logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bougalan  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:38:58 AM(UTC)
bougalan

Is there a way to pick the ends of a line to extend it by dragging? I can only seem to drag the line rather than the end points.

Is there any other way of extending a line object? I note there is a trim command but no apparent extend command.
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:37:55 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I believe this will be a new feature in Shark v6. AFAIK, at the moment you just have to highlight the line, then add a much higher number in object info, then use the trim tool, or redraw the line again.
erik  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:37:20 AM(UTC)
erik

In ViaCAD 3D, you can use Select Deep to select a line end point and stretch/drag it.
Also, if you hold down the Ctrl key while using the trim tool, it extends the line.
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:48:49 AM(UTC)
ttrw

:o

Thanks Erik! Two new ones to me :D:D

(like I said, I gave up on the manual ages ago, and just stumble around until something works, or someone like yourself enlightens me!)

Tom
blowlamp  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:50:45 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

You can stretch a left-to-right selection box around the end of the line, to highlight the end point, and then move it where you want. You can also highlight the line and do a Ctrl-D to show all its points, which can be selected and manipulated as you like.
Ditto what eric said about the Trim Tool.

Martin.
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 6:13:36 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: blowlamp Go to Quoted Post

Ditto what eric said about the Trim Tool.

Hmm yes- kind of. Again it's another fiddly operation. In my case it's the Apple-Command key rather than the Ctrl key (which Mac's also have, but don't do the same thing!)

Press the Command (Ctrl for Windows) key, while highlighting a line, and two little points will appear at both ends. The select the select key (after deselecting the line), and reselect one of the points. The line can then be resized.

It's a phaff, and it's one of my major grumbles about VC/ Shark- ie too complicated sometimes for it's own good. Also all these key changes are giving me stiff wrists!! My vote would be more options to customise the right-click contextual menu, and of course, simplifying some of these tool processes.
[COLOR="Red"]Edit; I've just worked out that you don't need the trim tool at all- just highlight the line while pressing the apple-command key (Ctrl for Windows) :D [/COLOR]

Really looking forward to V6, Tim! :D
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 6:45:11 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Hmm- still a bit buggy though, as the line I originally chose using the trim tool, is now the only line that'll allow me to use the extend facility! :confused:

what's that all about?? :confused:
chipmaker2  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:02:21 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]
Hmm- still a bit buggy though, as the line I originally chose using the trim tool, is now the only line that'll allow me to use the extend facility!

what's that all about??[/COLOR]

Hi TTRW
I not sure I understand the bug to seem to have but I haven't experienced it myself.
If you pick a line for a trim line only that line will work for trim and extend and thats the way it is supposed to be. To give me complete liberty I usually after picking the trim command hit the "A" key which selects all lines. Then I trim and extend at will.
Hope this helps,
Chuck
ttrw  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:11:02 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Woah! light blue text on a white background- now that isreallybadfortheeyes!!! :eek:

Cheers Chuck! That's more excelent advice. :cool: I will bookmark this thread too (and who knows, I may even re-write VC's ubershite manual someday?! :cool:)
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:49:45 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: chipmaker2 Go to Quoted Post
I usually after picking the trim command hit the "A" key which selects all lines.

Chuck, You must have set your commands up differently, because pressing the A key on my copy of VC doesn't replicate that command :(

hang on, you mean apple-A right? Select all?? Yes, I know about this command already!! What I discovered was that I was UNABLE to pick another line, after editing the first.

Tom
ttrw  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:55:08 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: erik Go to Quoted Post
In ViaCAD 3D, you can use Select Deep to select a line end point and stretch/drag it.
Also, if you hold down the Ctrl key while using the trim tool, it extends the line.

It's driving me nuts, but would newens to the forum please place in their sigs what OS they use? Please?? It really helps as not everyone uses Windows!!
ZeroLengthCurve  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:38:36 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
In my case, put an appropriate line at the target coordinate i need. Then, i window (or one-by-one) select the lines or geometry of interest and use the translate command (n key in my case) to "stretch" that geometry. If you're stretching solids or lines this can be quite quick and efficient when your start and finish points are easy to see.

In my case, i accidentally realized i could stretch part of a plate of steel in useful or useless directions, but if you know what you're doing/after, you could create some interesting jewelry, sculptures, and shapes that could be glass, steel, plastic....
chipmaker2  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2009 8:50:39 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Chuck, You must have set your commands up differently, because pressing the A key on my copy of VC doesn't replicate that command :(

hang on, you mean apple-A right? Select all?? Yes, I know about this command already!! What I discovered was that I was UNABLE to pick another line, after editing the first.

Tom

I can't remember Tom if I set up that short cut key or if it came that way from factory. If you go to File>shortcuts>Edit>select all, and then type a for a short cut key it will work for you. As a matter of fact while your setting up shortcut keys you might want to assign s for select and d for deep select and so on. The short cut keys are easy to assign and makes the program a lot slicker to use.
If you want to see what I mean before setting up shortcut keys try your trim tool and then select all by hitting Ctrl A.
Regards,
Chuck
ttrw  
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:07:21 PM(UTC)
ttrw

No offence Chuck, but did you actually read my post?

Also 'ctrl-A' as a windows user, may very well work for you, but it doesn't work for me! ;) :rolleyes:
ZeroLengthCurve  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:22:03 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
"ds"? When did ViaCAD begin supporting multi-key shortcuts?
ttrw  
#16 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:54:18 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
"ds"? When did ViaCAD begin supporting multi-key shortcuts?

It doesn't. Chuck is again talking nonsense (or is confusing himself with his knowledge of AutoCAD?). I also checked out Chuck's earlier suggestions about the trim and extend tool- and they didn't work either (ACAD delusions again?). :mad:

Chuck, dude, why instruct us on how to use a tool if you haven't a clue how to use it in the first place? Please mate, we need to get these things right, not to give incorrect information. All this does is detracts from the subject, because it automatically assumes, to others, that the function does exist, when it doesn't!! :mad:
ttrw  
#17 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:10:03 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Chuck is again talking nonsense

Eureka! It DOES work!! (line extend) :eek: :o

But not.... always. :confused::confused:
ttrw  
#18 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:13:15 PM(UTC)
ttrw

It seems that once I've extended one end, I can't extend the other!!!!! How stupid is that??

Tim? Can you elaborate? A bug??
blowlamp  
#19 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:29:45 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

As a Windows user (:D), this is what works for me. Press Shift+Ctrl while selecting a line shows its end points - Ctrl on its own, does nothing. Selecting the Trim tool and highlighting a jumbled collection of lines, arcs and circles etc, similar to the attached pic, does allow me to trim to intersections at will. If I toggle certain selected lines by use of the Shift key and mouse clicking, I can then go on to extend a line by pressing the Ctrl key while still using the Trim tool.

Martin.
blowlamp attached the following image(s):
monkeyart.jpg (47kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
zumer  
#20 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:28:04 PM(UTC)
zumer

Deep select, pick one entity, move its points by picking up. Stretch a window around a point shared with others (endpoints), move that point for all. Window select multiple points on multiple lines and apply the same translation to all (maintain relationship). The circumstance where I've needed to apply the translation tool is some combinations of when all points to be moved can't be selected with one window. I haven't figured which selection combinations determine that circumstance yet, ie I can't deselect points that are to remain stationary.

Windows OS.