logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andusan  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2008 6:31:20 AM(UTC)
Andusan

Hi all,

just a question:

i really am someone that works with a sort of Item-List(modo)
or an outliner(maya) to select/remove/inspect objects and parts, rename them there etc.
keep an overview of all the content in the workspace.

so i thought in Viacad this would be the Concept Explorer.
but somehow this works a bit annoying for me because only the objects and parts (already) selected are showing themselves in the concept explorer.
and are avalable for "object info" f.e.

So selecting by the use of the Concept Explorer seems not possible..
only if an object is already selected, one can get to the parts of that object.
and inspect the hierarchy
for me this is not really a handy way to work.

do i misunderstand the use of the Concept Explorer entirely?
is there an advantage in this method that i cant see yet(i am open for everything;-)?

can someone explane this to me?

and if not ...
Tim ..maybe it is an option to show all objects in the workscene
also in the Concept Explorer (selected and not selected)
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:24:48 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Hi,

I am using VC 2D/3D 5.0 (and am looking heartily to U/G to V6.0-- can't WAIT till it hits the download spot...!) I too am looking to see more of a properties palette of some kind. It would be nice if when I select an object or some geometry that i can see all the relevant properties in one place.

It would be nice if stretching/scaling, resizing, changing thickness, color, and more are on a NON-MODAL, but compact, multi-tabbed palette so that the user doesn't have to go back and forth between selection, closing the properties/tools palette and then going back into it. Basically, WYSIWYG instantly when any property is changed.

Actually, much of Verify, and Window/Properties could be merged to save steps. But, I am liking VC 2D/2D more and more.
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:57:35 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
ZeroLengthCurve wrote:

It would be nice if stretching/scaling, resizing, changing thickness, color, and more are on a NON-MODAL, but compact, multi-tabbed palette so that the user doesn't have to go back and forth between selection, closing the properties/tools palette and then going back into it. Basically, WYSIWYG instantly when any property is changed.

In other words, or in layman's terms you'd just like the whole program to be re-written from the ground up again? hehe- yeah we all want to be able to do that! LOL!

Have you tried Cheetah 3D? C3D behaves more like this way you describe. :D
lebeau  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 6:41:13 PM(UTC)
lebeau

It would be nice to add an additional tab that lists all the parts.

You could select, show hide, etc. from that tab.
tmay  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 7:34:11 PM(UTC)
tmay

lebeau wrote:
It would be nice to add an additional tab that lists all the parts.

You could select, show hide, etc. from that tab.

I would rather have a separate assembly mode, maybe a selection button adjacent to the 2d/3D buttons to initiate it. This mode should open a new "assembly" window with an "assembly" menu, though you could double click on a part to open in its own window for editing.

I'll wait for that rather than load up Concepts Explorer with yet more stuff.

tom
ZeroLengthCurve  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 7:54:49 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

ttrw wrote:
In other words, or in layman's terms you'd just like the whole program to be re-written from the ground up again? hehe- yeah we all want to be able to do that! LOL!

Have you tried Cheetah 3D? C3D behaves more like this way you describe. :D

I think i'll keep exploring VC 2D/3D. I'm using PCLinuxOS, but thru VirtualBox, I'm running vista in all its gory glory. I'm doing it on a Gateway P-6301, with 2 GB of RAM, giving vista 1.5 GB of RAM as Linux is not all that greedy or doesn't complain when I shortchange it. But, if my laptop had better graphics (ATI or NVidia vice the Intel built-in chip) I might see faster renders when I simultaneously run VC23D with other graphics-intensive apps.

As for the palette, I have an ancient word processing program that got me hooked on WYSIWYG editing (and, it's not winword or word...). So, I guess I'm wanting to have fewer menu reaches and more flyouts and wrist-proximate tools to reduce eye-movement.
jol  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 12:52:38 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Mark, aren't we just looking for a SolidWorks type mode for the Concept Explorer

To my mind CE (and setting perspective) are the weakest link now
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:42:44 AM(UTC)
ttrw

jol wrote:
Mark, aren't we just looking for a SolidWorks type mode for the Concept Explorer

To my mind CE (and setting perspective) are the weakest link now

Agreed!

I've got quite a bit of experience with the Solidworks history tree too if that helps? Building that hinge from SW's Online Tutorial is a real eye-opener! I'd love to have that dual functionality in Shark/ VC! :D

However, the SW history tree is intrinsically intertwined with assembly too- and VC/ Shark don't work that way. The current way of working in VC/ Shark is great if you are conceptualising objects from the ground upward, but if you are building top down, things get far more complicated. That's where I think SW assembly mode excels. Of course all this requires a lot more work, but if these tools existed in Shark for eg, I'd happily pay even more for the current asking price :cool: :D

PS- Nice to hear from you again Jol. :)
lebeau  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:55:01 AM(UTC)
lebeau

Yes, that is what I'm thinking if that's what your saying. The solid works feature tree while in assembly mode.

