logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BWTR  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2007 6:47:11 PM(UTC)
BWTR

I am used to having background drawings or sketches behind the grid in the individual modelling top. left and right views.

I can not work out how to do this "properly" in ViaCAD.

Any help appreciated please.
BWTR attached the following image(s):
Untitled-1.jpg (130kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
BWTR  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:00:46 PM(UTC)
BWTR

Still hoping for a reply?
jol  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:22:32 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
BWTR .. ok I'll answer you !

Like a lot of stuff .. it half works really well

If you make your object transparent - in the display tab .. then you can see the grid in front of your drawing ... but not in wireframe mode .. only in OpenGL mode - lord knows why - besides you're probably about to draw wires

You need to use only bmps .. but why can't we import jpgs to use as backdrops? I don't know anyone that uses bmps. Besides .. isn't QT used to import all these formats effortlessly ?

I just sound like a "grumpy old man" these days .. Merry Christmas !
BWTR  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:07:58 PM(UTC)
BWTR

Jol. Thank you, but a lot of what you say does not make sence?

!. If one can not move either the grid or the image to align with each other, or size one or the other relativly to each other, it is all pretty useless.? (see jpg)
2.I can not understand the relativity of your OpenGL mode change. I do not see anywhere that you can change modes in the app in any case? The app does work, only, in OpenGL by default.?
3.By QT I presume you mean QuickTime? What in the world has that got to do with still image import--of anything? (That comment/suggestion of yours seem wildly wierd.)
(OK, i'ts extremely weak that the app can only handle bmp. Amazingly "old hat".)
BWTR attached the following image(s):
ViaCadUI.jpg (120kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jol  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:23:55 PM(UTC)
jol

BW

I can't apologise on behalf of Tim .. he thinks it's fine

Unfortunately he doesn't need to use it !

1. You can move your image around and you can scale it !!

You cannot move your grid around, nor can you have a grid that fits to your drawing .. as would make sence.

The grid will stay centred over the origin. This maybe fine for product designers, but is useless for vehicle designers who's origin is either front-mid-wheel or bow-meets-waterline

2. Wireframe mode is non-opengl. This is why your lines shift very slightly when you switch between WF and OpenGL

Why everything doesn't go thru OpenGL all the time like every other CAD app is a mystery to me. I'm convinced it causes more problems than it solves

HOOPS appears to be an excellent solution to these issues (!?)

3. QT offers the developers a kit - as I understand. When implemented, you can drag in or import all manor of image formats

Again .. I understand the lossless benefits of BMP but if you're listening Tim please accept .. designers don't use BMPs !

BW .. you can use this image-in-the-background with Grid stuff .. but it's half-baked .. as you say

It'd be nice to see a slick modern interface for placing and scaling sketches quickly .. instead of this cold stew
BWTR  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:38:00 PM(UTC)
BWTR

Only one thing that appears of interest out of that, --how does one size and move the image around as you suggest please.
jol  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:49:49 PM(UTC)
jol

Move it and scale it like you do anything else ..

select it (drag right to left over a border) .. and transform

in case you dont know .. you can turn on 'nudge' in the prefs (under general)

then you can move selected stuRf with your arrow keys (shift = x10)
BWTR  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:31:03 PM(UTC)
BWTR

Rubbish!

Please do not reply to any of my posts ---ever.
jol  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:52:36 PM(UTC)
jol

OK - glad I could help out
BWTR  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:21:50 PM(UTC)
BWTR

You do not realise that you have NOT given a single, logical, real, workable, piece of help.

Sorry mate!
BWTR  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 11:00:31 PM(UTC)
BWTR

At last!. By my own efforts somewhat. (Not too difficult to describe I would have thought)The grid and the "image" have to be on DIFFERENT layers!

THEN you can DO things.(Sorry, I come from other 2D and 3D and Nerbs type apps)

Jeeze!
SteveT  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:37:17 AM(UTC)
SteveT

The only thing I find wrong with importing a bmp trace image is, that the top left corner is always centered at 0 point, I always have to move it above 0 point, in order to make sense when creating objects from it.
In 2D front view, I consider 0. To be the horizon, ground level, Y in the world is the trace image always imported underground ???

