logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Birger  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2007 1:06:05 PM(UTC)
Birger

Man
Norway

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
On a MacBook Pro 17"; Working "in the field" on the 17" inbuilt screen - everything is fine, but then

- On the CU4 660 build, if you happen to connect to a 30" monitor and wake the macbook from sleep, and then start CU; The CU window will flash by at full size on opening CU, but then automatically resize to something like a 23" window. No chance of manually resizing the window by dragging the corner either.

To avoid this you have to manually go to user prefs and delete the Render.ini file each time. Not very productive..

Was the same problem back in the early CU3 days I think.. I can post some screen shots if you lift the 40k limit... hope the technically minded do understand what I am trying to explain here?
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2007 1:19:37 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>On the CU4 660 build, if you happen to connect to a 30" monitor and wake the macbook from sleep, and then start CU; The CU window will flash by at full size on opening CU, but then automatically resize to something like a 23" window. No chance of manually resizing the window by dragging the corner either.

CU/C3D/C2D use OpenGL to display data to screen. It requires enough VRAM to support a true color rgb back buffer and front buffer. I did not think a MacBook Pro has enough VRAM to support this. So what you maybe seeing is a drop down in the window size such that OpengGL can be supported with the given VRAM. If I recall, Concepts has logic within it that wont let you size beyond what OpenGL will support.

FYI, I'm not aware of any changes to OpenGL in SP3.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Birger  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2007 5:02:12 PM(UTC)
Birger

Man
Norway

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
i dont know if that is the case though as fact is the best Apple laptops has had support for the 30" Apple LCD since day one.
I have myself used a 17" Powerbook with 128mb vram without problem, and the current Macbook Pro with 256mb vram work without a hitch with this massive monitor. I am actually very impressed with Apple for making this happen. The 30" is a beautiful monitor and really helping out on cad work on large complex models.

Maybe this problem I was trying to explain is part of another CU case;
1, Start CU on the macbook pro native screen and open a file or create a new one. Then close the lid and let the machine sleep. 2, Connect an external monitor (20" r 23"), wake the macbook from sleep (with its lid still closed so all vram is used for the external monitor).
3, You will then probably find that the "top window" (gray band on top) in CU does not scale to the the new monitor resolution. And your open file will have a window which is partly hidden behind this "top window". You have to quit CU and open CU again for thing to get back to "normal".
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2007 12:11:18 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>i dont know if that is the case though as fact is the best Apple laptops has had support for the 30" Apple LCD since day one.

Ok. You might be able to test if VRAM is the issue by changing your color setting to thousands and see if the problem repeats. Because we double buffer, that means we need 2 times your screen resolution * color depth for vram.

>>1, Start CU on the macbook pro native screen and open a file or create a new one. Then close the lid and let the machine sleep.

Maybe its because we initialize OpenGL at the start of the program, and when a different monitor is connected and the program awakes but does not adjust for the larger screen.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore