logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2023 2:46:07 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The following is about SharkCAD v14 build 1625, Windows version.

Thanks to everyone involved in the development of this great software!
I fully understand that my recommendations are nowhere near as important as the tools in this software, but they are still rather important in my work. My observations are mainly related to user experience from a designer's perspective.

So far I found these bugs while setting up my workspace:
- perspective doesn't work.
- anti-alias only works for static shader and only when static and dynamic shader are different. Also, anti-alias doesn't work with transparency, not even with static shading.
- ambient light settings do not work.
- some render to file settings are missing.

I was previously using ViaCAD Pro 11 and was really hoping that the following changes would have made it to version 14:
- selecting edges of surfaces or solids to copy.
- customization of mouse buttons. For example, in DynView, a right-click (click and release) opens a menu, as it does now. Pressing and holding the right mouse button activates dynamic rotation.
- shortcuts for viewport layouts.
- viewport layouts, perspective and focal length should save with the file so you don't have to set them up again the next time you open the file.
- Ctrl + arrow key should activate Micro Nudge, 10 times smaller than Nudge.

At least for me, these changes would make working with PunchCAD much more enjoyable and faster.

Cheers
MPSchmied  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2023 10:32:12 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 770 Go to Quoted Post
Pressing and holding the right mouse button activates dynamic rotation.
This is already possible when you press the Alt key and then the right mouse button. However, you can also use the middle mouse button.
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2023 11:39:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MPSchmied Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: 770 Go to Quoted Post
Pressing and holding the right mouse button activates dynamic rotation.
This is already possible when you press the Alt key and then the right mouse button. However, you can also use the middle mouse button.

Thank you! Yes, it's true that Alt + right mouse button or middle mouse button activates dynamic rotation, but that's not quite what I had in mind.

Speaking of Alt, I remembered one more thing that could improve the user experience, and that is the ability to add Shift, Ctrl and Alt to shortcuts.
24c  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2023 3:20:18 AM(UTC)
24c

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Just a quick one on bugs & wishes, the Short Cuts tool is quite useful for me, as an example I often export my CAD stuff to a 3D printer, so I created a Short Cut for Export on mouse action. It works really well and stops me having to track to File>Export in the top menu bar. Maybe some more flexibility could be added here, as I cannot use the command key on macOS within SharkCAD in Short Cuts, which would be useful from a workflow perspective.

Mike
macOS 14.3.1 (Sonoma) - MacBook M1 Max 64GB 2TB SSD & external display - SharkCAD Pro v14.1.0 build 1652
thanks 1 user thanked 24c for this useful post.
770 on 5/4/2023(UTC)
creativecad  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2023 6:26:56 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I am testing the free trial of V14 ViaCad Pro. No crashes so far. Great!

I have noticed one new problem that needs some attention. When I import the V12 files, all of my callout dimension notes are changed to a number instead of the note I had drawn originally with the V12 ViaCad.

Also, there are still previous problems that have not been fixed.
Deleting a line that was used with the trim solid tool still causes display problems of the solid in the current viewports (polyline view). No matter what I do to try to fix the display error in the viewport, the display error will come back if the viewport is regenerated.

All groups still have to be ungrouped before you can display the group in a viewport. Sometimes I have a lot of big groups from DWG files I import.

Another interesting thing that has happened with V14 is that I can no longer make a copies of viewports with drawings in them to get blank viewports.

In V12, I can make duplicate viewports and sheets for multiple parts on the fly... Select the sheet with viewports by dragging a window around it; Use the gripper to copy that sheet over to the side; change that sheet to a new layer, and place it on top of the original sheet for printing. Now you have a sheet with BLANK viewports with all of the info PRESET to the original sheet settings.

In V14, if you try this, the viewports are NOT BLANK. Now you have to create new viewports and change the properties of every single viewport individually which takes time.

Maybe I am complaining too much, but I just hate losing good stuff.

Suggestion: Perhaps also you put the viewport properties in the inspector so we can change multiple viewport properties at once.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2023 7:37:28 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>When I import the V12 files, all of my callout dimension notes are changed to a number instead of the note I had drawn originally with the V12 ViaCad.

Would it be possible for you to send me the V12 file that has this problem?

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
creativecad  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2023 3:04:42 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>>
Would it be possible for you to send me the V12 file that has this problem?

Yes, I sent it today at the masterviacad.com page.

ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10