Seeing the grid, in front of or in back of the imported bmp, is very easy to do, import the bmp in 2D front view, then switch to trimetric view and select/drag (from right to left) any corner of the flat panel, then nudge it behind the center point and switch back to 2D view, the grid will now be in front of the image, switch back to trimetric view and nudge it in front of zero point, then switch back to 2D front view, and the grid will be behind the image.

Sizing the panel is very easy, select it & use the scale tool, or drag/select 1 side of the panel from left to right, and nudge or translate it where needed (stretching it to the desired look)

And the only difference I see when switching from solid view to wire frame, is that the picture goes from a very clear bmp, to what looks like a reduced quality jpg, if the bmp is the best looking picture around, then Y not only import the Best to the Best PUNCH! Cad

Well, I guess that was 3 cents worth, I hope it helps somebody :D
Steve T.
BWTR  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 1:20:27 AM(UTC)
BWTR

Steve, thank you for the reply. But again, in yout first explanitory sentence,
--bmp "trace" image????----

after all of these years, why am I into a nomenclature domain of such difference?

I think I solved all of what I originally asked by discovering the (odd) layers solution as of my last post.

A pretty simple answer because most 3D apps dont need the benefits of layers in that way.

PS why would anyone NOT stick, ONLY, within the 3D working scenerio (UI)?
Are there, really, benefits in swapping from 2d and 3D modes?.
Art  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 8:44:03 AM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Wow, made sense to me.

Thanks JOL for the extra help when no one else came to his rescue. You have helped me out numerous times and I am sure I have not always mentioned how much I appreciate it.

Best,

Art
jol  
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:41:54 AM(UTC)
jol

Thanks Art .. sometimes you wonder why you bother : )

BW ..

'Trace' is defined in the dictionary as "copy (a drawing, map, or design) by drawing over its lines on a superimposed piece of transparent paper"

'Dictionary' is a book you may (or may not) find on your shelf

>> "You do not realise that you have NOT given a single, logical, real, workable, piece of help"

Then here's some ..

.. unplug your computer and make a sentence from the following popular words ..

ass it ram sideways your up
Claus  
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:23:39 PM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi Jol,

I personally enjoy your posts and always find them relevant. Sorry to see some people do not appreciate your very helpful efforts. I laughed at your last comment and agree with you completely.

Also, please don't stop reminding Tim & Co what they need to do in their own interest, and please don't be put off by one ignorant user who clearly is not worthy of any more attention.

I wish you a merry christmas and hope you continue your great posts in the new year.

Many regards

Claus
jol  
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 1:30:34 PM(UTC)
jol

Cheers Claus .. and a very Merry Christmas to you too

and to all !!

Funny that this should turn into the good will to all thread : )

(Hey, you're not Mr S Claus .. of N Pole .. are you?)
Claus  
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:22:54 PM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Sorry, no,

but from the cold north, though.

Cheers

Claus
BWTR  
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:30:31 PM(UTC)
BWTR

Sorry if things a bit tight about my responses.
1. How many 2D or 3D apps allocate the grid to a specific layer in the manner on ViaCAD?
2. Not knowing that specific, critical, piece of knowledge, most of the answers to my question were pretty ---well--- useless?
3. Some of the answers seemed to go down irrelevant, confusing, avenues--related to other concerns of the author?
4.I was a bit taken aback by what seemed 'sledging" of the apps maker.
5.I only questiond the aspect of the use of the word "trace" because, in my 76 years of English, I read it as the resultant image of tracing that had been done. There was an implication, as I read it, that I was, probably, a step beind in things somewhere.
6.I had a new question at the bottom of my previous post?

Hope that clears things up.
ToreT  
#20 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2007 4:41:54 PM(UTC)
ToreT

Man
Norway

I normally don't call on him, but being Christmas it must be OK.

Maybe I don't see the problem, but basically.

- it took me some days to find out I only could select an image by clicking on the edge.

- And that I had to select workplanes from the menu if I was in DynView to be able to draw in other planes

- And use Snaps: Work Plane

- Scaling, rotating and stuff seems to work

If only the programmers of this app. had enough resources, and had listened to JOL a lot of stuff would be fixed. In this thread he might be a little off subject, but he shouldn't be blamed for trying to come up with constructive suggestions.

Have a nice Xmas