logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perry  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2020 1:07:10 PM(UTC)
perry

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Attached is a screen shot of part of a model. This is looking at it from the right side, and the angled piece you see is actually a large plate attached to a chassis (hidden). I need to work off of that plate, but because it's at an angle, everything is much more complicated. For example: I need to build a part that's attached to the back side of this and sticks out 19 inches. It's basically a box made up of individual plates that are bolted together. If the angled part was in line with the Z axis, it would be easier to build the whole thing. but because it's at a 22 degree angle from Z, the box coming off of it and all the parts attached to it are also 22 degrees tilted from Z.

So there must be a way to orient this such that I can treat what I build off of the part as if the long edge is the Z axis, even though it's at an angle to Z in the overall model?

Does that make sense?

Edited by user Tuesday, August 25, 2020 1:12:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perry attached the following image(s):
Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 2.54.03 PM.png (33kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
murray  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2020 3:38:10 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Put your cursor close to a corner of the plate and toggle the C key. The workplane arrow will toggle through the alignments with the edges of the plate. Stop at the option that's the orientation you want to work with. You can also right click, choose the option to set workplane by 3 points off the appropriate features; edges, vertices etc. You don't have to work off the plate, you can build your addition elsewhere and align it with the plate afterwards.
MPSchmied  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2020 2:56:07 PM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
You can use the magnet tool for fast align other objects and you can create a workplane much easier with WorkPlane> Select Objects> Select Surface of a solid> Select the origin-point (a snap point of the SurFace). Create a Keyboard Shortcut: Planes> Select Objects make the use easier.

I miss the option to import profiles directly to a workplane. This is not possible, therefore i need anyway most time the magnet tool. Do not forget to remove links before using the magnet tool and remove links after using the translate or mirror or rotate.
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm