logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lazydrawer  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2010 4:36:08 AM(UTC)
Lazydrawer

Hi,

I think over a purchase of Shark LT (at most Shark, because of the price). As an occassional user I look for the best combination "smart" parametric 3d CAD with good renderer for a long time. And the Shark very "addresses" me. But incidentally I discovered "Luxology Modo" and I was very nicely surprise at it. The potentialities and also the price are very interesting, I think. Have you anybody experiences with that tool? At least some comparison would be good for me. Thanks.

Regards,
Lazydrawer
misterrogers  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2010 10:33:08 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

I use Shark primarily for manufacturing because it is precision 2D/3D CAD at a very reasonable price. Besides being ridiculously easy to use and understand, and depending upon the complexity of the product, I can go from flat 2D CAD to perfect 3D model to precise manufacturing drawings in a few hours. The work-flow is exceptionally ideal for my work.

Modo is something I'd use if I wanted to make a pretty "artsy" rendering for the sales department to use. I don't know how well it works for manufacturing.

Shark offers pretty good rendering for what it costs, considering Rhino has very limited rendering capabilities unless you buy the separate renderer (Flamingo).

Aside from it's cost-prohibitive nature, Solidworks is about the only other program I would consider.
Lazydrawer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:05:50 AM(UTC)
Lazydrawer

Thank you, misterrogers!
You ratify my own, maybe a laic judgement. My dreamery about perfect rendering began when I saw mlochala's pictures of Tim Olson's fancy car. They are pritty nice, but I would like to see some good tutorial "how to draw an EXISTING car" (in Shark, of course). And my wishlist for next version grew now for Shark output for Pov-ray. Is it so impossible (Tim?) ;)
Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 9:41:23 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lazydrawer Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I think over a purchase of Shark LT (at most Shark, because of the price).

Shark FX = $495 (as an upgrade from viacad 2d/3d V6 etc and some other cad products)

http://www.punchcad.com/index_pro.htm

- Steve
mlochala  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 10:15:38 AM(UTC)
mlochala

Oh man, I wish I could afford to do that right now...unfortunately things are going to be tight for quite a while here. One of these days, though, I want to move up to Shark FX.
Lazydrawer  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:56:46 PM(UTC)
Lazydrawer

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
Shark FX = $495 (as an upgrade from viacad 2d/3d V6 etc and some other cad products)

http://www.punchcad.com/index_pro.htm

- Steve

Steve,
I'm completely amazed! So if I'd buy now e.g. ViaCAD 2D v6 ($49), I can then upgrade to FX ? I looked at that message and I didn't believe my eyes !!!
I only have a license of very nice and smart (I think), but yet recondite CAD - "SolveSpace", which does not mentioned in the list.
I should not forgo such occasion...

Regards,
Lazydrawer
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 7:41:58 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lazydrawer Go to Quoted Post
So if I'd buy now e.g. ViaCAD 2D v6 ($49), I can then upgrade to FX ?

Hi,

Yes, just purchase 2D then upgrade.

edit: but note, the offer ends in 7 days.

- Steve
Lazydrawer  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 8:31:41 AM(UTC)
Lazydrawer

Hi,

FX is my !

Lazydrawer-Faultyrimer :D