logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikeschn  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 10:29:32 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hey Guys,

I am trying to add an arc in ViaCad12 Pro, using 2 points and tangent to a line. I can't seem to find anything... I've include a picture that better shows what I am trying to do...

Thanks,

Mike...
mikeschn attached the following image(s):
screenshot000013.png (21kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac
UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 2:39:45 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
You can use the constraints to do it. The snap options don't show up as tangent when you move near them.
If it was the other way round and you had the arc in, you click and hold the mouse button and drag a line off from the arc and it'll show up as tangent
mikeschn  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2021 4:23:17 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

UGMENTALCASE,

Yes I've done it that way, but the sketch needs to be fully constrained. If not the arc moves, and then the lines move and then the angle changes...

After you said the snap options don't show tangent as an option. So I tried playing with the snaps for a while, and you are right. I can't get the tangent option to appear.

So I am still looking for an easier way!

Mike...

Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
You can use the constraints to do it. The snap options don't show up as tangent when you move near them.
If it was the other way round and you had the arc in, you click and hold the mouse button and drag a line off from the arc and it'll show up as tangent

Edited by user Thursday, April 29, 2021 4:31:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

screenshot000002.png (36kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

murray  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 7:47:11 AM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
I found that it works (well, in Shark v10 anyway, nearest convenient PC because IMSI's Shark Pro 12 license now restricts to one installation) using the logicursor's determination of "on" the line to be the tangent point. I verified it by drawing lines from the arc's centre to its ends, obviously they're the radius. I drew a line from the centre to the "vertex" point that the logicursor determines as the intersection/tangent of line and circle, scaled it larger so that it overshoots centre and tangent, trimmed it back using one of the radial lines and the tangent line, then verified by comparing that it's the same radius length. I'll post a graphic if you need it?
mikeschn  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 8:02:03 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
I found that it works (well, in Shark v10 anyway, nearest convenient PC because IMSI's Shark Pro 12 license now restricts to one installation) using the logicursor's determination of "on" the line to be the tangent point. I verified it by drawing lines from the arc's centre to its ends, obviously they're the radius. I drew a line from the centre to the "vertex" point that the logicursor determines as the intersection/tangent of line and circle, scaled it larger so that it overshoots centre and tangent, trimmed it back using one of the radial lines and the tangent line, then verified by comparing that it's the same radius length. I'll post a graphic if you need it?

I've found that "on the line" is not necessarily tangent. For example, look at these pics...

Mike...

screenshot000003.png (22kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
screenshot000004.png (25kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

murray  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2021 9:40:41 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
You must be right, but I can't think why it works when it does - which it does some of the time. It must have something to do with the proximity detection for 'on the curve'. Do I remember you having an affection for retro caravans/trailers Mike?
mikeschn  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2021 1:57:05 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Still looking for an easy way to draw that arc tangent to that line. Anyone else have any ideas? Todd maybe?

Mike...
UGMENTALCASE  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2021 2:05:24 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Tried it in v10 and it doesn't label tangent either. There's the click and hold option. So looking at what you have you would maybe need to put a point in where you would terminate the line.

A little vid attached shows it
File Attachment(s):
2021-05-02_21-32-25-595.mp4 (1,568kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
GARLIC on 5/3/2021(UTC)
MPSchmied  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 3, 2021 2:55:20 PM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
This is why i love ViaSharkCAD very much. Use just the Three Points Arc and press the Ctrl-Button while drawing this arc. Read the Hints. Tim Olson made a very good Video about the tangential-functions, but just with circles and not with the three point arc http://www.csi-concepts....s/tangentTwoCircles.mp4. There are alot of easter eggs to find out for you all. All users going in the wrong direction :). I have no idea how this in other CAD Software works, in this Software is it very easy to use.

Edited by user Monday, May 3, 2021 3:15:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MPSchmied attached the following image(s):
Zwischenablage01.png (100kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
thanks 1 user thanked MPSchmied for this useful post.
GARLIC on 5/4/2021(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 4, 2021 1:59:31 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Yea it depends which way round you do it all. The tangent shows up as a second point of a line. So click and drag, approach the arc and you'll get a tangent pop up.
MPSchmied  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 4, 2021 10:03:50 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Yea it depends which way round you do it all. The tangent shows up as a second point of a line. So click and drag, approach the arc and you'll get a tangent pop up.

No, the lines are not changeable and the arc have to be tangential on a line and the end points should be at the other line. Use the three points arc and make the first point at a left line endpoint, the second point at the right line while pressing Ctrl and the third point at the left line opposite endpoint and the arc will be automatically tangential to the right line. I made a Video. The drag tangential Single line feature is needed for other things, this is also very nice.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 4, 2021 10:35:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
UGMENTALCASE  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 4, 2021 12:03:59 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Ah see what you mean, sorry I have been using the set up of the op. But I don't see a reason why you can't do it your way yeah. Just thought they wanted to define the end points first
1murray  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 4, 2021 6:38:14 PM(UTC)
1murray

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Nice catch MPS, nice work Tim & co.
mikeschn  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2021 3:26:28 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Originally Posted by: MPSchmied Go to Quoted Post

Nice find MPSchmied!!! I've never even tried the 3 Point Arc. I thought it was the same as Start, End, On Arc.

So it does indeed make an arc tangent to a line! What a time saver this will be over fully constraining any sketch that need a tangent arc!

Mike...

HarryMorris  
#15 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2021 12:31:55 AM(UTC)
HarryMorris

Nice catch MPS, nice work Tim & co.

——————————————————————————
kurtka jeansowa damska