logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Birger  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2008 10:45:48 AM(UTC)
Birger

Man
Norway

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Running OSX 10.5.1 and Shark FX 737.

Shark FX will only import dwg/ dxf files if they are on the desktop and not in a user home directory or any subfolders !

Is this maybe a problem with localised european languages and not running US "english" as native language ? Would really be strange if it was so, but anyhow current status is truly a pain in daily use.

Any solution suggestion ?

.. oh, I forgot; - it is the same problem with export of dxf also ...
Thanks, Birger.
nick  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:36:33 AM(UTC)
nick

Hello Birger

All seems to be working fine here using 737 under Mac OS X English UK. Can you please provide more information such as name you are attempting to give file and complete path to folder you are attempting to create file in?

All the best
Nick
Claus  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:06:02 PM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Danish OSX 10.5: Using local characters () fail. This is a naming issue.

Official surveys in Denmark show that our language is slowly changing away from local characters due to computer limitation.

Parents name their kids international names.

I often find myself naming objects with names that does not contain local characters since it may give me trouble later, and in time it will probably change my vocabulary.

This is caused by American software developers (sorry) who believe the world ends at their borders and it's a real petty.

Continuing this rant, did you know that Apple does not supply a danish version of their office products? There is no Danish dictionary for their word processor, you have to find one on the web and do hacks to make it work! Font designers will not include local characters in their designs. And so on.

So much for diversity.
Birger  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:04:12 AM(UTC)
Birger

Man
Norway

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks Nick and Claus for the input, but my finding is this is not a case of filenaming using "non US" characters, it is pointing to inconsistency in the software coding or other (I do agree wholeheartedly with Claus sentiment though);

Testing; Renamed file to "abcd1234.dxf",
A, placed one copy in user "desctop" folder (this is called "skrivebord" in norwegian),
B, placed one copy in user "documents" folder (this is called "dokumenter" in norwegian),
C, placed another copy in a folder with "US characters naming" a number of folder lower "down" in "dokumenter",
D, placed another copy in a folder with "scandinavian characters naming" a number of folder lower "down" in "dokumenter",

Findings;
case A; DXF import and export will work
case B; DXF import and export will work
case C; DXF import and export will work
case D; DXF import and export will NOT work

So you may say that the problem here is folder naming using Scandinavian letters or a Non-US keyboard.

But, then try the same procedure with e.g. a step file (.STP file) and IT DOES NOT MATTER what folder name or where you put it, import and export does work !

Conclusion; There is a software bug in (at least) the DXF/ DWG import and export "plug-in" !

--------
If my memory does not let med down I think the only reason I knew you could open files by putting them on the desktop was that I have experienced this dxf/dwg problem before and wasted a lot of time (and time is money !) before stumbling on a solution.

Please also note that the above is not an issue with any of the other software I have installed !

I am sure I have reported it also before. This is one of the many points I have raised asking for someone other than the paying users to test the software with "European" settings using "non-US nomenclature and all".. Please let me politely repeat that asking then !
nick  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:08:41 AM(UTC)
nick

Hello Birger

Thanks for such a precise comparison and although it seems to make no sense as to why STEP works in one folder but DXF/DWG doesn't it does in fact make perfect sense as the DXF/DWG translators are provided by the Open Design Alliance as opposed to Spatial whose translators we use for most other file formats including STEP. I spoke with Tim yesterday and I believe he has already reported the problem to the Open Design Alliance

Best regards
Nick