logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:07:12 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I am running Shark V 8 bld 996 and it is not importing a 59 MB dxf mesh file that VCP 7 handily opens.

I've noticed this over the past few weeks, and I've tried things like shutting down and restarting Shark. I've tried even opening smaller exports of the file and other files. No joy. One thing I think that DID work was opening the file in VCP 7, then saving it as a VCP file, then opening THAT file in Shark. (But, if it were the case that Punch replaced all prior versions and crippled other instances, then I would not be able to use the file. Fortunately, Shark and VCP are different products.)

RAM consumption balloons to 327 MB. Closing the file doesn't release all the RAM.

Also, what I notice is that the first layer will import, but no meshes and none of the multiple dozens of layers that should import associated with the meshes. The import fail occurs within about 20 seconds.

I can import the 8.7 MB DXF curves version of the file, though. With the 8mb curves opened, RAM goes up to 333 MB.

In VCP 7 the import takes up to a minute, but taking longer than 20 seconds usually is a good sign that it is at least doing something. RAM consumption is 305.8 MB. Closing the file reduces RAM consumption to 86MB.

Importing the same DXF polylines file consumes or increases RAM to 86.4 MB. The import is in seconds. Closing the file reduces RAM to 80.5 MB, unreleased.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:15:38 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

A possible "stressor" was that I had running 2 instances of Freeship Plus, each with a file of the model at Highest Quality settings. Each consumed around 163MB, but win 7 has some 4GB of RAM. I shut down each of those instances and then shut down VCP, and restarted Shark. Still, only the initial layer name appears, but no objects.

It might be possible that turning down the quality will let the file import, but i feel that if VCP can do it (and has been or years), then this update of Shark should. Since the mesh quality directly impacts the shape and curvature of the mesh being imported, I'm reluctant to decrease the quality setting (plus, it LOOKS really really good...).

Restarting windows should not be an option since VCP doesn't require a restart, and because I have other apps open.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:15:01 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

I am posting this here because I am experated trying to find what I thought was another related post of mine, about SLT v 8.

I am unable to import into SLT v8 (1003) my .stl and .igs files. I previously had other ideas about why this problem existed. But, now I am wondering whether it may be Visual Basic libraries. Various apps (not just CAD) required me to install VB, some from 2008, some from 2009. I am hesitant to wipe windows and do a reinstall of everything because the fine-tuning and reapplication of licenses and re-patching would take days. Also, i simply do not have the room on my machines to install another VirtualBox machine.

At any rate, it probably does not matter for now since I currently have no real need to use those two formats -- for now.

I may resume using SLT v8 1003 instead of VCP 8 (967) since I now figured out how to per-session stop the wonky zooming magnetic thing (prefs, auto resolve, allowed)
ZeroLengthCurve  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:47:25 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Wrong, wrong, wrong.... Something in Navigator. It was in Object Center, but when I switched to Model Point, the problem persisted. I changed Model Point to 0,0,0, and the wonkiness stopped. Went back to Object Center, and the wonkiness resumed, apparently because the cursor's center was way different than the object's center. Changed IT, too, to 0,0,0, and the wonkiness stopped. I do not recall this in VCP 7, so assumed it was a SLT problem, and did not think to comparre the Navigator settings in both. Gods, I hope this is a non-recurring thing for me....

X-posted from:

http://forum.punchcad.com/showt...ad.php?p=22372#post22372