logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
specktech  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 9:19:18 AM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Hi there, Was wondering if anyone else has been trying to use this wrap text feature? I watched a video Tim made about this feature. And have tested it about 100 times now. I can barely get it to work. I really need this function. That was one of the main reasons I bought the pro version. I have been testing it for a number of hours now. With very little success. Any ideas out there.
GARLIC  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 11:14:21 AM(UTC)
GARLIC

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 47 post(s)
do you mean this video-clip ?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GAk5UzVscs
thanks 1 user thanked GARLIC for this useful post.
specktech on 5/12/2021(UTC)
specktech  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 11:21:10 AM(UTC)
specktech

Yes that is the video. Do you have any tips or ideas?
UGMENTALCASE  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 1:49:22 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
What you trying to wrap? I too had a lot of trouble with it. I've never got a surface to work with it only text. Then you need to be sure that the text doesn't overlap itself or anything once wrapped.
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
specktech on 5/12/2021(UTC)
specktech  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 3:31:25 PM(UTC)
specktech

Thanks for the reply, Reading what you wrote makes sense. I am trying to wrap a font that Acis probably does not like. The font is Digitech. And I might be wrapping it a bit to much. Its not overlapped but I will watch that. I am drawing up this simple ring. And trying to drop my logo. Specktech in the digitech font on the outside. I was getting it to work quite a few times. I even printed one out out of Polycarbonate on my printer. It came out quite well. But I just wanted to increase the depth of the engraving. Then I started having troubles getting it to work. Was trying it so many different ways. different angle's. Different fonts. Not getting any kind of consistent functionality. I can tell its working my Cpu hard trying to figure it out. I was just reading this amazing blog from: Cad n Stuff.com Some really good info. on His pages. Then I saw Zw3d from Zw soft on His page. I loaded it up on trial. And this program is absolutely amazing. I was almost instantly drawing some really cool items. Looks like it only cost's about 3,000 for the pro version. Guess I will just power through with ViaCad. Sure wish ViaCad had a few programmers like Blender. We could get these bugs fixed fast. he he. Made my day trying out that ZW3d program. Got 30 days left. What a sweet program.
specktech  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 4:16:31 PM(UTC)
specktech

Sure always surprises me when you think about a problem for a little while. Then you go back and it starts working again. I went back and shortened my wording. And started dropping text on to a simple rectangle. Works quite well. I will start experimenting with how much of a curve it can handle before it goofs up. Overall I really like Viacad. I am slowly working my way through the tips and tricks tutorials and the user's guides. And all the videos I can find. Bound and determined to dial this software as much as possible. Peace out UGMENTALCASE. Thanks again for the reply.
thanks 1 user thanked specktech for this useful post.
UGMENTALCASE on 5/12/2021(UTC)
specktech  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 5:52:44 PM(UTC)
specktech

Think I might have figured my problem out. I just figured that the text wrap feature would work on the outside of the ring surface. Guess not. Just like in Tim's video if you drop it into the inside of the ring surface it seems to work much better. Now I will have to reverse my text image drop it into the inside and engrave it out. Seems like kind of a strange way of doing it. But bound and determined to figure this operation out. That page that really made my day today is. CAD'n'Stuff.net a blog about Cad and various other technical stuff. Really stoked me out reading His pages. And I was messing around more with that Zw3d 2022 ZW soft program. Seriously amazing. Hit that green arrow to set your choices, if you try it out. Peace out.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:11:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UGMENTALCASE  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 10:49:30 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
I to have looked into zw3d. Not sure what's happening at punch at the moment. No responses from support etc to the numerous issues being reported.
If the text doesn't wrap I've found you can extrude and then do two surface offsets. One forward and one backwards. Trim the extruded text and then subtract it from your main body.
It doesn't like a lot of font types. I've found sometimes changing to font to curves will give you an idea of how it behaves. Sometimes it gives double lines etc especially with jointed up text
It may well be in the programming thats what happens. It converts to curves and extruded to then subtract, and that's why it fals over because once it converts you get the overlaps.
That's my thinking anyway :-)