logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
andras1021  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2013 3:59:21 AM(UTC)
andras1021

Hi there,

I am Andras and I am new to this forum. I have been using viacad 2D 3D v5 for quite some time and I have been rather happy with my progress. I am using it to build my own 3D print models.

I am now trying to build a train coach model with a round roof. I have tired to use solids but I do not think that the curves that are needed can be built using solids.

I attach a link to a coach with a similar roof that I have found on the internet:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pi..._81_20-04_021-9_Str1.jpg

What kind of functions do you recommend for building such a struvture.

Many thanks

Andras

Now I am have one question which i do not
Tem  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:20:41 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Andras,
Welcome to the forum.
In the train car picture you have provided I see a combination of forms that have a simple round transition between them. If possible, can you find side and end views? These other views will improve your understanding of the roof form. Maybe, try utilizing surfaces to cut away unneeded material, remember the cutting surfaces must always extend past the solid or surface you are attempting to cut material away from.A simple profile could be extruded along the roof side, then use it as a cutting feature to remove a portion of the roof. repeat this technique for all sides as needed, then round the transitions.
memphisjed  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 4:34:29 AM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
extrude the dominant cross section, keep sharp edges between main arc and sides.
Use elliptical blend to dome ends, lots of error before trial and error yields right, then perform radial blend on top outside edge (radius wants to be small).
File Attachment(s):
trainhood.vcp (91kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
memphisjed attached the following image(s):
trainhood.jpg (15kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.