logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chipmaker2  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 11:24:22 AM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
About a week ago I was tinkering and trying to make a 2d solid profile from a solid 3d object that I could dimension trim and modify with as I had done in Autocad. This was my hope when I recently bought the program and I am OK with this solution.:)
See the attached files for the process I used.
Step 1 . draw 3d part

Step 2 . Make a drawing sheet with phong selected, and check only the use draw view

Step 3 . Click on each view then select the part. Right click when the part is selected and click the change properties from the menue. Click the curves option and click yes at the links warning box. Do this to all views desired.

Step 4. Export the drawing as dwg in a folder etc.

Step 5 Open the dwg file you just created in Viacad and you are done. What you get is a flat solid profile of all your views. The holes can be dimensioned with the regular tools. I deleted the unwanted lines in the isometric view and in the other views I changed the properties of the lines that I wanted to appear as hidden.

In the attached file are some JPEGS of each step along the way. In one of the attached files I tilted the view so that you could see that the lines are truely on the same plane.
Hope this helps.
Chuck
chipmaker2 attached the following image(s):
Solid.JPG (17kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
dwg open to via.JPG (24kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
tilted dwg in via.JPG (26kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
finished dwg ti via.JPG (23kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
chipmaker2  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:39:05 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

I wanted to share a drawing I made today with the methods described above from a 3D solid.

See Attached file
chipmaker2 attached the following image(s):
Qc post.jpg (46kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jdi000  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:48:43 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Chuck

Great job with a way to extract line geometry from the 3d model. It takes a little bit to delete the extra lines but its worth it to get the geometry for drawings.

Regards
Jason
Windows 11, 10
chipmaker2  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2008 10:11:55 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Jason
Yes after the export import of the dwg file thier are extra lines that need deleting. The first thing I do after reopening the file is to pick on every entity in each view and delete the redundent lines. It would be nice if there existed away to expedite this more rapidly but as is it is quite manageable. If anyone has any ideas on deleting the extra lines please let me know.
Chuck