logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Christy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 7, 2023 4:40:37 PM(UTC)
Christy

I'm not sure if this is a technical issue or if I am doing something wrong! I have several sheets in the same file I want to print to PDF. I can print one, no problem, then the next one makes the program non-responsive (little blue circle going around and around!). I have to shut the program down and restart every darn time! This is getting really old!
Anyone else having this issue?
creativecad  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 7, 2023 7:43:47 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Christy,

It probably depends on your pdf printer. I use Microsoft Print to PDF the most. It seems to work the best. I have used Bullzip, PDFCreator, and Foxit. These 3 work but sometimes do not display correctly.

The Microsoft printer doesn't have many options, and does not automatically open the PDF after it creates it. A little annoying, but it does the job for me.

I am using Viacad pro on Windows 10 home. Print by layer works great. It did act a little sluggish after a couple of prints, but it still worked for me.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
thanks 1 user thanked creativecad for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 6/8/2023(UTC)
Christy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2023 9:19:22 AM(UTC)
Christy

Thank you, but I have tried it with both of my PDF printers and it happens every time. I have PDF Architect and Microsoft Print to PDF. I open the file, select a sheet to print, print exactly as it is supposed to, then go back to print the next sheet. I can print set-up and everything. As soon as I click on File: Print, ViaCad goes unresponsive and won't do anything. I have left it and had a coffee and came back, nothing. Only option is to shut down the program and start again.
MaiFy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2023 7:52:29 PM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Hi Christy.
I am having the exact same problem.
I am on windows 11 home edition and ever since windows updated from 10, I have had problems.
I tried other PDF printers, but like you say 1 print and it hangs up.

I upgraded from viacad pro10 to viacad pro14 to try and fix the problem, but the same thing is happening.

I have to start task manager to shut it down.

After closing it down I find an open screen as in the attached image.

In the image, it hasn't changed to the PDF print printer and is trying to use the normal inkjet printer.
I have tried to find various print settings in windows, but I am not very good with background settings in windows.
So yes, if someone has any tips that would be appreciated because it is a real drag having to restart all the time to get some pdf prints.

Edited by user Thursday, June 8, 2023 7:56:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MaiFy attached the following image(s):
Print problems.jpg (61kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
UGMENTALCASE  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 9, 2023 10:38:44 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 205 post(s)
You'd think with the problems pdf printing has and this software that they would provide a built in one that works to save everyone all this messing about
jdi000  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2023 7:11:42 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Christy Go to Quoted Post
Thank you, but I have tried it with both of my PDF printers and it happens every time. I have PDF Architect and Microsoft Print to PDF. I open the file, select a sheet to print, print exactly as it is supposed to, then go back to print the next sheet. I can print set-up and everything. As soon as I click on File: Print, ViaCad goes unresponsive and won't do anything. I have left it and had a coffee and came back, nothing. Only option is to shut down the program and start again.

Hello, Christy

What OS are you running? Cutepdf print driver is a good option to try.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
MaiFy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 18, 2023 5:53:52 PM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Just an update for others that might be having printing problems.

I sent a inquiry via the support page.

Quote:
Hi Baif,

Sorry for the inconvenience, please share your file and make a short video of the printing issue and share with me.

U.Zubair
Punch Software | QA/Support Engineer

I made a short video and sent it in with a file.

Quote:
Hi Baif,
Sorry for the inconvenience, Dev team is already working on this issue and will be fixed soon.

U.Zubair

I want to know roughly how long it will take to get fixed, because, well its one of my production tools and printing should be one of the more simpler things to fix. Hmmmm maybe, just about every program prints, right?

On Thu, 15 Jun at 8:47 PM , Baif wrote:
Thanks.
Can you give me an indication of a timeframe and will you be sending us a software update when it is done?.
Printing from the program is one of the most essential needs for us.
Taking screen shots is just not good at all.
Thanking you
Mark

Quote:
Hi Baif,
Sorry for the inconvenience, we are working on it and will be fixed soon. Yes, we will provide you the latest build.
U.Zubair
Punch Software | QA/Support Engineer

So now we wait and see how long or if.

I think it would be useful to to have a page with a list of confirmed bugs and fixes if available or requesting any observations that may help with the fixes.
Perhaps a link to the download page with the procedure to update.

I've wasted a lot of time trying to sort this out and by the sounds of it they have been aware of it already.
I don't mind reporting things that I know cause a hang up or crash, I don't mind trying to create the situation or trying to work out what makes the program mis-perform. but looking all over the internet for printer setups or solutions is a waste of my time if they are already aware of the problem.
I don't mind buying version 14 if its going to work properly, But this started happening to the version 10 I had. (I think it was a windows 11 induced upgrade bug, so not a Punch cad problem for the old version) I know support runs out on a program that you buy a copy of and not a subscription to, but if its a new release, I expect the basics to work and a certain amount of after sale warranty to get fixed within a reasonable amount of time.

I really like the program, Its great, just feeling a little disappointed.

Edited by user Sunday, June 18, 2023 6:03:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked MaiFy for this useful post.
GARLIC on 6/19/2023(UTC)
MaiFy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 9, 2023 7:20:21 PM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Just an update if you were having these printing problems.
This issue has been addressed and fixed here in this post by Tim.

Link to Wip or latest release

Good to see this fixed.
Thanks Guys