So we would have a feature tree (like we have) and an assembly tree that shows all the parts like Solid works assembly in another tab. The tabs should be able to be pulled out to be in a separate window.

While we're at it. What features should it have besides show, hide, change layer, rename, what else?
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 9:34:44 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Don't forget that the history tree in Solidworks is parametric, and although Shark is parametric, ViaCAD isn't. When a sketch in Solidworks is singled out for re-editing, it has an effect on other parts too. This is where Equations also come in handy, because they restrict a model from going haywire (something Solidworks is also quite capable of if not used correctly).

Talking of parametrics, I'd love to see parametric constraints added to the smart dimension function in Shark too, so that when a dimension is updated, it changes the length of the entity too. (Perhaps it does? I don't have Shark yet to test it- Shark is on my shopping list, but it's gonna be a while yet).

Tom
nick  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2008 2:12:07 AM(UTC)
nick

Hello Tom

It's already possible to do what you're describing in Shark & Shark FX with dimension tool from Constraints Palette. I knocked up a quick movie to show you. Had to upload to our website as board seems to be having a problem accepting files again, you can take a look at the following URL:

http://www.cadsoftsolutions.co....es/basic_constraints.mov

If you're thinking of purchasing Shark or Shark FX drop me an email as we are just about to launch an Aggressive Competitive Upgrade Promotion here in the UK.

All the best
Nick
jlm  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2008 3:25:56 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
nick wrote:
I knocked up a quick movie to show you.
an Aggressive Competitive Upgrade Promotion

Hi Nick,
Very good movie, thanks!
JL

Tim,
Please note on Nick's movie a good illustration of long living bug for dimensions display : "0", "6", "8", "9" have a white core when set above another color...

JL
ttrw  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2008 4:16:05 AM(UTC)
ttrw

nick wrote:

It's already possible to do what you're describing in Shark & Shark FX with dimension tool from Constraints Palette. I knocked up a quick movie to show you.

I don't think you quite realise how happy this makes me feel! :D

Truly incredible. There now is a viable Macintosh alternative to Solidworks!! Lets make sure that Apple know the good news about Shark FX. Versiontracker.com needs to know too!

nick wrote:

Had to upload to our website as board seems to be having a problem accepting files again,

Yes I tried uploading a tutorial/ sample VC file of a nut and bolt, and although I was well within the upload limit, the server wasn't having it. Punch/CSI really need to get on and sort these problems out- including making the forum Safari friendly and updating the headings from the CU range logos
to the latest Shark FX/ ViaCAD logos. It doesn't look good. It's too amateurish. Don't get me wrong, it's far far better than any of the big corporate CAD forums, where it is very difficult to get in unless you are a fully signed up member, ready to be spammed by a glutton of useless industry nonsense! :lol:

nick wrote:

you can take a look at the following URL:

http://www.cadsoftsolutions.co....es/basic_constraints.mov

Yes Nick, this is awesome! Thanks :D

nick wrote:

If you're thinking of purchasing Shark or Shark FX drop me an email as we are just about to launch an Aggressive Competitive Upgrade Promotion here in the UK.

I'll drop you a line when I'm ready. Please keep me up to date.

Tom
ttrw  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2008 4:56:10 AM(UTC)
ttrw

I emailed Tim this one, but I'm not too sure if he got it or not, but Microspot have recently announced their 3D toolbox that allows the user to start with a rudimentary viewer, and then upgrading using add-ons to the full version.

http://www.microspot.com/products/3dtoolbox/index.htm

I'd love to afford Shark, but it is presently out of my price range. I've thought of this type of upgrade thing before, but could this also be applied to the Shark range?

Those Shark parametric functions are just so tempting!
ZeroLengthCurve  
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:11:30 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

For some reason, when I have two drawings open in ViaCAD 6 (build 823, and even in builds before then), and then switch between drawings, the Concept Explorer tree keeps truncating, and this becoming annoying. I sometimes have a 2nd dwg open so i can cannibalize parts from another version or even a "parts-kit" copy of my work. I have to re-expand the trees.

I have tried closing and reopening the CE, but it's not cooperating. I want each drawing to control its OWN focus of the CE and not be so confused as to just "collapse" in confusion. If i had a few hundreds of spare dollars (and no "first place in line") creditors, i would buy Shark LT, Shark or Shark FX...
ZeroLengthCurve  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 3:28:35 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

I'd like to know whether or not VC7/VCP7 will address the problem of my trees in the CE collapsing when in toggle between drawings. Am i the only one with this issue?