logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2024 11:59:17 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Hi, I suddenly realized that I have never tried to print or plot from SharkCAD, and, as for ViaCAD or VCP, it's been so many years that I barely remember unless I happen upon old prints done as tests done on 8.5x11 — way back around 2011 or 2010.

I searched on "plotting from shark" from within the forum.

This was all that returned:

https://forums.punchcad..../default.aspx?g=search#0|5

Just two topics:

"Witness line length"

"Annotation Paradigm, Views and Pastes (#1351)"

When I used to work in a naval architecture/marine engineering firm, where AutoCAD was the primary CAD app, we plotted to an expensive HP plotter. The drawings made and plotted were excellent (if made by others, not by me; I myself was horrible at plotting, setting up drawings, etc).

My question: Is there anyone using SharkCAD or VCP who exclusively uses these apps and who sends prints or plots to a plotter, on large format sheets the way one might if using, say, AutoCAD or other CAD tools?

Or, do you export or "Save As" your drawing to dxf, reorganize it in a different CAD app, and then plot from there?

I want to be able to set up a drawing standard, do "Zoom All", then send a drawing to a plotter or let others do it with the file (whether they have an in-house plotter or they go to a print shop).

I don't think I'll ever afford a large format plotter. I might be forced to save it (large ship drawings set up as if primary views of the paper-based days) to a PDF and have a print-on-demand service deliver to whomever buys my drawings.

Any input, advise, best practices, etc based on your personal experience would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Birger  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2024 1:00:00 PM(UTC)
Birger

Man
Norway

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi,

Good old hpgl, those were the days: Still have rather expensive pen plotter in storage which could print for meters on end on mylar sheets 90cm wide. Used to print 1:1 hull frames a.o. on that one. And it was unbelieveably accurate, way way better than anything you nowadays get at a print shop. But as said not in use anymore as composite mould tooling nowadays is 3D milled.. (see www.kullmann.no for what we do).

For making general printable files you could either print on your own printer, or take for a print shop for A1 or A1 or larger sizes, I would advice you to set up your own templates, make your projections and arrange as needed, and then print to a PDF file. This is how most print shops would prefer as they are used to handle PDF files. Do make sure to check your line weight do print ok though so your lines are rvisible on paper printed.

best of luck
Birger
thanks 1 user thanked Birger for this useful post.
ZeroLengthCurve on 4/28/2024(UTC)
MaiFy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2024 7:36:13 PM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I just do simple print to sheets but it took me a while to work out the printing in, I think it was shark cad 7 at the time.
Its sort of hidden away, but just posting this in case you you are not aware of the printing controls you have under the file menu.

I just select the printer I want to print to, as long as the drivers are installed it just prints.
Print to PDF works well if you have a printer program that does that, It would then appear under your printers to select from.

Edited by user Sunday, April 28, 2024 7:45:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: clarity

MaiFy attached the following image(s):
Print-controls.jpg (272kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked MaiFy for this useful post.
ZeroLengthCurve on 4/28/2024(UTC)