logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
punchwho  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 11:38:17 AM(UTC)
punchwho

Hello ViaCad users,

Found out about ViaCad through weldingweb.com. Most of my work is done with mild steel. Angle iron, tubing, plate etc. So the procedure for most projects is cut, drill and weld. I don't need anything fancy as far as software goes. Precise placement of holes, moving the holes on parts and ease of use is more important. Do any of you work with mild steel and use ViaCad as your software? Any suggestions specifically for using ViaCad and mild steel.

Thank you.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2013 11:55:21 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 23 post(s)
What are you aiming to achieve?

Do you want to intersect a stanchion to a baseplate/foundation, and then the fdn/bplt to a deck or slab or floor?

Do you want to simulate T and I stiffeners run along an inner shell plate?

Do you want to drill a hole through a pipe or plating to simulate lightening holes or rat holes?

Many of those efforts can be as simple as creating planes or discs using 2 parallel lines with a surface between them, or by using a circle with a surface made from the "Cover Surface" tool to cut or Boolean other objects.

Angle irons or sideshell or plate stiffeners can be created bt creating a web and a flange and then using the "One Rail Sweep" tool to sweep the surfaces, which then can be thickened. Some csn be adjusted in thickness even after reopening the file.

To create sideshell stiffener curves that can be moved later without recreating each surface and dependent solid, use the "Project Curve Surface" tool on a line that represents the thrown line. But, do it with the Ctrl key, so you can embed the curve (which will become a spline) intomthe surface. Then, if you longitudinally slide the guide line or parent line for, say, a sideshell stiffener or stud in a house wall, the spline that moves causes any dependant/dependent lines to move, causing simultaneous moving of associated surfaces, which causes movement of associated solids.

If you have the trial or activated VCP 7 or 8 or Shark LT v 8, play with the "Push-Pull" tool. For example, creat, in plan view, several overlapping circles, some hexagons, etc. Then.via the PP tool, hover the mouse pointer over an intersected out non set area. Click it ONCE, then let go of the mouse. Hit your preselected key to get into an ortho view, then use the Tab key to get the cursor into the input field to tell VCP or Shark to what distance to move or raise (do not confuse with "elevate surface") the surface. It raises as a solid, ehich you can later hollow out via the "Shell" tool. You can thn make a city that way.

If you want to make a topography of a landscape, creat an area of surface to encompass you play city. Then, use the relevant tool to add control points tomthat surface. Then, in a convenient view, raise and lower control points singly or randomly to creat contours of the "terrain" you are after.

Have fun!
memphisjed  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 8:18:33 PM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I use viapro 6 and love it. I tried version 8 and was not yippie about the push pull trying to be google not cad option.
most steel detailing can be done in 2d, the 3d options and materials in 3d are nice for center of mas and weights for lifting and lug placement. There are not the same libraries of structural shapes for vc as with autodesk and proe, but generally I use 3d more for weight, and extrude close enough cross sections.
I find it easier to use than autocad in 2d, but that could be familiarity - in 3d punch products are way faster, better, stronger, cheaper in every metric.
I use vcp semi professionally on public art detailing, forgings, and for nc files in a large steel shop where I am misc fabricator, machine maintenance, and cnc op.
You will not go wrong with punch, just avoid the push pull tool or everything will look like it was done on google, not by a real professional.