logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
damiane  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2008 12:56:54 PM(UTC)
damiane

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am getting to the stage where the renderings done in Shark are ok for general presentation but more of my clients wish to use images to sell to large retailers and seeing that there does not seem to be any timetable for including high level rendering in Shark I need to purchase another renderer.

Has anyone got any suggestions. I really don't want to spend hours learning a new program.

I have a Mac Book Pro laptop which is my faster mac which could be set for rendering while I model up on my desktop.

Maxwell render looks interesting but complex while Buckspeed looks easy but limited in terms of material and also there seems to be a problem with adding materials.

Some advice would be very welcome.
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2008 2:53:06 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I don't know how good rendering quality is like in Blender, but you could certainly give that a try- considering that Blender is free.

Failing that, I can wholeheartedly recommend Cheetah3D- especially as C3D can import obj files, that Shark exports.
Tem  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2008 3:45:14 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Cinema 4D with the Advanced Render Module can create fairly realistic images, but it is not cheap. Also, there is a learning curve, so expect to commit time to educte yourself. Hypershot looks like a strong option too, just not as feature rich as Cinema 4D. Can you be more specific about your clients needs?
Tem
damiane  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 1:21:16 AM(UTC)
damiane

Well it's more my needs than anything else. I am starting to get frustrated with the quality of the render in Shark and also with the seeming placing of a very important part of the program into second place behind other features. After all CU/shark was developed as a concept generating program and what is important about concepts?, the renderings.

I am finding that many of my competitors are using higher end renderers and I am concerned not to be left behind. One of my main clients loves my work and has three of my products in production but to sell my ideas to big retailers they are passing my CAD data to another consultancy to render up which is not a good position to be in.
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 3:47:37 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Damiane, I'm a little confused by what you mean, because I thought that Shark's rendering wasn't that bad at all. Rendering is a bit of a fine art (personally I also think that rendering is overrated- valuing the quality of the presentation over the quality of model design- but that is just my opinion).

Judging by what I have read, and when I've tried to do my own terrible rendering (see Solidworks rendering below- notice crap shadow placement!!!), that you really need to know which controls do what, and how they do what they do- all very confusing.

Personally I'd buy a copy of Cheetah3D (79) and learn how to render by posting the results on the C3D forum, and get some feedback from Luke or Frank- the 'C3D Render Masters' for now, and then bring your experience back here to the Shark forum to share with us- see how the two compare! :)

Here's a good one from Luke;

http://www.cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=3095

http://www.cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=2864
ttrw attached the following image(s):
Pramble A3 render Z.png (352kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
erich_k4  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 3:49:44 AM(UTC)
erich_k4

Maybe Kerkythea [URL="http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/index.php"]http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/index.php[/URL] from the website:
Quote:
Kerkythea is a standalone renderer, using physically accurate materials and lights, aiming for the best quality rendering in the most efficient timeframe. The target of Kerkythea is to simplify the task of quality rendering by providing the necessary tools to automate scene setup, such as staging using the GL real-time viewer, material editor, general/render settings editors, etc., under a common interface.

or Carrara [URL="http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/carrara/-/?&_m=d"]http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/carrara/-/?&_m=d[/URL]

Erich
posh.de  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 9:02:38 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
damiane wrote:
Has anyone got any suggestions. I really don't want to spend hours learning a new program.

surely not the best results achievable compared w/ C4D or 3DS but relatively easy to learn (no modeling) is [URL="http://www.abvent.com/"]Art•lantis[/URL].

Blender has a steep learning curve, if time is money probably not the best choice...

Norbert
damiane  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 2:47:54 PM(UTC)
damiane

The trouble is that often images are now used for packaging.

This is a product I have just designed for a client. One image is a photo and the other two are images rendered by another consultancy because HDMI just gives that reality which Shark cannot match. Often the rendering can look more hyper real than the actual product.

It's about sales.
damiane attached the following image(s):
Index (in holder).jpg (63kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Index - Shot 1 FINAL.jpg (37kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Index - Shot 2 FINAL.jpg (45kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
tmay  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 3:19:11 PM(UTC)
tmay

damiane wrote:
The trouble is that often images are now used for packaging.

