logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jbskaggs  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2021 7:12:30 AM(UTC)
jbskaggs

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Okay let me preface this that I have used viacad since 2015.

I suffered a year of chemo and ended up forgetting a lot and I am essentially having to start over.

My business model has changed after I reopened my shop and I am now building small homes and gypsy wagons.

I need direction to tutorials that would help me achieve architectual and structural plans in Viacad. Many of my walls slope outwards and roofs are curved.

My workflow is rough 3d model and 2d floor plan with bid to customer, then completed detailed 3d plan and structural drawings upon contract.

I have to build 2d plans for cnc cutting for cabinetry as well as architectual sections, details, and elevations.

So any help with tutorials or advice I would appreciate. If Viacad isnt the right choice for me I would like to know why, but since I have supported it for 6 years now I would prefer to continue to do so if its the best decision- especially considering I dont want to spend $3000 yearly for other systems.

I am sorry if this seems strange but you would be shocked to know what aggressive chemo does to your mind and memory. Relearning how to run my saws and tools was a challenge. I know the principles- but its details that I am missing. So thanks.

So summary:

1. Is Viacad right for me to continue architectual work?
2. Is ver 12pro superior to 11pro in this regard?
3. If these are true could I be pointed to architectual tutorials?

Thank you
thanks 1 user thanked jbskaggs for this useful post.
specktech on 6/5/2021(UTC)
bbuxton  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 5, 2021 5:05:23 AM(UTC)
bbuxton

Japan

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 13 post(s)
It is a lot to go through, I hope you fully recovered and that it is all behind you now.

In 2015 I had a medical event that wiped a lot of memory. I had to relearn most of what I do on the computer. It is always a tough process and there is no shortcut. Additionally, ViaCad does not have the most comprehensive learning resources. However, the ebooks for Sharkcad and ViaCad are better than I expected and clear enough to use alongside PunchCad's YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/...Cn8ngbwwwEZBMo1nJXSCndA.

ViaCad and SharkCad are by modern standards unforgiving and may be difficult to (re)learn. I have used SharkCad since it was Concepts Unlimited v1 (2005) and it was still hard to relearn.
It is clear that ViaCad 12 pro is better than 11 pro but both introduced problems over earlier releases.

For CNC it might be worth looking into Fusion 360, which has a vast resource for learning and has third-party plugins for joinery similar to the ones in Sharkcad. Of course, subscriptions are not for everyone but I think the cost performance and what you get is a good alternative.
I find it works very well alongside SharkCad Pro, for my needs.
Junior member since Concepts Unlimited V1 pre-release
thanks 1 user thanked bbuxton for this useful post.
specktech on 6/5/2021(UTC)
specktech  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 5, 2021 9:08:55 AM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I enjoyed reading these post's Thank you jbskaggs and bbuxton. I have been testing and trying so many different kinds of software. I think the easiest most user friendly program is Moi Moment of inspiration. It is a nurbs based program so it works really well with curves. I do have a mini cnc machine and a really high end 3d printer. But I am still learning which software works the best for each procedure.I dream of having Fusion 360 someday. But I have to stick with programs I can own at this point. And even with a few frustrations with ViaCad I am constantly amazed what it can do. If you ever want to see a Master at SharkCad check Walter Riedinger out. First time I watched his youtube channel. I had to get ViaCad. Keep those micro processor's happy and healthy.
thanks 1 user thanked specktech for this useful post.
jbskaggs on 6/6/2021(UTC)
jbskaggs  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 6, 2021 7:12:42 AM(UTC)
jbskaggs

Originally Posted by: bbuxton Go to Quoted Post
It is a lot to go through, I hope you fully recovered and that it is all behind you now.

In 2015 I had a medical event that wiped a lot of memory. I had to relearn most of what I do on the computer. It is always a tough process and there is no shortcut. Additionally, ViaCad does not have the most comprehensive learning resources. However, the ebooks for Sharkcad and ViaCad are better than I expected and clear enough to use alongside PunchCad's YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/...Cn8ngbwwwEZBMo1nJXSCndA.

ViaCad and SharkCad are by modern standards unforgiving and may be difficult to (re)learn. I have used SharkCad since it was Concepts Unlimited v1 (2005) and it was still hard to relearn.
It is clear that ViaCad 12 pro is better than 11 pro but both introduced problems over earlier releases.

For CNC it might be worth looking into Fusion 360, which has a vast resource for learning and has third-party plugins for joinery similar to the ones in Sharkcad. Of course, subscriptions are not for everyone but I think the cost performance and what you get is a good alternative.
I find it works very well alongside SharkCad Pro, for my needs.

