logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lightbulbjim  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 12:43:50 AM(UTC)
lightbulbjim

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I've encountered a bit of a showstopper problem. Am I best off reporting it via Encore support or here?

SharkCAD v12 build 1559, macOS 10.15.7, with a 3DConnexion SpaceMouse.

Orthographic view works fine:

UserPostedImage

Switching to perspective view is fine until I move the SpaceMouse. Then random objects start disappearing and reappearing at random. Here is the view after doing nothing but switching to perspective and bumping the SpaceMouse slightly:

UserPostedImage

I can restore all of the objects to view by either selecting Redraw Screen, toggling a layer on/off (any layer seems to work) or panning/zooming with the normal mouse.

UserPostedImage

This seems to be an intermittent problem, as it was working fine just yesterday. But right now for some reason I cannot use my SpaceMouse with perspective view...

Edited by user Thursday, October 15, 2020 12:45:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed image URL

lightbulbjim  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 1:31:50 AM(UTC)
lightbulbjim

...and it's back to working properly.

FWIW restarting Shark did not fix it. The fix was to edit the properties of my default (and only) view and change the focal length from 400 to some other value (I chose 380 but I'm not sure it matters). Hit ok and perspective was working again.

The focal length value didn't stick - when I reopened the view properties it had reset to 400 (it always does that, maybe I'm holding it wrong?). But it fixed the disappearing objects issue.
lightbulbjim  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2020 12:41:38 AM(UTC)
lightbulbjim

Check out this perspective. I just zoomed out and it decided to do this:

UserPostedImage
Nick R  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2020 4:05:06 AM(UTC)
Nick R

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You'll find that suing perspective with Shark/Viacad is a problem and has been for a long time. Rhino is much better in this respect.
It will be better if you just have have curve/line rather than Gourod or Phong shading. You might get a better result changing the Focal length to something much bigger. Of course then you won't get the Perspective appearance you want.

Nick
lightbulbjim  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2020 4:26:50 PM(UTC)
lightbulbjim

Originally Posted by: Nick R Go to Quoted Post
You'll find that suing perspective with Shark/Viacad is a problem and has been for a long time. Rhino is much better in this respect.
It will be better if you just have have curve/line rather than Gourod or Phong shading. You might get a better result changing the Focal length to something much bigger. Of course then you won't get the Perspective appearance you want.

Nick

Such a shame. It really is quick and pleasant to model with, there are just a few weird issues like this that can ruin your day sometimes.