could be wrong.
zumer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:11:03 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post

But, as to the kernel, could a surface drawn and used (instead of a cutting plane being used) be trimmed by the boundaries of the other shape (say a cube, sphere or "extrapolatable-but-not-to-crazily-shaped" surface/solid, and then be made usable? I'm thinking the resultant trimmed surface might be more faithful/accurate in tangency than a line projected. But, i could be wrong.

Sure. Somewhere in the various documentation for Punch!, Tim's done a tutorial on importing .spl text files that define parametric surfaces. That's what got me into PunchCAD. I was impressed that the surface was produced so easily as directed, and that I could use it split a solid, trimming the solid with that shape. I've just double-checked myself, and found that a solid that's been stitched from surfaces built from curves and then had a boolean performed on it is still associative to the curves. I expect that's conditional, but it's still impressive.