logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joev  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 10:00:00 AM(UTC)
joev

In ViaCAD Pro v6, it looks like I can't trim a solid with a line unless the line is in contact with the solid. In v5 I could trim from whatever view I was in.

Bug or "new feature"?
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 10:15:32 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Interesting. In VC6 2d/3d I a surface on a 35' by 52' size, made it steel, and added an oval polygon on the surface. Then, i created 5 surfaces separated by 3 meters, then thickened them then (by force) exploded the polygon to curves in order to extrude the curves as a surface to (and then beyond) the opposite plate. (This extrusion is just practice making a ladder trunk). I then gave each deck plate a different color.

On the upper plate i was able to split the solid plate using the oval shaft, and then i was able to filter select the surface and solid oval pieces and move them aside and then select the shaft to get translucency in order to sight different color below the opening. But, i could NOT successfully repeat the same thing whatever tools i tried.

I then saved the file and opened a copy of it in VCP 6, assuming i could use the surface-to-surface trim tool. I think i failed, so i decided to duplicate the surfaces by rebuilding the model alongside the original. Then, instead of a surface extrusion of curves, i extruded a solid. It would be nice if a solid or surface cutting a hole through an object could be used to simultaneously cut multiple objects. I have to try to see if i can "chain select" or control/shift-select multiple to-be-cut surfaces and solids and specify a single object that removes material. It would be QUITE a timesaver if, say, 5 or 10 or 15 things to be cut/penetrated could be selected together rather than one at a time.

But since i ran out of time, i had to stop. I'll get back to it later.

BTW, a "lasing" or boring tool could be "BLAM" -- Bore/Lase Area/Material... build a cutter/beam of length x, diameter y, and have quick/instant material removals. (I REALLY need to 'become one' with the user manual, aye? )
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 10:20:34 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

For purposes of making large steel structures it would be really kewl if i could make my swept surfaces into solids, then just create planes or surfaces of steel of some thickness, then align them and click the pieces of interest and say "remove overlapping material and add welds (of a given size/radius) on side a, side b, or both sides or all sides created and weldable connections/joints".

That would be a major timesaver. Or, if i look harder, i might find there is a way to just select the curves/edges of two intersecting solids and add weld bead and add material to get the thickness.
Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 11:00:38 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: joev Go to Quoted Post
In ViaCAD Pro v6, it looks like I can't trim a solid with a line unless the line is in contact with the solid. In v5 I could trim from whatever view I was in.

Bug or "new feature"?

Trimming Ok here. which build do you have?

- Steve
joev  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 11:08:09 AM(UTC)
joev

Build 831. I'll check for a newer one.
Steve.M  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 11:13:19 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi joev,

I am using 831 and no problem with the trim that I have seen. can you post the file where you cannot trim?

- steve
joev  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 11:14:06 AM(UTC)
joev

It is the latest build.

I also can't select and move a primitive sphere. I can area select it but no edges are available to click and move it.

ATI Radeon HD 4870
Mac Pro Quad Core 8 gigs RAM
Steve.M  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 11:18:23 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

You are on a MAC, sorry I can not check that. It is OK on the PC.

Someone else on a MAC will need to check.

- Steve
ZeroLengthCurve  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 12:37:48 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Steve,

Not sure if the issue on my PC applies to Macs, but on occasion, i have to hit the Ctrl key to take the cursor out of dynamic zoom. When the need arises, my clues are that i cannot select ANYthing as in objects, even if i mess around with the filters. Unfortunately, it is appearing in my case in VCP v6 (trial mode is what i am in). I am starting to wonder if *iii* am subconsciously hitting some combo of keys that invokes the dynamic zoom mode. It just seems random, and i used to think it depended on what tools i hit, or what mouse actions i just did.
Steve.M  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 2:55:56 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
.....but on occasion, i have to hit the Ctrl key to take the cursor out of dynamic zoom.

Yes, the same here every now and again.

- Steve
joev  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 4:45:37 PM(UTC)
joev

I have the same problem on my Mac G5. Can't trim in projection and can't select and move a primitive sphere. Time to go back to v5 :(
joev  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 4:47:17 PM(UTC)
joev

For what it's worth, when I try to trim with a line in projection, I get this error message: inconsistent face-body relationships: Trim Solid_56
NickB  
#13 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2009 10:00:16 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
For what it's worth, when I try to trim with a line in projection, I get this error message: inconsistent face-body relationships: Trim Solid_56

Usually the cure for that is to move the line or curve that you are using to trim with closer to the object that you want to trim, or have it actually intersect. However sometimes there really is a problem with inconsistant face body relationships and you need to extend the line beyond the boundary of the solid.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
joev  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:00:40 PM(UTC)
joev

Yes, in v6 if the trim line touches or intersects the solid, it works. But in v5, I didn't have to do that. So if it works in the older version, then I take it that it's a bug in version 6?
Tim Olson  
#15 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:05:28 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Yes, in v6 if the trim line touches or intersects the solid, it works. But in v5, I didn't have to do that. So if it works in the older version, then I take it that it's a bug in version 6?

Joe if you can send me the file saved before you execute the command (so the view orientation/scale etc is same) I can look at.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
joev  
#16 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:37:30 PM(UTC)
joev

OK, this is now strange. The trim with line is working as expected. The only thing different between yesterday and today it that I restarted the computer.