I have fusion 360 and I didnt really care for it. I cant even tell you how many cad software systems I own. Viacad is the closest to Sketchup that I have. So I can model fast on Viacad- but when I go and try and use the architectual tools like door and window placements I run into issues. And trying to find info on how to use architectual tools on multistory building has been frustrating. My problem with Sketchup is the model I created is always 3 to 5 steps away from my cnc equipment. Viacad places me two steps away from my machine.

This is two separate problems: Viacad Architectual drawings which I am struggling. Viacad Model to my cnc router and lasers works like a charm.

Also great job that you are continuing on personal learning and growth! Health wise I hope you are in the clear as well!

specktech on 6/10/2021(UTC)
jbskaggs  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 6, 2021 7:21:32 AM(UTC)
jbskaggs

Originally Posted by: specktech Go to Quoted Post
I enjoyed reading these post's Thank you jbskaggs and bbuxton. I have been testing and trying so many different kinds of software. I think the easiest most user friendly program is Moi Moment of inspiration. It is a nurbs based program so it works really well with curves. I do have a mini cnc machine and a really high end 3d printer. But I am still learning which software works the best for each procedure.I dream of having Fusion 360 someday. But I have to stick with programs I can own at this point. And even with a few frustrations with ViaCad I am constantly amazed what it can do. If you ever want to see a Master at SharkCad check Walter Riedinger out. First time I watched his youtube channel. I had to get ViaCad. Keep those micro processor's happy and healthy.

I know what you mean. This weekend I have tested (or restested) Freecad, Nanocad, TurboCad, Librecad, Chief Architect (Which I really like), Ashampoo 3d cad which I also like. None of them though so far equal the total package I have with Viacad for modeling and working with Sketchup files. But the architectual tools side of things is where I am crashing. I mean I could just draw everything myself- but it would seem the arch tools should handle that stuff. I am sure its just me.

But maybe Im asking the wrong question as what I am needing is BIM drawings on the architectual side.
L. Banasky  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 6, 2021 8:49:42 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Glad to hear that you are doing better.
I've also used many CAD programs since the '80's.
Ashlar then Concepts Unlimited. I do mostly machine
drawings, but for serious architecture, I would
suggest Vectorworks.
I used Vectorworks Machine Design, but sadly they
discontinued development on machine design.
Vectorworks works on Mac or PC.and their main
focus is on Architecture.
Larry
thanks 2 users thanked L. Banasky for this useful post.
jbskaggs on 6/6/2021(UTC), specktech on 6/10/2021(UTC)
bbuxton  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 6, 2021 7:16:38 PM(UTC)
bbuxton

Japan

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 13 post(s)
The most affordable (free) BIM application I have used is ACCA usBIM viewer, for more design features, there are a number of options that are budget-friendly.
https://www.accasoftware.../aec-collection-software
Junior member since Concepts Unlimited V1 pre-release
thanks 2 users thanked bbuxton for this useful post.
jbskaggs on 6/6/2021(UTC), specktech on 6/10/2021(UTC)
mitchb  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 6, 2021 11:22:25 PM(UTC)
mitchb

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Quote:
So I can model fast on Viacad- but when I go and try and use the architectual tools like door and window placements I run into issues. And trying to find info on how to use architectual tools on multistory building has been frustrating.

The walls of a second story must be in a different layer than the first floor. What issues are you having with the door and window tools? I have used these tools a bunch and I think I have a good understanding of them. I will try to help.
thanks 1 user thanked mitchb for this useful post.
specktech  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 11:30:20 AM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I can tell I'am following in your footsteps jbskaggs. It's really fun reading the steps you take. I am quite new just about 3 years in. But learning super fast. I'am bound and determined to make this my path into the future. I really enjoy reading about all the other cad programs you have tried. Always stokes me out hearing how ViaCad is still a lot of peoples most efficient program. I too really like the way it operates. Have a great day. P.s. have to post this. This music is really powerful when using your brain. Google: Blackmill----Miracle. Makes my brain go into overdrive. Peace out.
memphisjed  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2021 7:05:47 AM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
viacad is a top drawing/modeling program, as far as cam - other than Catia (add a zero to your budget) every one I have used has mediocre at best drawing abilities. You can use them for quick edits to a model as you find machine path issues. The people with the router will take step (or dxf for 2d) files and generate their own machine programs. Fusion is acads attempt at a decent cad program, and it is meh at best, the cam side is impressive tho.
I have never used the windows/walls/doors features in viacad; I do structural work and just do header beams and lentils. I found when learning (still am) that tracing hand drawings into illustrator was the easiest way to digitize something. I only do that for really curvy stuff now; everyday I forget and find a new feature or method in viacad. There is learning curve after the frustration curve. Glad you are better and getting back to designing.
thanks 1 user thanked memphisjed for this useful post.
specktech on 6/26/2021(UTC)