logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WORP3  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 3:54:04 AM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi,

For some unknown reason a ordering portal cant handle normal holes made in ViaCad Pro. But if the parts has been rebuild inside solidworks it can handle it just fine. Looking at the difference between my original viacad part and the solidworks output I only find out that the holes are build-up out of two faces instead of one. Does any of you know a way to make such a two faces hole inside ViaCad pro as I don't want to use solidworks as a repair tool during ordering.

See picture to get a better idea about the difference I noticed between the original Viacad hole and the rebuild solidworks hole.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 12, 2020 3:55:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WORP3 attached the following image(s):
SplittingFaces.JPG (15kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
horst.w  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 9:28:03 AM(UTC)
horst.w

Germany

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Try out to build the hole by subtraction a body (e.g. cylinder) from the main model.

Also you can test your construction on Trinckle.com. The preview there will show the hole, I never had problems with them.

horst.w
GER
ViaCAD 9 Pro german + ViaCAD 10 Pro & PowerPack + ViaCAD 11, Win7Prof 64 Bit upgraded to Win 10 64 Bit
thanks 1 user thanked horst.w for this useful post.
WORP3 on 2/13/2020(UTC)
murray  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 6:13:33 AM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
What format do you use for exchange? STEP?
WORP3  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:48:38 AM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
What format do you use for exchange? STEP?

Yes indeed, I used the step export. Also it seems that the hole wasn't the problem. It seems that a bend that's in my design has been exported with a lot of addition coordinates inside the radius. There should be only three lines in that radius (two on both ends and one in the middle) but when exported using ViaCad there are a lot more lines inside the radius, see pictures below:

RadiusInViacad.JPG (25kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
RadiusInPortal.JPG (17kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

WORP3  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:50:25 AM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: horst.w Go to Quoted Post
Try out to build the hole by subtraction a body (e.g. cylinder) from the main model.

Also you can test your construction on Trinckle.com. The preview there will show the hole, I never had problems with them.

horst.w
GER

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it seems that the holes are not the problem, see reply below.

GARLIC  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 9:52:06 AM(UTC)
GARLIC

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 47 post(s)
It would be interesting to know the version nos of the acis / parasolid kernels being involved in ViaCAD /Solidworks ?
WORP3  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 1:37:05 PM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: GARLIC Go to Quoted Post
It would be interesting to know the version nos of the acis / parasolid kernels being involved in ViaCAD /Solidworks ?

Yes sorry forgot to mention that, I'm using ViaCad pro version 10.0.4 build 1354

GARLIC  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 2:50:21 AM(UTC)
GARLIC

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Sorry, I didn't make it quite clear: as far as I know ViaCad is using the Acis kernel
whereas Solidworks makes use of the Parasolid kernel. In other words the math behind the 2 cad programs
is different and problems may occur to "understand eachother" or to interpret surfaces and solids.

Edited by user Friday, February 14, 2020 3:20:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked GARLIC for this useful post.
WORP3 on 2/14/2020(UTC)
WORP3  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 5:15:06 AM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: GARLIC Go to Quoted Post
Sorry, I didn't make it quite clear: as far as I know ViaCad is using the Acis kernel
whereas Solidworks makes use of the Parasolid kernel. In other words the math behind the 2 cad programs
is different and problems may occur to "understand eachother" or to interpret surfaces and solids.

I understand what you saying but as the additional lines inside the radius is only visible after the stp export, I guess it has something to do with the export. Unfortunately it's not possible to configure anything during the stp export.
murray  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 5:17:38 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Did you make that as a bend or a fillet? It may be the manner of creation that makes a difference. Try different resolutions too, although that shouldn't make any difference either.

Edited by user Friday, February 14, 2020 7:05:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WORP3  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 5:23:19 AM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

Did you make that as a bend or a fillet? It may be the manner of creation that makes a difference. Try different resolutions too, although that shouldn't make any difference either.

I've made it as two fillets with the correct radius. I could try the bend feature I see if the outcome is any different. I will also try to import the solidworks converted stp file and export it again in viacad, just to see if that file is correct or not.

WORP3  
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 6:35:04 AM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

I first imported the corrected file back into ViaCad Pro and then exported it to a step file. After checking it seems that it actually exported it correctly, see picture. This is hopeful as it seems not related to the export itself.
Solid_in_Via_out.JPG (17kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

WORP3  
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 6:37:57 AM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

Next I tried the bend feature inside ViaCad Pro and exported that as a stp file, see picture. It seems that the bend feature does something different then the fillet feature although it looks the same inside viacad, when exported it's different.
But this looks promising, maybe when using the bend feature I finally can order parts from viacad directly.

Edited by user Saturday, February 15, 2020 6:39:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RadiusBendFeature.JPG (17kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

murray  
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 4:58:02 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Another approach might be to model it as a surface and thicken. Does the complementary inside face have the same lines?
WORP3  
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 8:30:03 AM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

Another approach might be to model it as a surface and thicken. Does the complementary inside face have the same lines?

Yes the inside is the same as the outside. It should be nice if it was somehow visible inside ViaCad that the radius is different and will produce a different result after a step export.
I can try to build it with a thicken surface, maybe I can try a different approach too.