logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brian Crowe  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:06:02 PM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

In 3D mode, I am having some trouble to do a Solid Add, Subtract or Intersection - I am trying to precisely place two solids in all three dimensions, and I swear that the solids "wander" around in ways I do not intend...

If I set the solids up in the Top view (XY plane), and then go to the Front view XZ plane) to position the objects further by changing only the Z-axis location, I should be done... But, if I go back to the Top view, I see that my one of my objects has shifted on the X axis. If I readjust the objects by changing only the X axis location and go back to the Front view, one of my objects has shifted on the Z axis.

I must be doing something wrong - or, I must misunderstand something very basic. I would appreciate some insight!

Thanks (again) - Brian
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:44:36 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Brian!

Welcome to the forum.

Objects wandering? Yes they do 'wander' around. We were supposed to have that fixed, but this little 'problem' seems to have crept back again :eek:

Tim?
jdi000  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 4:56:04 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi, Brian

How are you moving objects, dragging, using translate, snapping to geometry? Can you be more specific or post a file?

Thanks

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Brian Crowe  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 7:44:18 AM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

Good Morning!

TTRW and JDI000- Thanks for the welcome to this forum. It is a good sign when there are passionate users who will dedicate some valuable time to help a newbie over a hump - it speaks well for the software product and says volumes about the quality of people who are the users.

So, to answer JDI000's reply, I am trying to move two solid objects by dragging them in a Top, Front or Right view. My snaps are the default, and I snap to grid as a rule to place the objects. For "grins", I have attached a very simple file with the two solids - one a tall extruded "C" ring, and the other a arc-wise contoured tall extruded rectangle. The rectangle hang over the c-ring by a 1mm at the edges to avoid a bisected edge or face at a quadrant point or endpoint on the c-ring - this was essential to successfully blend the edges completely around the c-ring later.

If I nudge the tall rectangle around in the Front and Right views, and them nudge the c-ring around in the top view, I frequently close in on the desired alignment fairly quickly. If I nudge one part or the other exclusively, I can go in circles for quite a time...

Well, that's it for now on this problem. I assume that Tim is the VP at Punch who will collect problems and issues and address them as the company is able with maintenance releases. Tim - this is a "groaner" of a problem. On the whole, though, this is tremendous software.

Again, if there is something that I can do to work around this, it would be valuable for me to know!

Thanks again for your time.

Brian
File Attachment(s):
Intersection Problem.vc3 (35kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Art  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 10:55:49 AM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
There are 2 ways to move things around the workspace if you are not using other objects for reference:

1) use "arrow key nudge" under "preferences-general" (I assume when you say nudge you are not using the arrow keys)

2) select snap to "work plane"

Art

Shark FX
nick  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 11:12:18 AM(UTC)
nick

In addition to Art's tips you can also hold down x, y or z to lock transform to x, y or z axis.

All the best
Nick
joev  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 11:22:40 AM(UTC)
joev

"Wandering" items can be frustrating. Even if you hold the x,y,z keys down, other snaps can override. Sometime it's the timing of when you press the x,y,z keys.

If you turn off all snaps, you (at least I) can't select anything.
Brian Crowe  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:30:43 AM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

Thanks for those tips, fellows. As I look at this problem (with my software design hat on), it would seem that the issue indeed lies with unanticipated snaps that are active in planes other than the work plane. I can see this is the problem now when I have multiple viewpoints displayed. I will tinker with the snaps and the behavior while holding the X, Y or Z keys while I drag an object. This will require some "play time"...

I can see value in active snaps simultaneously in all three planes that would move an object to another object for example, another reference plane or the origin. I think I would have a 2D snap profile and a 3D snap profile that were differently maintained, activated and overridden (and assumed based on the context of the user action). The snaps feature is one of the powerful features of ViaCAD that makes creation "quick", but I think it makes movement and placement in 3D really difficult in the current implementation. Here is a rich opportunity for improvement for Punch to focus on in the next product spin.
ianjkirby  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:58:31 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Hi Brian,
I too, am a relative newbie, and maybe I don't understand your problem correctly. I can't help but wonder though, if you mightn't make good use of the tools within the "advanced transforms" section. The tools I refer to are "mate", "connect" and "align". I don't pretend to know much about these, but I did just read that section of my user's manual recently, and it seems to me to be a more positive way of moving objects around than "nudging" them. The relevant section of the manual is the second part of ch 27, "Transformations".
Regards, Ian.
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
Brian Crowe  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:46:21 AM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

Hi Ian -

Thanks for your reply! I hadn't thoroughly explored the Connect tools you mentioned. A quick "spin" with these Connect tools this morning had some very promising results for me - the Connect (pt to pt) tool in particular proved a very quick way to move objects the way I want to for some scenarios. THANKS!

Tim - if you are reading - I don't come from the CAD world at all, so I may have preconceptions for this software that aren't "rational"... I expect that when I have a very particular View displayed - a Top view, for example, I should be able to move any object in that plane, and I somehow should be able to assure that their relative depths should never change - an object shouldn't arbitrarily move along the axis perpendicular to the view plane to a snap point that is in front of or behind the plane if I don't want that movement - I somehow should be able to limit all movement to two dimensions. However, there is real value moving in three dimensions instead of two, too, and I want that capability in certain circumstances. Holding an x, y or z key to enforce movement along a certain axis is convenient, but also convenient (and elusive to me right now) is an ability to exclude movement along a certain axis. I am sure that ability is in ViaCAD 2D/3D (this software seems to be SO complete with regard to features and controls), and it is most likely associated with the Working Plane and the Snaps elections - it just isn't obvious to me how to control this, yet - I am still learning.

