logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
friolator  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:27:09 PM(UTC)
friolator

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So, I'm following the tutorial here and I am following the steps exactly. I have my text offset from the surface, I have it projected onto the surface and all surfaces behind it, looks just like the the tutorial video. However, when I get to the point where I try to select the projected text using the Deep Select tool, it doesn't work. It selects nothing. I'm talking about the part at 1:05 where the letter "h" is selected in the video - each letter is individually selectable. I can't do that, nor can I select the whole word. I can select the solid it's projected onto, but I don't even get the option of selecting just the text with the deep select tool.

Is there another way to set up some text to be engraved from a surface? I've spent 2 hours banging my head against this and I have no idea what's going on.

Thanks!
UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:29:56 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Lucky you. I can't even get it to project. Probably something else that's broken. I can only get it to work if I change the text to curves.

Anyway what I've done in the past is extruded the text. offset the surface you want it imprinted on. and split the extruded text with off set surface.
friolator  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:57:04 AM(UTC)
friolator

Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
Lucky you. I can't even get it to project. Probably something else that's broken. I can only get it to work if I change the text to curves.

Anyway what I've done in the past is extruded the text. offset the surface you want it imprinted on. and split the extruded text with off set surface.

Ok, so I'm not crazy - even just selecting the text with the projection tool is totally hit or miss. Sometimes I can click on it, sometimes I need to drag a box around part of it, but it's flaky. Then the actual projection took some time to figure out, because you have to hold the option key down when drawing the two points to indicate the direction of projection. because you can't see that in the video, I kept thinking something was totally broken.

I figured I'd just have to extrude the text and then subtract it from the face, which is fine, I was just hoping for a way that might let me edit the text. I have to make about a dozen pieces, all slightly different, and it'd be nice if I could place the text on the template I'm making, then just edit it along with the other changes specific to that part. I guess I just have to do each one manually.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:57:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

friolator  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2019 10:05:17 AM(UTC)
friolator

So I tried just putting text on the face I want it on, then extruding that and extracting it from the face. Works fine, except for closed letters. See the attachment. What's weird is that the hole inside the "p" is displaying as a hole all the way through the part, which is nearly 1" thick. The text is only set to be 1mm deep. If I look at the back of the part, there is no hole. Is this just a display bug or is there a different way I need to do this?

friolator attached the following image(s):
Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 11.01.58 AM.png (40kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
UGMENTALCASE  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2019 10:55:55 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
That is a little odd. What's it like if you did an intersect solid text and the main body, do you get the same results?
MaiFy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:44:37 PM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Yes, I had the same issues a while ago.
I was just messing around so it wasn't a problem.
I think its something to do with the various formulas behind particular fonts, (Thats me just speculating) because some fonts work better than others.