This is a product I have just designed for a client. One image is a photo and the other two are images rendered by another consultancy because HDMI just gives that reality which Shark cannot match. Often the rendering can look more hyper real than the actual product.

It's about sales.

Looking at your files, I can't help but think that the plastic dividers would gain some added reality with caustic lighting characteristic ( light diffusing into the surface). Maxwell Render is very strong in this area, and the materials library is mostly much user generated ( around 2500 materials I think), but it may be a little more than what you are looking for.

At any rate, I've used Maxwell infrequently mainly due to its heavy computational requirements (I have a total of 4 computing nodes available with any number or cores, but I run on a Pentium IV) which I expect to remedy with the purchase next year of a Nehalem Gainestown (dual processor/quad core) Mac Pro configuration.

tom
jol  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 3:44:10 PM(UTC)
jol

I'm with Tom here

Either make do with Shark and push Tim to include more features .. which I believe he's promised

OR

Get into Maxwell - cos it's ace !
ttrw  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 3:56:44 PM(UTC)
ttrw

jol wrote:

Get into Maxwell - cos it's ace !

Quote:
Maxwell Render™ connects via plugins to the major 3D design and CAD applications like 3ds Max™, Viz™, Maya™, LightWave™, Rhinoceros™, SolidWorks™, Archicad™, CINEMA 4D™, form·Z™, and SketchUp™.

....and Shark FX!?

Realtime adjustments??? Baby!- where you been for the last few years?!?

As an ex-photographer, even I'm convinced after looking at the web pix! :D

Tim, can we get this Maxwell into Shark FX? :D :cool:
ttrw  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 4:15:37 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Just found these mathematical models in the Maxwell gallery.

My ex-Uni buddy has been harpin' on about Maxwell. We never really covered it on the engineering side -as I found the more crap my artwork was, the higher the grade I seemed to get!- engineers eh? tut! :rolleyes: :mad: ;)
jol  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 4:29:37 PM(UTC)
jol

You do need a dual core at least for Maxwell .. but the results are uncannily real

You also need to invest time. The forums however are very very good

Fry is another one worth looking at as it branched from the Maxwell project, I believe

Tim's now got a good OBJ export path to Maxwell. However, a Maxwell plug-in would be preferable .. though mostly for marketing advantage
ttrw  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 4:45:06 PM(UTC)
ttrw

jol wrote:

Tim's now got a good OBJ export path to Maxwell. However, a Maxwell plug-in would be preferable .. though mostly for marketing advantage

Yes, quite right. :)
damiane  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:09:39 AM(UTC)
damiane

I must say I am sorely tempted by Maxwell though it does look rather daunting. If we had it as a plug in at least this forum would be useful too.

Jol I gather that you use it. How long did you take to get up to speed on it?
jol  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:30:37 AM(UTC)
jol

it's not click and go by any means .. that is why I'm still a fan of Shark's rendering - effort:return ratio is excellent

if you want to get good at Maxwell - you need to spend quite some time learning .. the forum is very good. Like any sophisticated tool, you'll need to build up experience over months, not hours

if you expect to just click like in Shark, better forget about it
posh.de  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:44:40 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
jol wrote:
if you expect to just click like in Shark, ...

then check [URL="http://www.abvent.com/"]Artlantis Render[/URL]

Norbert
damiane  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:01:32 AM(UTC)
damiane

I don't mind spending some time learning how to use a program. I have spent enough time learning how to use CU/Shark.

I agree that Shark is pretty good for rendering.

However it would be good to have something better. I was put off Hypershot because the OBJ file always imported as one solid rather than different parts.

Anyone got round this as this may be the way to go.
tmay  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:45:03 AM(UTC)
tmay

Modo looks good, but it's almost the same price as Maxwell, although it includes a modeler and animations features. I can't speak for the quality personally, but I do recall that the developer, Luxology, licensed some Renderman technology from Pixar.

tom
jol  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:40:34 PM(UTC)
jol

Shark FX may still be a good option - Tim has said on this forum that he's licensed a whole bunch of new rendering stuff for inclusion in a future version !