logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chipmaker2  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2008 5:24:19 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The trim tool is a very good tool I like it. It works better than Autocad as far as I'm concerned. But when trimming/erasing a whole entity I keep getting the dialogue box that warns me I am going to delete the whole object. I wish there was a check box that said don't warn me in the future. That would save me a lot of clicking.

A deselect wish. When in the text mode and I need to exit the text mode one hit on the Esc key and the I am out of the text mode perfect. Another hit on the Esc key and the text is deselected. It doesn't get better than that. Keep it that way. My wish is that all the tools worked that way. After hitting the Esc key twice it would be nice to be in the you guessed it select mode automatically.:)
Regards,
Chuck
chipmaker2  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2008 5:30:59 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

I made a mistake in the original thread. Two clicks with the Esc button and the text is deselected. I would wish for a third click on the Esc button to come out of a given mode and return to the select mode.
Steve.M  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:03:52 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: chipmaker2 Go to Quoted Post
But when trimming/erasing a whole entity I keep getting the dialogue box that warns me I am going to delete the whole object. I wish there was a check box that said don't warn me in the future.

Hi,

A question if I may,

If you are actually deleting a full object why would you use trim?

The popup warning is there to ensure that the user knows that the outcome of a trim, which may be an intention to only trim a section, would in fact delete the object itself.

- Steve
chipmaker2  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:21:58 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Hi Steve M.
Good Question.
Often while triming I see other lines I don't want or as a reult of trimming some lines I don't want become whole objects because of being trimmed. I often select every thing in the trim area quickly clean things up. I am smart enough do decide what goes and what doesn't and I don't need the warning box. If I make a mistake their is always Ctrl Z. What it comes down to is that with out the warning box, less clicking, and I will save time.
Have a good day,
Chuck
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 11:51:57 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>I wish there was a check box that said don't warn me in the future.
>>That would save me a lot of clicking.

Great idea. I run across that all the time as well. Added to the enhancement database.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ZeroLengthCurve  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:55:27 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
"I made a mistake in the original thread. Two clicks with the Esc button and the text is deselected. I would wish for a third click on the Esc button to come out of a given mode and return to the select mode."

I too wish for something like that. I got too accustomed to (in AutoCAD) hitting Esc to terminate any command and return to select. However, *just* in case that is exclusive to ACAD (i don't know), ViaCAD could offer a user-set 1st and 2nd default depending on the speed and number of times Esc is tapped.

1 tap could be escape to select mode
2 taps could be re-enter the command just exited
3 taps could be show a palette of previously entered/aborted commands
4 taps could be show palette of commands for user-edit-mode (add/remove commands from Esc history tree)

Would that be nice?
chipmaker2  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 2:12:13 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
"I made a mistake in the original thread. Two clicks with the Esc button and the text is deselected. I would wish for a third click on the Esc button to come out of a given mode and return to the select mode."

I too wish for something like that. I got too accustomed to (in AutoCAD) hitting Esc to terminate any command and return to select. However, *just* in case that is exclusive to ACAD (i don't know), ViaCAD could offer a user-set 1st and 2nd default depending on the speed and number of times Esc is tapped.

1 tap could be escape to select mode
2 taps could be re-enter the command just exited
3 taps could be show a palette of previously entered/aborted commands
4 taps could be show palette of commands for user-edit-mode (add/remove commands from Esc history tree)

Would that be nice?

Since posting the thread I have noticed to my surprise that short cut keys are like hitting the Icons. If you are in circle mode and hit L for the line mode ( I Programed Las a short cut for line tool, the circle mode is exited and the circle just drawn, if that be the case, is deselected and at once and your in the line mode. I am actually doing more with less clicks than I would have used in autocad and that's good. So what I have done is programed a bunch of short cut keys from the File/shortcuts from the menu bar. Now comes the trim tool. I was asked why I would want to erase whole entities from the trim tool. That's because it's like having an erase/trim tool all in one.
Now here is a useful trick that is working for me especially for the trim tool because it is a tool that does not deselect the selected entities when it starts. Program the select all tool with the A key and deselect all with the N key, the N is for nothing selected in my mind. How to program that? From main menu click File/short cuts../ Pick the edit from the dialog box and you'll see these particular tools that can be assigned shortcut keys.
Now if an object is selected and then the trim tool is started you can't window selected objects. No problem hit the N key and then A key. The N deselects all and the A selects all and your ready to trim erase anything on the screen without leaving the trim mode.