logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
beejay99  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 2, 2010 8:48:49 AM(UTC)
beejay99

As a new user of ViaCAD 2D/3D v7 I have been working through the supplied tutorials over the last few weeks. All has gone well until I got to trimming solids in the Modifying 3D solids tutorial where I can't replicate what is shown in either the video or step by step lessons. Trimming the solid with the curve should remove the rear of the block, all I can achieve is to cut a curved slot through the block...

No doubt I have misunderstood something but what? Where I am right now the learning curve is so steep I am in danger of falling off so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
beejay99 attached the following image(s):
demo.jpg (16kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
me.jpg (12kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 2, 2010 12:04:39 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi

I believe what you are doing is right as I get the same result you do when using the trim solid tool in version 7 of the program...

However its seems as if the trim solid tools is not behaving as it did back in version 5 or version 6... The trim solid tool in version 5 and version 6 behaves as the tutorial but 7 only seem to behave as a boolean tool not a trim tool, it is only trimming the intersecting parts.

Can anyone else confirm these results? please?

The video I attached is version 5 that split the solid as the tutorial , then if you press ctrl key it toggles the part of the trim solid that is retained it goes from left side to intersection only then to right side

Regards

Jason
File Attachment(s):
splitsolidv5.zip (537kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
jol  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 2, 2010 12:22:25 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Could this be because ACIS has been updated Tim ?
blowlamp  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 2, 2010 12:57:50 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Hi

I believe what you are doing is right as I get the same result you do when using the trim solid tool in version 7 of the program...

However its seems as if the trim solid tools is not behaving as it did back in version 5 or version 6... The trim solid tool in version 5 and version 6 behaves as the tutorial but 7 only seem to behave as a boolean tool not a trim tool, it is only trimming the intersecting parts.

Can anyone else confirm these results? please?

The video I attached is version 5 that split the solid as the tutorial , then if you press ctrl key it toggles the part of the trim solid that is retained it goes from left side to intersection only then to right side

Regards

Jason

This is what I get.
If you use a curve as a cutting tool in beta 949, it does trim the part in the way shown in the help widget, except I think it trims the opposite side to that indicated by the direction of the arrows.
Using a solid as a cutting tool just removes the intersection, leaving 1 part in several disconnected pieces that have to be separated by doing a Change Object Type... to Solids and then deleting the correct piece.

Martin.
beejay99  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 2, 2010 3:30:41 PM(UTC)
beejay99

Earlier today I wrote:
Originally Posted by: beejay99 Go to Quoted Post
As a new user of ViaCAD 2D/3D v7 I have been working through the supplied tutorials over the last few weeks. All has gone well until I got to trimming solids in the Modifying 3D solids tutorial where I can't replicate what is shown in either the video or step by step lessons. Trimming the solid with the curve should remove the rear of the block, all I can achieve is to cut a curved slot through the block...

No doubt I have misunderstood something but what? Where I am right now the learning curve is so steep I am in danger of falling off so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

In a very short time there have been several replies here which have reassured me as to my sanity and for which I am very grateful. Thanks again.
mlochala  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2010 7:59:28 AM(UTC)
mlochala

Yes, I will back you up on that, jdi000. I've been seeing that too.
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2010 2:12:25 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Checking...

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2010 2:57:25 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Found it. There was a difference in an low level ACIS procedure that is now accounted for.

Fixed in 950.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore