logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
friolator  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:10:23 AM(UTC)
friolator

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I need to generate some 2D drawings from my models. Each layer contains a completed part consisting of several separate pieces. Each part is named in the Inspector/Attributes tab.

What I'd like to do is generate 2D drawings with Model to Sheet and have it automatically pick up the part name as the description in the generated 2D drawing. I'm already exporting out each layer of the master ViaCAD file to its own file, so I can change the file properties to get the project name inserted in the sheet view. But I can't figure out how to have it automatically pick up the individual part names to insert those.

And while I'm at it - Is there a way to change all of the views in the sheet to automatically display the view name (top/bottom/left/right, etc)? With 4 views on each sheet and probably 50 sheets, editing these one at a time is a bit of a pain. I can't find a way to alter or create a template that I can use.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:10:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked friolator for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 11/14/2019(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 3:00:19 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 204 post(s)
You would need to find the templates folder and open the templates. You can then edit each of the 4 views by right clicking them and editing what you need.
Next time you do model to sheet and drop down the list and select the ones you've edited.

I've made my own and put them in the templates folder.
friolator  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2019 2:24:20 PM(UTC)
friolator

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
You would need to find the templates folder and open the templates. You can then edit each of the 4 views by right clicking them and editing what you need.
Next time you do model to sheet and drop down the list and select the ones you've edited.

Thanks. Took some finding but I managed to change it so the view name shows. Any way to pull in the layer name though? Is there a list somewhere of the available variable names (it seems <project> and <description> are variables, so I'm hoping there are more. I tried "<layer>" but it had no effect.

UGMENTALCASE  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2019 2:53:08 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

You can use 'layer view' in model to sheet whereby the view is based on whatever layer you select. I'm not sure, I will check later, whether this brings in the layer name instead.
UGMENTALCASE  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2019 3:27:43 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

No it doesn't work!. It gets the draw name from the view type. So you could make your own views, named as you need them. Then go into the properties of the view and 'change view' and select the new view name and it displays like the attached image.
UGMENTALCASE attached the following image(s):
Untitled 1.jpg (51kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
UGMENTALCASE  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2019 3:32:39 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: friolator Go to Quoted Post

Thanks. Took some finding but I managed to change it so the view name shows. Any way to pull in the layer name though? Is there a list somewhere of the available variable names (it seems <project> and <description> are variables, so I'm hoping there are more. I tried "<layer>" but it had no effect.

where do you find the project and description things to change?
perry  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2019 4:02:43 PM(UTC)
perry

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)

where do you find the project and description things to change?

Friolator here. Had to sign up with a new account because my password couldn't be reset from home for some reason. In any case, in the template, the Project shows up as "<Project>", etc. I'm assuming there are probably a bunch of other tokens that could be replaced with actual values, but no idea what they might be. Seems like it'd be useful. I'm going to open a ticket with tech support to find out, and will post back here if I find anything.

The one that I really want is Part name - that way when a layer is broken up into parts, each page can show the part name.

Edited by user Sunday, November 17, 2019 4:03:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UGMENTALCASE  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2019 4:18:58 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

You can do that with the BOM tool. Might take a little bit of fiddling but you can get it to pick up the part name and it gives you a BOM. You can then put that info into a view on the page