logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lightbulbjim  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 3:00:24 AM(UTC)
lightbulbjim

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Does anybody know if there's a way to improve model display beyond what I'm seeing? I'm running SharkCAD v12 build 1559 on macOS 10.15.7. Intel graphics with a retina display. I've also tested on an external monitor (4K) with similar results.

Here is a set of shelves. With anti-aliasing off the edges look pretty bad, as expected:

UserPostedImage

Switching anti-aliasing on cleans up the edges, except where objects overlap. Something is a bit broken there:

UserPostedImage

Sometimes I get weird clipping effects (half of the model disappearing) when orbiting the model. Switching off "clip at eye point" fixes it but results in super ugly joints (and anywhere else where faces/surfaces touch in the same plane). To be honest I'm not sure what that setting is supposed to do:

UserPostedImage

Am I missing anything obvious? I've played with every setting under shade options but nothing makes much difference. The example I showed is simple but on a more complex model it can quickly become ugly and hard to see what's going on.

As a comparison point both FreeCAD and Fusion 360 display the same model beautifully (with much better performance as well, ie smoother orbit view):

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked lightbulbjim for this useful post.
jlm on 10/15/2020(UTC)
lightbulbjim  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 2:36:06 AM(UTC)
lightbulbjim

By the way, this is the weird clipping effect I sometimes see with "clip at eye point" enabled. It only happens intermittently.

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked lightbulbjim for this useful post.
jlm on 10/15/2020(UTC)
jlm  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 2:51:26 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lightbulbjim Go to Quoted Post
Does anybody know if there's a way to improve model display beyond what I'm seeing? I'm running SharkCAD v12 build 1559 on macOS 10.15.7. Intel graphics with a retina display. I've also tested on an external monitor (4K) with similar results.

UserPostedImage

I'm running similar configuration and seing the same thing.
Thanks for your clear post.
I hope it will be improved because I use a lot of screen grab pictures....

JLM
lightbulbjim  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 4:13:26 PM(UTC)
lightbulbjim

Originally Posted by: jlm Go to Quoted Post
I'm running similar configuration and seing the same thing.
Thanks for your clear post.
I hope it will be improved because I use a lot of screen grab pictures....

JLM

Nice to know I'm not alone. I've wondered if my situation would be improved with a decent graphics card. Problem is that I'm running a laptop, so the only way to test would be with an eGPU. The enclosures are quite expensive...

FWIW the render view works nicely for me, so that might work for you to grab screenshots. It adds a bit of friction to the workflow though.