logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
uffdaken  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 23, 2020 11:49:43 PM(UTC)
uffdaken

United States

Hi there, I upgraded from SharkCAD v10 to SharkCAD v12. I noticed that v10 (Build 1335) had Match Surface, Pressure Deform and Tangent Cover Surface tools and v12 (Build 1536) doesn't. But later I did find the Tangent Cover Surface tool listed under Draw/Surface to Surface menu. You would think that these tools would carry over from one version to the next. I find this build (1536) a little confusing. Supposedly v12 can't load the MCAD files, but I have been able to load Solid Works, Parasolid, Inventor and others. Some literature states "limited" or none for MCAD files. But the Import doesn't list any of these. The Splash screen is just SharkCad v12. But under Windows 10 installed programs, it lists SharkCad v12 Pro. But there are tools missing. Such as Rib, Deform and animation. Strange. But I do like the load times and rendering times compared to my TurboCAD 2020 Platinum. TC 2020 has improved in loading compared to TC 2019 and earlier versions. My interest in CAD programs is in aircraft sheet metal layout pattern and maybe 3D design of aircraft repair sections. From what I have read lately is that ViaCAD
/ SharkCad may have been design with some thought towards the aircraft / aerospace field. Almost forgot, under Preferences / General / View Definitions: what is the difference between Default and Aerospace view. Never heard of a Aerospace View setting.

Edited by user Saturday, May 23, 2020 11:54:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2020 12:39:01 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 204 post(s)
I asked about the view thing. I think the answer was something to do with the z direction. Some use Y axis as up.
A lot of things have moved/changed jumped about from one version to the next.
L. Banasky  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2020 5:23:25 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 99 post(s)
For aircraft work you might be interested in this add-on.
https://www.darcorp.com/...-ap-aeronautic-software/
Larry
uffdaken  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2020 6:02:48 AM(UTC)
uffdaken

United States

Hi Larry, I have been to the website before, but I am no Engineer, this is just a hobby. I wouldn't even understand what I was doing. Just learning SharkCAD v12 and TurboCAD 2020 Plat. is enough for me. My time in the Navy working in the aircraft structure shop was just old fashion metal-smith work. Which I loved.
murray  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2020 8:23:07 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
V12 doesn't have V10's flexible licensing either, installable on multiple PCs so long as only one instance is active at once. It's now like TC (also used to be flexible), one install, backup copy to install if it's destroyed. V12 and TC 2020 will be my last upgrades unless IMSI/Design/Encore wind that restriction back, or have the option at a cost that isn't punitive, or they do a dongle for portability like IronCAD or similar. I'm a sole trader, not looking for additional seats any more than I have for the past 25 years with TC or 13 years with Shark, only convenience because I'm a PC enthusiast as well as a CAD enthusiast, and convenience is contextual. Our loyalty and goodwill ought to be worth that, in the absence of demonstrable evidence that actual customers are scamming them in any numbers, which is what the new licensing insinuates.