logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ctkjose  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2020 4:20:13 PM(UTC)
ctkjose

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I just updated to ViaCAD Pro V12 from V10.

I have snaps enabled, Tool Cursors enabled.

Snaps and LogiCursor is not working or shown when drawing.

drawing does not show the traditional snaps UI/overlay on the drawing ( i mean the dashed lines and the snap text mid point/etc), no visible feedback of the snaps. I went to preferences and changed the color to see if I could force them back. didnt work.

It doesnt look like any of my V10 preferences were imported to V12 anyway.

Also Im not getting the usual line/rectangle feedback as you drag to draw a line, rectangle etc. There is no visual feedback of you drawing its all invisible. You click a point not snap feedback, you drag the mouse to draw and you see no feedback of the shape/polygon/curve as you drag.

Is there a setting that I have to change or set? I dont see anything in preferences!

My V12 is build 1536, running on MacOS Catalina 10.15.3.

Edited by user Saturday, April 18, 2020 4:41:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked ctkjose for this useful post.
specktech on 3/9/2023(UTC)
ctkjose  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2020 7:25:37 PM(UTC)
ctkjose

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I was able to fix it by physically deleting the preferences in Application Support.

In the terminal I did a:

rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.encore.viacad12esd

thanks 1 user thanked ctkjose for this useful post.
ultrahawkeye  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2023 2:28:53 PM(UTC)
ultrahawkeye

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I Just moved to a new computer and reinstalled v12 build 1591. None of my snaps are working and it's quite frustrating. I've enabled all snaps and disabled all snaps and nothing seems to change.

I followed the advice of ctkjose but to no avail.

Any wisdom out there?

Kevin
thanks 1 user thanked ultrahawkeye for this useful post.
L. Banasky  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2023 3:35:26 PM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 99 post(s)
I can only think of two places to check.
Hit Apply and then OK.

Edited by user Friday, February 3, 2023 3:38:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

L. Banasky attached the following image(s):
Check Apply AND then OK.jpg (124kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
Snaps Enable.jpg (179kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked L. Banasky for this useful post.
creativecad  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2023 7:29:47 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Sometimes the workplane snap tricks me. If the workplane snap is on, your snaps will all jump to the workplane. If you are not working on the workplane, make sure your workplane snap is off.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
thanks 1 user thanked creativecad for this useful post.
creativecad  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2023 8:01:39 AM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 40 post(s)
One other thought is to check your select mask window. I don't believe you can snap to items if they are not selected in select mask.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
thanks 1 user thanked creativecad for this useful post.
MathIndy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 3:45:14 PM(UTC)
MathIndy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I had an object that I couldn't snap to. It's outline would also not highlight red when the object was selected but I know it was selected because I could see the "Part_1260241" ID on the toolbar and also as an entity in the concept explorer. It was particularly weird because parts on other layers were selecting properly and snaps were working properly on those other parts but not on this one part for some reason. I don't know what caused this but the fix I found was to translate (move) the troubled part +1.0" in the x-direction and then translate it back -1.0" in the x-direction. After this, the part's correct highlighting and snapping behavior was restored.
thanks 1 user thanked MathIndy for this useful post.
specktech  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 12:12:27 PM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I have also found this quite frustrating. But with lots of experimenting and reading. Decrease your snap target radius. I mostly model in millimeters. Default its like twelve. I also model quite small items, So bring that snap target down to 2mm. You can test this by using the grid. Hope it helps.

"Some more thoughts" Really need to add this tip. If you do decrease your snap radius setting down to like 2mm you will have the hardest time getting the hand signal to appear when you go to the gripper to pull a dimension. You have to increase the hit radius to be able to get the hand to appear. Then you have to decrease the hit radius to snap to very small parts of the model.

Question? When I use the transform tool, I pin point exactly where my start vertex is and the end vertex. It drops the parts exactly where I want them. But here is the question? If I go to the gripper and even pull it down a small amount. As soon as I release the left button. It jumps over like 5mm to left or right. Wonder if its trying to snap to the grid. I don't even have the grid on. Weird functionality. I was thinking it was a bug. But maybe I need to test it with the grid snaps off. I don't think it should jump over like that. Tried it like 50 times today till I determined something is wrong. I was aligning the fluted lid with the container. So I could boolean subtract the container from the lid. Moving the parts around using transform, I get it perfectly aligned. Then pulling the gripper it jumps to one side or the other. It seems like once you use the transform tool You need to continue using it to position items. I did complete the model but lots of work to get it dialed.

I have spent so many hours now using ViaCAD. And the most basic function of this program. The snaps and alignment needs help.
I will say with no hesitation. Moi3d works a thousand times better than ViaCAD when it comes to snaps, construction lines, working with the grid, alignment, Super basic functions. I really admire ViaCad. So I dream that maybe they could step back and fix the most basic functions. Or include some kind of information bar that would clue us in as to what is wrong. Rhino does this.

Also just drives me crazy when it crashes and I have to sit and wait to see if it can possibly find its way back. Out of multiple cad programs not one of them locks up like ViaCAD. Even using Rhino, Blender, Moi3d, Turbocad, and a number of other programs. ViaCAD crashes more often and takes way longer to recover from the crash.

Today I was doing a lot of work modeling in ViaCAD. And was encountering a lot of strange functionality. I wonder if its because most of my projects are using small dimensions. I have my decimal places to 3 digits and have tried 5 decimal places. I use wireframe all the time. I use snap points. I turn off the grid so it snaps more precise. I will say this is frustrating. I jump over to Moi3d and just cruise. But so many functions in ViaCAD are absolutely amazing, especially the fillets. So I just keep at it.

Edited by user Thursday, March 9, 2023 10:31:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: corrections

specktech  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 10:05:13 PM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Here is a few images of what I was working on. Overall I got it dialed, But just was having a hard time aligning the lid exactly where I wanted it so I could boolean subtract the container from the lid. I always use the point tool to pinpoint the centers, Then I create a construction line through these pin points. Then I use the transform tool. It drops it exactly where I want it. But one move of the gripper. It jumps over like 10 mm. Super Frustrating. But if I just continue to position with the transform tool it works fine. That seems like a bug. Any whoo its all ViaCAD diaries. he haw. In these images its not showing my center point construction lines, that go straight through the centers of the lid and container. Peace out.

Edited by user Thursday, March 9, 2023 10:13:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

specktech attached the following image(s):
3-9-2023 PNG of fluted container A1.PNG (234kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
3-9-2023 PNG of fluted container A2.PNG (15kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
3-9-2023 PNG of fluted container A3.PNG (274kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
3-9-2023 PNG of fluted container A4.PNG (325kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.