A scenario that has been tough for me to work through successfully involves positioning a rectangular block against a cylinder - I want an edge of the block to meet the wall of the cylinder intimately. I am trying to maintain the x-y-z location and orientation of the block, and drag the cylinder until the wall of the cylinder "kisses" a particular edge of the block. The connect tool works well for snap points on the cylinder and block. If I simply drag the cylinder to the block, the cylinder tends move radically along the axis that is perpendicular to my plane of view without my notice (until I change views...). The Connect tool helps.

I tried the Mate Face tool for this scenario, and it fails with the cylinder because both faces must be planar - pooh. If a block is edge-wise is tangential to the cylinder wall, it should connect to the nearest line projected on the cylinder wall or to a snap on the wall... Maybe that is asking too much for a product in this price-class. This capability is "almost within reach"... Maybe I Can do that, too, and I don't see how to do that, yet.

Well, thanks Ian - Connect tools help me!

Brian
ttrw  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:58:08 AM(UTC)
ttrw

correct me if I am wrong, but don't the mating tools only work with separate parts, or am I getting confused with the 'mating game' in Solidworks?
Tim Olson  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:49:20 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
correct me if I am wrong, but don't the mating tools only work with separate parts, or am I getting confused with the 'mating game' in Solidworks?

Tom

Yes the mate/align/insert tools work on different part faces.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ttrw  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:58:11 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post

Yes the mate/align/insert tools work on different part faces.

But must the parts be imported from separate drawings- or can they all be drawn on/ from the same table- so to speak?
jdi000  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 6:03:33 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Brian Crowe Go to Quoted Post
A scenario that has been tough for me to work through successfully involves positioning a rectangular block against a cylinder - I want an edge of the block to meet the wall of the cylinder intimately. I am trying to maintain the x-y-z location and orientation of the block, and drag the cylinder until the wall of the cylinder "kisses" a particular edge of the block...Brian

Hi, Brian

You were describing a cylinder moved and attached to a block, is the attached picture what you are referring to? Try drawing a line on the edge of the cylinder from quadrant of top to quadrant of bottom. Translate tool pick cylinder and midpoint of line drawn on cylinder then the midpoint of the edge on the block you what to attach to. You can translate the cylinder up / down where you need it with translate tool by entering distances in the data entry box. Then use rotate one point and pick cylinder and the midpoint of the block edge, pick the axis to rotate in the drop down box and you can enter the angle of rotation for the cylinder. All of this without switching views, is this what you are trying to do?

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
blockcylinder.JPG (33kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
Brian Crowe  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:46:05 PM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

Hi Jason -

Thanks for taking time to reply. The attachment in this thread is not the block cylinder problem. The attachment initially illustrated my experience with "wandering" solids while attempting to set up for an intersection that required precise positioning. I also experience wandering solids with the block and cylinder scenario I mentioned.

I understand what you are saying in your reply. You are quite correct - drawing a precisely placed line with a convenient snap point onto one solid makes alignment with a second solid a "snap". Just as you describe... It's a breeze - why didn't I think of that?

What does a 3D mill do with a line in a DXF file? I suspect that 2D objects are masked...

Thanks Jason -

Brian
unique  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 6:58:29 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Brian Crowe Go to Quoted Post

What does a 3D mill do with a line in a DXF file? I suspect that 2D objects are masked...

Thanks Jason -

Brian

Hello Brian,

Care to elaborate on that statement, im not sure if you meant to refer to a CAM system here ??:confused:
Brian Crowe  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:02:23 AM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

Hi Paul -

Let's start a new thread - Please look for Newbie Q3 in the Import / Export topic!

Thanks -

Brian
bradcan  
#18 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:02:19 PM(UTC)
bradcan

Hi

The method that works for me is to, simply, use the translate tool. For example to move one of your objects say minus 1mm in X ..

Select the object to move, click the 'Translate' icon, pick a convenient reference point. Now with the appropriate snaps selected move the cursor, say 'along x', doesn't mater + or -, now you should see the move and the deltas of the move in the info pane. You will often see some small (or large depending on snaps!) unintended y or z, so just zero these and adjust x to the exact amount required. When you get the hang of snaps this works just fine with moves in 1,2 and 3D either referenced to objects or not.

What's more if you go to the Features dialog with the moved object selected expand the tree. You can then select the Translate feature .. then Object Info .. Data. Where you will see and can adjust the translation data. Or just remove it.

A useful tip is to put your geometry in a different layer to that of your solids. You should then turn your geometry layer off ... Because unintentionally moving the geometry can also move the solids generated form it. Confusing, to say the least. Also there seems to be no way to get at and edit the Translate for geometry other than Undo which is gone after a save and exit.

Hope this helps.

Admin this is in reply to the original thread subject "Why do solids wander"
markb57  
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 9:35:28 PM(UTC)
markb57

Brian,

Just an idea.....maybe you could work out the cylinder to cube "kiss" in 2-D, then extrude as desired to 3D. I just did a quick test case and it worked well for me, but I don't have a good sense of your overall project. I drew a square first (2D), then used an "Opposite Point Circle" to draw the circle. I put the first circle point on one side of the rectangle (I had it snap to midpoint in this case), then used the second point to set the diameter. Extrude to taste, and voila - kissing cube and cylinder!

I hope this helps!

markb
Brian Crowe  
#20 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 8:21:13 AM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

Good Morning!

The more I use ViaCAD, the more impressed I am with the scope and flexibility of this software. Brad and Mark's advice to me are both highly effective. As has been said before, there is more than one way to skin a cat. And, I am still climbing the learning curve...

Thanks Brad and Thanks Mark. I learned valuable techniques from you both.

Best regards,

Brian