logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boydage  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 2:20:19 AM(UTC)
boydage

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I have a bug, well there are a few of them and I am just a dash from ditching Punch for ever and ever. I think I am too old to have a program with so many issues - the more I have advanced into CAD the more that appear. Some blatant some not. I don't think it will be too difficult to start using Fusion 360 for my modelling. At least I wont have to keep changing my units from imperial to metric EVERY time I import a STEP file out of Shark into a CAM program. I used to think to upgrade might be a good idea but I think its a waste of money because I don't trust the software anymore. And that's what its all about huh, trust. Ok rant over.

I have lost the ability to collapse the Inspector. So its either filling a large part of my workspace or I have to close it completely. Where I used to be able to auto collapse to right or top etc, there is now nothing except for the normal "move. close etc" options on right click. TBH its driving me absolutely CRAZY.

I have tried to completely uninstall the copy I have on my PC. But even on fresh install, it just comes back same as if nothing had changed. So the request for registration and serial is not there, so there must be a step I am missing when I uninstall. I am sure if I went to a new PC that I would need to input new information. Somehow this info is remaining on my PC.

Yep - ive restarted after program uninstallation. Deleted everything Punch related. Still, when I installed twice today now, and straight back into the same old.

I am really hoping someone might point me to the solution? Like I say, about to ditch Shark but you know, I did pay a bit of money for it seems like a waste.

thanks 1 user thanked boydage for this useful post.
specktech on 6/10/2021(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 5:18:33 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Interesting you have the step issue as well? It never used to be an issue up until recently when I sent some files to someone and they complained about it.
To completely remove just set fire to it! LOL
Not sure to be honest, apart from an install and there are programs out there that'll clean out unused registry things and non used folders
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
L. Banasky  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 5:20:07 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Try upgrading to Build 1572, some of the problems were actually fixed, including
Import-Export issues.
Larry

thanks 1 user thanked L. Banasky for this useful post.
jlm  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 5:36:31 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: boydage Go to Quoted Post

I have lost the ability to collapse the Inspector. So its either filling a large part of my workspace or I have to close it completely. Where I used to be able to auto collapse to right or top etc, there is now nothing except for the normal "move. close etc" options on right click. TBH its driving me absolutely CRAZY.

I had a similar issue many times in the past with the Concept Explorer refusing to collapse.
Please find below the trick Tim sent me to solve it... in 2015.

"The AllowCollapse field must be getting set to FALSE in the sfxdialogs.ini. I'll keep debugging the double click name change area of the code searching for something unusual.
[Concept Explorer]
DisplayAtStartup=FALSE
CurTab=Features
AllowCollapse=TRUE
LRCollapseMode=NONE
TBCollapseMode=NONE
UpperLeftPos=1686,144
WidthHeight=581,697
TreeHt=50"
thanks 1 user thanked jlm for this useful post.
boydage  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 1:53:27 PM(UTC)
boydage

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Thanks for the replies I will check out the last one. Ive asked for the latest build to see if I can resolve this.

Re the STEP export, I did ask Punch about it and he showed me the code that does it, but then no way to fix it. Its in the export portion of the program. So anything exported in STEP immediately changes to imperial. Sometimes, not too often, I will forget to convert and boom, my part is massive.
thanks 1 user thanked boydage for this useful post.
UGMENTALCASE  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 1:59:05 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Yeah it never used too! The program is written in imperial (I believe) and then has all the conversions put in. I think this because there has been numerous problems over the years with things not reading right and it was down to the 25.4 conversion not working in the code.
thanks 2 users thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
jlm on 6/10/2021(UTC), specktech on 6/10/2021(UTC)
specktech  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 10:59:03 AM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Amazes me that any cad program would have code written in Imperial. My cam and 3d slicers all use Metric. Maybe that explains some of the problems. I am running 1582 the newest build. I can draw up some of the coolest creations. And everything is just going along nice and smooth. Then it will lock up at very random moments. Mostly when backstepping/ un-doing previous selections. I never would have thought that a program like ViaCad would not be getting bugs fixed. I was sending screenshots of problems with the wrap text feature, to the support desk. I could tell they had no interest in fixing any problems. I have been able to use the wrap feature to some extent. But it is really hit or miss. I'am super stoked on ViaCad. But looking back wished I would have looked deeper. Bums me out reading that other people are all finding the same bugs. Especially users that spent twice the amount I did. I spent about 700$. I have been testing just about every cad program out there. Some of them are so amazing. My main focus is on cad programs I can own. I am not interested in yearly maint. fees. I recently tested Zw3d 2022. It is really cool. But at this point I will just learn as much as possible with ViaCad pro V12 w power pack. And I hope and pray that some updates will be released. I read 1582 was mostly for macs. So I did not see much change.If you ever want to see what these programmers are dealing with. Google Blender devs. This lead programmer named Sergey has a brain like a super computer. Wish Punch had someone like that. Big smiles
UGMENTALCASE  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 11:18:49 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

You only need to look at the BETA part of the forum. Absolutely no response from anyone on there. So who knows when you'll get an update. Might just appear, but I think on the Apple side of things, which I also believe it's developed on (watching Tim's vids on line) is causing a headache. There has been lots of things not working after the OS updates in the Apple world.

I say it was written in imperial, loads of the files in the background are like that as well. Using 0.039 as units and stuff like that. Coordinate compare gave results in imperial. The emboss function of the wrap function, up until recently, worked in imperial, you added '1' to the value and you got something an inch thick!

Edited by user Thursday, June 10, 2021 3:10:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
GARLIC on 6/11/2021(UTC)
MPSchmied  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 9:00:06 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
What is imperial?
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
posh.de  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 10:04:33 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MPSchmied Go to Quoted Post
What is imperial?

spooky units (inch/foot/yard/mile or pint/gallon) based on the twelve system invented by the British in those times and no ISO of course.

and now for something completely different, there are imperial storm troops also...

Edited by user Friday, June 11, 2021 10:07:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

POSH GmbH
www.posh.de