logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JWeb  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 11:04:58 AM(UTC)
JWeb

I have a 3D model of a simple chute. I want to produce a sheet view that I can give to a metal shop to have the parts sheared. The 3D model of the chute is comprised of a "side" (only one shown but there will be two identical parts sheared), a "bottom", and a "gusset" (again, one shown in the model, two to be sheared).

I know how to use model-to-sheet to create a sheet of the entire chute assembly... top, side, bottom, trimetric, etc. I also know I can create a different sheet for each part... which will have top, side, bottom, etc. views for each part.

But, how can I easily create a single sheet of only the top views for the three parts in my model (side, bottom, gusset)? There must be a way...

I've attached the 3D model to make discussion easier. The layer I care about is "Chute". The "Feeder" layer is what the chute will be welded to. I'm not shearing parts to make the "Feeder".

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
File Attachment(s):
Eriez Feeder Chute (24 NOV 10).sfx (142kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
NickB  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 12:41:41 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Do the model to sheet in the normal way, and then delete the views that you don't want.
NickB attached the following image(s):
delete.png (23kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
JWeb  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 1:30:06 PM(UTC)
JWeb

That doesn't accomplish what I'm after. The normal model-to-sheet give TOP, FRONT, SIDE, and ISO. I could delete FRONT, SIDE, and ISO to be left with only one TOP view... but that would be the TOP view of only the one part that I created the sheet from.

I want three different TOP views of three different parts on one sheet.
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 1:55:56 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi Jeff

Create single draw view use tool button for it
Select 3d part copy
Click draw view to activate
Paste into draw view
Right click on top left corner if draw view to get menu
Change view to what you want

Regards
Jason
Windows 11, 10
JWeb  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 2:18:14 PM(UTC)
JWeb

Jason, THANK YOU. That worked perfectly. I had initially tried cut/paste, but I was attempting to paste into the draw views imported with the A-LANDSCAPE.SRK sheet. It seems you have to delete the default views and create single views manually from the tool bar as you suggested. From there, it was a matter of changing the view perspective... zoom to extents... and center as needed.

I've learned a lot from all of the posts you provide in the forums. Thanks for being a great resource.

Jeff
JWeb  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 2:23:38 PM(UTC)
JWeb

Perhaps I spoke too soon. This method works almost perfectly... except, a "TOP" view of a plate that is inclined at 15 degrees will necessarily be foreshortened. That is, the plate is actually 25.25" (x-axis) by 15.5" (y-axis), inclined at 15 degrees along y-axis. So, when viewed from the top, the y-axis measures 14.97" which is (15.5) x cos(15). That all make perfect sense and is certainly not the fault of Shark. (The same happens if I let model-to-sheet create the views).

This is where my ignorance of CAD and standard practice shows. How would I produce a sheet view of this part that clearly shows the dimension? A trimetric view looks correct, but it seems nearly impossible to dimension this clearly on a sheet view.
L. Banasky  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 4:18:59 PM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Hi Jeff,
If you give a sheet metal shop 3 views, they can figure out the sheared size, it's done by "Triangulation", or "True Length Lines". If you can still find a copy of "Sheet Metal Layout Simplified" volume 3 by Hugh B. Reid, you will be able to layout almost anything. I took his classes 30+ years ago. He made you construct every fitting in the book out of manila construction paper.
Larry
zumer  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:10:08 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Assign a workplane to the face of your part, then choose view|view the plane. This will give you a true, un-forshortened view. Go to view|new view and give it a name. When you've model-to-sheeted, delete all but one of the default viewports. In that viewport, the right-click menu has a "change view" option. Use the view you've named to give the correct view. Select the viewport, pick the stretch indicator mark on the highlighted viewport edge, hold control and drag it off the side, which will unfold the ortho view to your original viewport. Drag the ortho view somewhere convenient, then select it and, holding control, drag the viewport edge back the way you came, which will unfold a copy of your original view. Shuffle your copy somewhere convenient, and repeat to get as many views as you need. It sounds awkward, but IMO it's a gem of a feature that doesn't get respect.